Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
ole39

Default timing problem

here we go again, just put an old mallory dual point mech adv and nos bullet coil in my 8ba. its an 1/8 over, with a 400jr, and a rebuilt 94. just got dist back from bubba, carb was rebuilt by kenct. tried to time it with the light, the bump on the pully is all over the place. the long standing problem i've had, with the original dist was, when set on timing mark, it ran good till mid throttle, then started to lose power, and runs rough. now, when i set timing by ear, i run it up to where it runs rough, turn dist clock wise till it smooths out, but then, it runs really hot! i have fooled with this thing for along time, and am close to calling it quits! HELP!!!
ole39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Old Henry

Default Re: timing problem

In my opinion setting timing for best performance is more important than engine temperature. Sure, the engine is going to run a little hotter when it's running right but it's not going to boil the water out which is all that matters. If that's your only complaint about the timing that makes the engine run best I wouldn't worry about it. To ease your mind about running hot you might want to review my recent experience on a trip with the temperature gauge pegged past "H" most of the time. Here: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74987

I don't think high engine temperature is as bad as some think.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Butch11443

After your done setting your timing, check your plugs to see if your rich or lean. Also, what do you consider hot?
Butch
Butch11443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
ole39

will check plugs, hot.......temp gauge buried, water coming out over flow, but, that was at idle, in garage, 96 degrees.......forgot to put box fan in front of rad. in town, red fluid is about 1/16th from top of gauge.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole39 View Post
will check plugs, hot.......temp gauge buried, water coming out over flow, but, that was at idle, in garage, 96 degrees.......forgot to put box fan in front of rad. in town, red fluid is about 1/16th from top of gauge.
There is no timing that would cause the engine to get so hot that it boils over like that. Your overheating situation is caused by something else. Your engine shouldn't boil over as long as your stock fan is turning even at idle and 96 deg. I'd leave the timing set at what runs the engine best and work on the overheating problem seperately.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
JWL
Member Emeritus

From your description it sounds like there is way too much mechanical advance in the distributor for the compression and fuel octane. Put a 20 degree mark on the pulley, rev the engine to about 2500-3000 and set timing to that mark. It might not want to idle with that setting but if it runs reasonably well above idle it demonstrates that the mechanical advance will need to be further limited so some static timing advance can be utlized to help the idle and low speed characteristics. Yes, if the timing is retarded it will run hot-hot-hot.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
There is no timing that would cause the engine to get so hot that it boils over like that. Your overheating situation is caused by something else. Your engine shouldn't boil over as long as your stock fan is turning even at idle and 96 deg. I'd leave the timing set at what runs the engine best and work on the overheating problem seperately.
Oops. Forgot that you don't have a "normal" engine which may well heat up more with anything wrong including timing.

What JWL said. . . .
Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
George/Maine

If you can watch the advance when you rev it up to it stops and let it settel down.
If you mark 1 1/2" pass bump thats about full advance.disconnect valcume line.
Then take it for a spin and see if it overheats when moving.If its ok I,d go with electric fan if gets hot at idle,house fan don,t think it good enought.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Another area of potential instability: The 2-piece cap Mallories were made both as centrifugal only and with vacuum brake (same fundamental design as flathead distributor, which was based on Mallory patents in a couple of areas).
If yours was built as vac and the piston or friction pad is not in there, the brake disk is free to float through its designed range of motion.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
flatjack9

First you need to find out why the timing is not steady. You talk about the problem with the old distributor, does the new one act the same?
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
cmbrucew

Ole39

Give Bubba a call.
888 809 3835
Likely he will be able to assist you.

Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
ole39

with the loadamatic, the bump didnt bounce around, but if i set it on the mark, good till mid range, then started losing power, pull advace line, ran fine. just got old mallory back from bubba,now the bump bounces around. it has the vaccum port, but fitting is not there, just plugged, it sounds like i need it? do i just need a fitting and a line like what comes out of the carb?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

The stock 8BA distributor has no weights .The advance is all controlled by the vacuum its a must to have that connected ,a pipe from above the throttle plate from the Carb is all you need .Don't rely fully on the Temp gauge Red liquid type .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 06-29-2012 at 04:49 AM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole39 View Post
with the loadamatic, the bump didnt bounce around, but if i set it on the mark, good till mid range, then started losing power, pull advace line, ran fine. just got old mallory back from bubba,now the bump bounces around. it has the vaccum port, but fitting is not there, just plugged, it sounds like i need it? do i just need a fitting and a line like what comes out of the carb?

On the old Mallorys I usually plug the vacuum brake but leave the piston and spring in the distributor for a slight drag to prevent the timing jerk ( bump).

We have done a ton of Mallorys the last few months.
Before you do much more sent it back to me for a retest and i will make sure we have that vacuum brake adjusted to idle with out a movement etc.
I will fix and send back to ya the day i recieve it, you just never know on some of the older units...?????
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
ole39

ok jim, sounds good to me, will probably be in a week or so, as i am leaving on vacation in the morning.need a break from these flatheads!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #16
Charlie ny
BANNED

While you are on vacation think about a Chevy Delco dist reworked for
the 8ba....with the can, it's the one to beat.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote