Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
H. L. Chauvin

Default K.R. Wilson Tool; Adjusting Shock Absorbers

FWIW:

A. Never heard of anyone on Forums having a K. R. Wilson shock absorbing adjusting tool made for Ford in 1931, & never saw this tool offered by vendors. Appears it would take the guess work out of "balancing" shock absorber resistance from left to right & front to back on the four (4) Model A corners.

B. In any case in thinking of making a tool like this to adjust original shocks, I thought about recording the following information as shown below.

C. Any & all corrections to information below is most certainly welcomed.

1. In the book, "Model A Ford Service Bulletins, Complete", on the February 1931 Bulletin page 538, (book page 263), Figures 1099 & 1100 show photographs of a K.R. Wilson Tool, used to test Model A Front & Rear shock absorber strengths & adjustments for winter & summer temperatures.

2. Instructions include to install the shock tool, raise shock arm as high as it will go, & allow the tool to fall downward as low as the shock arm will descend & record the number of seconds it takes to fall from the high to the low shock arm position.

3. For both Front & Rear shocks, indicated shock times indicated are 15-1/2 seconds for summer temperatures & 58 seconds for winter temperatures with approximately 23 degrees of travel.

4. Made enlarged copies of both Figures & estimated scaled dimensions of this photographed tool as compared to the known diameter of the indicated front brake drum. All lengths estimated below are taken from centerlines of the tools individual arms at different linear angles.

5. In looking at Figure 1099, (Front Shock), from Point A centerline of the round Front Shock moving towards the front bumper, to a Point B centerline of first joint measures approximately 7-5/8" & this first bend is at approximately 120 degrees forward & downward.

6. From said Point B to the subsequent Point C centerline of the second joint measures approximately 10-3/4" & this second bend is at approximately 124 degrees; hence, it points 4 degrees more downward than the near horizontal tool part attached to the shock arm.

7. From Point C to the center far end of the indicated metal weight measures approximately 11-7/8".

8. The side elevation of the weight measures approximately 3" x 3", & judging from the foreshortened perspective of the thickness of the weight when compared to the foreshortened perspective of the "width" of the brake drum perimeter, this weight appears to be approximately 1" thick.

9. If this weight is 1" thick, is 3" x 3", & has a volume of (9) cubic inches, which if made of steel it should weigh approximately (2-1/2) pounds using a nominal steel density of approximately 480 lbs./cu. ft.

10. Appears that this tool would not be too difficult to make & it could be attached to & become an integral part of an old shock arm.

P.S.:

(I) In a straight line from the center of shock, Point A, to the center of the approximately 3" x 3" metal weight, this dimension scales approximately 24-7/16"; & again in a straight line, from Point A to the center far forward end of the 3' x 3" weight beyond the front bumper, this dimensions scales approximately 27".

(II) With such a wide range of time specified in seconds between winter & summer temperatures, appears as a minimum, a tool like this could at least better "balance" the transverse & diagonal Model A bounce effect on our less maintained "Farm to Market Roads", especially with the side to side rocking front & rear Model A spring arrangement.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-09-2014 at 09:10 PM. Reason: P. S. Added
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: K.R. Wilson Tool; Adjusting Shock Absorbers

I have been trying to get the information.

I know of where one is, but getting the information from the person would not be easy. So I wait patiently.

If anyone else can come up with dimensions and weights it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
I have been trying to get the information.

I know of where one is, but getting the information from the person would not be easy. So I wait patiently.

If anyone else can come up with dimensions and weights it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Has anyone looked at the Assembly Drawings to see if any specifications are on the prints?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
larrys40

One just sold on eBay recently but it was missing the attaching link from the shock to the test arm. The test arm was also used with the test holding fixture which has the limit travel pins on it . I have the Krw shock tools except the test arm with moveable weight and the double curve service tool , which was part of the recent lot. I think it sold for about $1300 .
You could send the seller a note to see if he would share the purchasers name
I know Tim hill has one (kr Wilson tools website) maybe he would help ? Also might see if Tim Johnstone has one as I think he does .

Larry s
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
Wick

If I remember I will take pictures of everything for the shock tool and post them.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

Again FWIW:

a. Until more K. R. Wilson tool information is discovered, "if" someone wanted to try to make such a shock adjusting tool, because of the small amount of torque applied to the end of the tool's arm, it appears that the tool's arm is manufactured similarly in weight to a handle on a small crescent wrench.

b. Just one suggestion for an arm for a tool similar to this, (& other suggestions for arms are limitless), one could fabricate a similar angular arm with one inch (1") square tubing from Home Depot or Lowe's.

c. Joints where the arm changes direction could either be welded for those having welding machines, or even through bolted with four (4) 1/8" diameter through bolts provided through two (2) 1/8" x 1" wide side plates, one (1) on each side of each joint.

d. Suggestions for the weight attached to the end of the arm are too many to list herein.

e. If the K. R. Wilson's tool's end weight is later exactly identified along with the exact length to the weight's centerline, this homemade tool's weight could be adjusted to replicate the K.R. Wilson tool's torque amount in exact foot-pounds.

f. One more suggestion from past experience:

Just in case one goes to Home Depot this weekend to buy similar materials to build this tool, & a young hardware salesman ask if he can help, unless, one has four (4) to five (5) hours to waste, don't even try to explain the function of a Model A Houdaille shock. LOL
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

You can always just say it's for a special project. Thats what I do when I go to parts store and ask for a part different than the car I am working on, such as a Pinto brake booster for 46 Ford Coupe.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote