Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #1
RalphG

Default 52 Speaker

Looks like I need a new speaker if I have any hopes of this radio in the 52 Merc working. Are there any guidelines to keep in mind when shopping for one or just anything that will fit the opening in the dash?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0279[1].jpg (74.3 KB, 23 views)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: 52 Speaker

Save those speakers to check the size measurements against the replacements you find.
Measure the size of the distance between mounting holes and look for corresponding speakers. Those look like standard 6 x 8 speakers. Here's some on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-XW7F-1...-/161766638238
Also, do a Google search for EAB 18808-A and speakers appear.
Read up on how to determine speaker size here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Introduction-48/

Today's technology far supasses 1952 quality.I bought these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-Pyle-...!US!-1&vxp=mtr
Also, check this out and read all attached links.
http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=3058.0

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-07-2017 at 06:30 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
Paul Bennett

Unfortunately most everyone does NOT have equipment to make speaker measurements. One cannot simply use dc ohms as the measurement is an AC mearusement done at the full output range. Amplifiers will traditionally be between 2 and 20 ohm output. Different manufactures will use 400 or 1000 hz for characterizing a speaker. Since 2 ohm speakers (used on law enforcment 2 way radios and 50 ohm speakers are just not used any longer on new equipment. You can be assured that any speaker bought today will be characterized as between 4 and 16 ohms which will work fine and your radio.

As to the guideline question, 6x9 speakers quality will vary in price from $1 to $200+. That eBay speaker looks good but... For auto radios, speakers with additional small speakers (coaxial or triaxial) are a waste of money. Your ears will not tell any difference. Cheap speakers will have cones made of paper or coated paper which will not last more than a few years. Better speaker will have stronger magnets and will use poly plastic cones. Personally I would chose this speaker which is $14.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
rotorwrench

Check with Turnswitch. They have modern type speakers that will work. If it had an electro-magnet speaker then that part can be disconnected when running with a permanent magnet speaker but. If not, their speaker is just install, connect, and go.
http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #5
RalphG

Thanks for all the good info so far. This speaker is just a fraction over 6x9 but would probably be sold as a 6x9. The one on amazon looks good, of course it is more expensive here in Canada ($19.00) plus shipping. I might check locally. Princess Auto or Canadian Tire can surprise me some times. https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8735680e
I don't even know if this radio works although my brother claims it was working when he parked the car in about 1980. Signs of water leakage onto the top of the case but it looks ok inside so I'm hopeful. Got some wiring that is hard to figure out and I'll try to post a picture here later in case anybody can tell me what goes where.

Last edited by RalphG; 12-07-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #6
D. Jones

Better have a radio tech check it out prior to putting power to it. If you let the smoke out it's hard to put back in.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #7
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Jones View Post
Better have a radio tech check it out prior to putting power to it. If you let the smoke out it's hard to put back in.
That would have been a lot easier 30 some years ago when we still had local readio techs. They are few and far between (if they still exist) these days. I've had this radio powered up in the car and the dial lights up but no sound obviously which I'm assuming is just due to the speaker cone disintegrated. .
Old 12-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #8
gearhead1952

You can have that speaker reconed since it looks to be in nice shape. That is a 6x9 four ohm unit. I have bought from turnswitch and also had some reconed. I like the look of reconed better.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
54vicky

Ralph those radios used a vibrator when you power it you should hear a humming sound.while not proof it is ok it will be a good sign.
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
rotorwrench

The vibrator should be humbing away but even it it works, there could be some bad capacitors or tubes. When techs check these old radio sets out, they usually replace all the old caps first. They test the tubes and replace as necessary. If the vibrator is non functional, many times they just need the vibrator points cleaned. Solid state PDC devices are available as replacements but they are polarity sensitive.

All the old automotive sets are set to AM frequencies but these units have very good amplifiers and can have MP3 input through the antenna for more choice of music programing. The really great thing about the old sets is that they are easy to repair. You can get to everything in the chassis easily and a person doesn't have to worry about ruining a circuit board when soldering.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-08-2017 at 06:37 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #11
RalphG

Not knowing what I am doing I don't think I will bench test it. Seems I have heard you can get a pretty good shock off them?
The old speaker looks pretty good except for the deteriorated paper cone so I guess rebuilding might be an option. I think for a test I would just find something cheap to install and try out. Save the old speaker for someone else to rebuild some day.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:13 PM   #12
drolston

If the radio is working except for a disintegrated speaker cone, you should still get at least a very weak sound from the speaker.

You might try removing each vacuum tube and spray the prongs with some electronic contact cleaner and put them back in while still wet. Wiggle them around a little. It is more likely that some of the capacitors have disintegrated with age, and lost their capacitance value.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #13
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
If the radio is working except for a disintegrated speaker cone, you should still get at least a very weak sound from the speaker.

You might try removing each vacuum tube and spray the prongs with some electronic contact cleaner and put them back in while still wet. Wiggle them around a little. It is more likely that some of the capacitors have disintegrated with age, and lost their capacitance value.
I suspect this speaker was not even connected to the radio. When I took it out there was only one set of wires hooked up and I think it was for the rear speaker. Never heard a sound from that one and I don't even know if the wires are connected all the way to the rear deck.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:32 PM   #14
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

I think you can have speakers Reconed, have no idea of the cost
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #15
JAKEFORD

Ralph
I have replaced several 6x9 speakers with the following method:

- Trace the outsde outline on a piece of 1/4 inch plywood and cut it out marking and drilling the mounting holes. You now have an adapter plate

- Find a good speaker that will fit within the boundaries and cut out the necessary center hole.

- A lot of old ford radios used a 3.2 or 4 ohm speaker but anything up to 8 ohms should work fine.

- I found a nice speaker at "Electronic Goldmine" on the internet. It is a 5 1/4 inch round dual cone speaker rated at 20 watts. Price is 5.95 each. Part no is G18930.

Hope this helps .
JAKEFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:52 PM   #16
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKEFORD View Post
Ralph
I have replaced several 6x9 speakers with the following method:

- Trace the outsde outline on a piece of 1/4 inch plywood and cut it out marking and drilling the mounting holes. You now have an adapter plate

- Find a good speaker that will fit within the boundaries and cut out the necessary center hole.
Hope this helps .
Thanks, thats an idea I'll keep in mind if the right size one does not seem available (at the right price).