Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
Bassman/NZ

Default Door gap question....

My 28 tudor project has big gaps at the bottom of the doors. Not at the edges, but at the bottom. I've got a nice fit from top to bottom of the edges, but between the door bottom and the subframe there is a gap going from zero at the front of the door to about 3/4" at the rear of the door. Is there some sort of sill plate goes here, other than the shiny embossed one? Excuse my ignorance, I started with a bare, stripped out shell, so I have to rely on pics and catalogs to see what's what.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: Door gap question....

I'm not quite clear from your description. If you close the doors and look at the door overlap as viewed from the rear of the car, is the bottom of the door sticking out from the body or is is snug against the body from top to bottom?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Turley View Post
Do you have the door bottom seal installed? MAC's catalog part #A45988. Bratton's catalog part #31510.
Does this apply to the Budd cab pickups also? I notice that there isn't a seal there on mine, just didn't know if it was suppose to be there or not. I have the seal from Macs, just haven't put it on yet, wasn't sure if it was even suppose to be there or not.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
I'm not quite clear from your description. If you close the doors and look at the door overlap as viewed from the rear of the car, is the bottom of the door sticking out from the body or is is snug against the body from top to bottom?
No, it's the gap you'd see when lying under the car looking up at the door.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Turley View Post
Do you have the door bottom seal installed? MAC's catalog part #A45988. Bratton's catalog part #31510.
No, I dont. Thanks Don, I'll check that out. This is what I started with, so this is the sort of info I need. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
Marco Tahtaras

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
No, it's the gap you'd see when lying under the car looking up at the door.
If all your door gaps look good BUT you have an uneven gap between the floor side sill and the bottom of the door YOU HAVE A PROBLEM that should be addressed before moving forward. The lower door seal will not compensate for such a problem.

With proper photos I'm sure many of us can lead you to the cause and correction of the problem.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
mkmskm

My Tudor does the same thing, the doors fit fine at the top but there is a 1/2" gap at the bottom. Most in the local club has just suggested that the door needs to be opened, grabbed and twisted back to a better shape but I'm not keen on that idea. I do need a better fit though as it like to pop open to the second catch when you hit a large bump.
mkmskm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Purdy Swoft

It will usually have to do with proper shimming between the body and the frame.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:29 AM   #9
Gus

Hi Bassman, I am part way through my Tudor resto, and have the same issue. In this pic I have temporarily fitted a door. The gap down the back edge needs some work (the door has had a lower patch so the profile needs adjusting, and the door is not fully latched closed) but is close. The gap you mention is along the bottom edge between the door and the sill right? I have a large gap too but have yet to tackle the doors so haven't given it too much thought. The fit is great all round. My initial assessment was the rubber seal that runs along the bottom of the door (off the bottom of the upholstery I think) will close the gap. There just seems no way the bottom of the door could possibly get closer to the sill. When I next see a finished Model A I will definately check it out!

Gus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9 small.jpg (164.7 KB, 43 views)
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
My 28 tudor project has big gaps at the bottom of the doors. Not at the edges, but at the bottom. I've got a nice fit from top to bottom of the edges, but between the door bottom and the subframe there is a gap going from zero at the front of the door to about 3/4" at the rear of the door. Is there some sort of sill plate goes here, other than the shiny embossed one? Excuse my ignorance, I started with a bare, stripped out shell, so I have to rely on pics and catalogs to see what's what.
The part in bold above is the part most readers are overlooking. There SHOULD be a gap that appears large when viewing at an angle. However the gap should be EVEN front to rear.