Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #21
Justresearching

Default Re: Ford truck identification

I think it was just a general purpose trailer if I'm honest. (I know the last owner said he used it for his motorcycle)

I would never go that fast with any trailer. 65mph is my usual max with an occasional passing maneuver if needed.

You did actually hit on something though which caused me much annoyance when I bought my last car. An identical vehicle sold both in Europe and the US will have 2 different tow ratings. The U.S version will almost always have a far lower rating even if the physical vehicle is no different. This is why in Europe you will see even small VWs Polos and Fiats pulling trailers but in the U.S it is almost exclusively trucks and SUVs. It all comes down to driver training and liability. In Europe driver training is far more extensive and can include trailer pulling training. In the U.S you can get a license and go out and pull a trailer on your first day even if you have never done it before and don't know what you are doing. This is where the lower ratings come in.....with lower weights the margin of safety while towing is increased particuraly with a heavier towing vehicle.
Justresearching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:52 PM   #22
Justresearching

Default Re: Ford truck identification

I've actually been mostly done for a few days but I haven't had a chance to make an update but here is the end result! (After taking this picture I just needed to reattach the coupler, spare tire, jack and put the lights back on. All are done except the last item.)

Justresearching is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)