Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #1
bnchief

Default Steering and tire pressure

Having just redone my model a steer box rebuit tight no binding shortened pittman arm synthetic grease teflon cups on drag link and and tie rod all ball are round and not worn. I have the car up on jack stands it seems a little stiff maybe because everything is new and snug but car turns from side to side no binding and is easy to turn. I am thinking air pressure could help this some i believe standard is 35 psi my tires are firestones could one bump the pressure a little. Also would radials help this? This is a 1930 tudor with standard wheels what size would you recommend.

Last edited by bnchief; 01-22-2017 at 08:44 AM.
bnchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
JDupuis

Default Re: Steering and tire pressure

bnchief, I would leave the tire pressure as is at 35 psi. Over inflating would make the steering seem easier when not in motion, but would guickly wear out the centre tread of the tire. Just my thought. Jeff
Old 01-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

The wider the tread, the stiffer to turn. One should only turn the wheel while the car is moving.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
bnchief

Do radials turn better than the regular tires
Old 01-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Have you road tested or just on the jack stands ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
JDupuis

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I wouldn't say that the radials "turn" better. They stay on the road better. They hug the road on long curves better, rather then "feathering" into another lane. They do aid in emergency braking, as they will adhere to the road better. As opposed the sliding on top of the road surface. Again this all differs in different weather conditions..... Hope this helps. Jeff
Old 01-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnchief View Post
Having just redone my model a steer box rebuit tight no binding shortened pittman arm synthetic grease teflon cups on drag link and and tie rod all ball are round and not worn. I have the car up on jack stands it seems a little stiff maybe because everything is new and snug but car turns from side to side no binding and is easy to turn. I am thinking air pressure could help this some i believe standard is 35 psi my tires are firestones could one bump the pressure a little. Also would radials help this? This is a 1930 tudor with standard wheels what size would you recommend.
I know I'm a "foreigner" here and that English is not my best language, but I'm reading this post for the past 5 minutes and I still can't figure out exactly what you mean !
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
bnchief

3.6 I assumed people knew what i was talking about for instance steering box was totally rebuilt and adjusted, I used the teflon cups in the drag link and the tie rod also front end was completely rebuilt and I put it on jack stands to see if it turned smoothly with no binding and it does it seems it could steer a little better but everything is tight so tires are my next question if you have more questions feel free to ask that is what the forum is for.

Wayne I have driven the car it steers straight does not wander just seems a little stiff need to follow up on tire pressure these tires are old but do not show and weather checking.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Drive it @ 35psi. I am sure u checked the king pins and thrust bearings, and have the box set to specs..
Agree with Jeff above about over inflation..

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-22-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #10
jm29henry

My opinion,would be leave tire pressure alone .If you were driving a with a tired front end ,and now everything is brand new it might just take a little time to get used to it. Could you possibly loosen the adjustment nut that puts pressure on the worm gear?
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #11
bnchief

Steering box is rebuilt and adjusted with all new bearings and worm and works very smoothly and has 600w oil as well these all turn very smoothly and freely with car on jack stands i followed les andrews book to the letter And yes mitch front end completely rebuilt and checked as per book spindles are a little snug but can be turned easily I put the car on stands to see if i got any binding or hard turning smooth feels like it has power steering. Car on the ground a little stiffer maybe my tire pressure is not up to what it should be i will check that next.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

As Tom said just turn as your rolling
Old 01-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #13
Gold Digger

I personally like to shorten the pitman arm. It makes a world of difference on my cars about the effort it takes to turn.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #14
bnchief

Gold digger it has the shortened pitman arm
Old 01-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #15
bnchief

I do that Mitch it just seemed a little stiff but then nothing is worn now I think tires is where i look which is why i asked about the radials
Old 01-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #16
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Try it in the ice and snow
Old 01-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #17
bnchief

That was last weekend 3" of rain frozen of course, next thing you will want me to lock the hubs and put it in 4 wheel drive.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #18
larrys40

There are a lot of things that can cause tight steering. If you've redone the box and it is smooth on the bench.... then hopefully that is out of the equation. As Mitch stated 35PSI should be good... and yes you have to gauge steering when moving.
Other items include:
1. steering balls and end plugs... I Highly recommend the steer-eze kit adjusted properly
2. as Mitch stated the spindle bolt load ( must be properly loaded and shimmed if necessary - can have a great impact
3. proper toe in - please make sure it's checked with an accurate tool. There's lots of inaccurate methods touted but I would use an accurate toe in gauge or take it to someone who can accurately check it. You would be surprised how much difference this can make.
4. make sure your front spring isn't sagging which if severe can cause the drag link and tie rod to rub. Many original units have evidence of this.

5. proper lubrication on all components including spindles. The spindle bolt loading and bearings are key here. with the car down if you can rotate the spindle bolt bearings it is not riding on them.

Check all the above and hopefully you will find something to fix and improve upon.
Keep us posted!! Maybe post a pic or two of your front end.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #19
bnchief

Thank you Larry
1. balls perfect no wear steer-eze kit installed ran end plug in until i could get a cotter key in no more everything greased well with mobil 1 synthetic grease
2. new bearings king pins and bushings no wear new bearing and loaded as specified by les andrews book
3. Not sure on this i will get it checked out
4. Springs no sag lubriplated and are ok no problem there
5. Not a problem there.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:21 PM   #20
Mitch//pa
BANNED

To add onto #4 of Larry's good list..
Make sure the tie-rod is not rubbing the drag link.. a sign of a weak spring