Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2019, 11:19 PM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Bolt oreintation on the Model A/AA Fords...

There are a few spots on the Model A/AA Ford where one can insert a bolt in either direction to attach a fixture.

Is there mention of specific "Correct Bolt Orientation" for any of the assemblies in the Standards OR can we put them in the way we think and be done with it?

For instance...which way does the bolt attachment go when assembling the generator to the engine? Bolt head to the front or bolt head to the rear?

How about the 1928 Rear Tail Light Assembly to the Tail Light bracket? Bolt head to the body or bolt head to the rear?

How about Rear Bumpers to Rear Bumper Brackets...Bolt head to the inside or bolt head to outside?

Any other assemblies where one has a choice of doing so?

Hmmmmmmm?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:00 AM   #2
Bill G

Default Re: Bolt oreintation on the Model A/AA Fords...

On my '29 with the early tail light, I put the two bolts that hold the license plate bracket to the cast iron arm so that you see the heads when looking at it from the rear. In other words, the nuts were toward the front of the car. It just seemed that way felt right. My generator was such that the head of the main bolt was to the front, and the nut at the rear.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
Gary Karr

I think that if not covered in the RG&JS, you need to imagine how it would have been put together as going down the assembly line. What would be the easiest way for that person to insert a bolt and then put on a lock washer and nut, then tighten it with the wrench he was using. On the early taillamp mentioned above, one would assume that the bolt heads would face out as that looks cleaner. Where on the other hand, it might have been that the nuts and lock washers face out, to the rear as that was the faster way to put it all together as the vehicle moved down the line.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
Jw

Bolt Oreintation, I always look at Factory Photos or factory assembly "videos" for fastener oreintation, cool stuff there!
Jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
Will N

Part of me tends to agree with Gary K that it was probably based on the easiest way to insert and tighten the nut/bolt while moving down the line. It could be that right and left handed workers did it differently! But another part of me thinks that Henry had every assembly process broken down into a series of the most time/motion saving steps, and the direction of the bolt was a standard requirement of the worker doing the task.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:35 PM   #6
blgitn

I agree that bolt-nut orientation must have been assembly line driven. What about the split rivets that hold the hood welt to the radiator shell? Shouldn't the split end be in the welting, like brakes or transmission bands? The rivets always seem to be backwards.
blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:32 PM   #7
Stew Masche

The Judging Standards do specify bolt orientation on some assemblies. It also states that rivets in the radiator shell welting should have the heads facing outwards. I could find if it specified for the generator mounting or for the '28 taillight mounting though.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:32 PM   #8
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
What would be the easiest way for that person to insert a bolt and then put on a lock washer and nut, then tighten it with the wrench he was using.
Possibly, ... But what about the Variable of the installer being Left or Right handed?
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:10 AM   #9
blgitn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew Masche View Post
The Judging Standards do specify bolt orientation on some assemblies. It also states that rivets in the radiator shell welting should have the heads facing outwards. I could find if it specified for the generator mounting or for the '28 taillight mounting though.
Dang, then mine are in backwards. There goes my resale value!
blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote