Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
19Fordy

Default Pearl Harbor Day

THANK YOU to all WW II vets who served and literally saved the world.
THANK YOU also to all other vets past and present and to all those on the home front -each in their own way. We must never forget. My dad, somewhere in France, 1945. 3rd Armored Div.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0346b.jpg (40.8 KB, 79 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:55 PM   #2
50fordcoupeman

Default Re: Pearl Harbor Day

I, for one, salute him!!
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:12 PM   #3
GaryU.

I always think of all our veterans on this day especially my Great-Uncle Art who even though he was in his 30's served as a truck driver throughout Europe during W.W. II. That was his civilian occupation pre-war and the photo album's he had were amazing.He was a accomplished hobby photographer and took photos everywhere he went.
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #4
bmwboxerboy

My grandfather, Joe, was a farm boy from Southern Idaho, and was on the Shaw in dry dock when the events of Pearl Harbor went down (9/11 of that period). He went on and survived the war, and he was one of the best human beings I have ever known. I account my fascination with this period (1930s) in part to him. I don’t think that I’ll ever own a Diamond T truck that he always spoke highly of on the farm, but I think of him when I see them or the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bmwboxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:55 PM   #5
adileo

My Dad (on right) 11 armored division also 1945, in France 👍
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3A5CAA93-9A21-47E2-8394-253B7425D2FA.jpg (28.2 KB, 39 views)

Andy
1952 F1
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:19 PM   #6
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by adileo View Post
My Dad (on right) 11 armored division also 1945, in France 👍
Big Fellow. I turned 10 0n 12/27/41 and "grew up" during the war. I recall all of the rationing, scrap drives, blackout drills, troop trains, air raid drills, News Reels in theaters about the war, Roosevelt's announcement of the raid on pearl harbor, the returning veterans. Fascinating and scary for a kid. Truly the greatest generation saved the world which unfortunately is in a different and worse danger today. Fact, not politics, Ryan.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #7
al's28/33

Times they have changed, now everything our Government tries to do becomes a political firestorm. During WWII, EVERYONE cooperated with rationing, scrap drives, blackout drills and such for the greater good of the Nation. Can't blink at anyone funny or you'll get sued these days, someone protests their feelings got hurt. Different times.

God Bless them for all their efforts, all their cooperation and all their sacrifice.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:31 PM   #8
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
Times they have changed, now everything our Government tries to do becomes a political firestorm. During WWII, EVERYONE cooperated with rationing, scrap drives, blackout drills and such for the greater good of the Nation. Can't blink at anyone funny or you'll get sued these days, someone protests their feelings got hurt. Different times.

God Bless them for all their efforts, all their cooperation and all their sacrifice.
Agree - the ability for these times to be different and for us to have the freedoms we value so greatly was earnt by that greatest generation
I salute them all!
Old 12-07-2020, 10:40 PM   #9
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
THANK YOU to all WW II vets who served and literally saved the world.
THANK YOU also to all other vets past and present and to all those on the home front -each in their own way. We must never forget. My dad, somewhere in France, 1945. 3rd Armored Div.
Agree -Sherman I believe -The Germans called them ""Ronsons"after the cigarette lighter as apparently they had a habit of going up in flames in battle . The Germans problem was that Detroit could make them and get them to Europe much faster than they could go up in flames. The manufacturing ability of the States during the war was incredible. A B24 off the Willow Run line every hour round the clock. A Liberty ship every 5 days from multiple yards.
A lesson for todays generation is what can be achieved if we all pull together rather than against each other !

Last edited by Karl; 12-08-2020 at 04:45 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:11 PM   #10
Als48

Thanks to those who posted pictures and stories of their dads and grandads who served in WWII. My dad Harold Hook, his brother Charles Glenn Hook and two of my mom's brothers all served in the war. One of her brothers, Robert Leroy Arivett, was wounded in one of the battles in France. Her brother Harold Arivett also served.

Dad also worked in a shipyard in Evansville, In. where they built LSTs (landing ship tanks), used for bringing troops ashore for the beach assaults such as Normandy.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #11
kbinde2

Checked with my dad (99 this past July 4th) last night after reading this thread, and his enlistment date was 29 December 1941. He became a Chief Machinist Mate on the USS Arikara, based on the west coast I believe.
A group of car enthusiasts in Rock Hill SC did a nice surprise birthday drive-by,
great job and he still talks about it..
Thanks to all who served, and those who currently serve. Salute..! kb
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote