Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
newshirt

Default Mixed results at Chickasha

My mission at Chickasha was to complete my first Model A tool kit with originals. I didn't quite make it.

I asked nearly every vendor if they had a Model A jack, tire pump, original owner's manual, or hand tools. (Plus I dug through their boxes thoroughly.) With nearly 5 million Model A's built, you'd think these items would be plentiful. But nearly every vendor said, "No, I didn't bring any of that stuff." At first I just said, "Okay, thanks!" but then started asking why not. The answers fell into two categories: 1) "I'm hanging onto those because they are becoming scarce" and 2) "I've got twenty of those dumb jacks, but I brought that junk every year, for years, and nobody bought them. So I'm not lugging them again." Sometimes I didn't even have to ask... one guy volunteered the answer before I even said another word... he went on for two or three minutes about how nobody buys Model A stuff, so why lug it every year. Okay, whatever...

I'm starting to wonder if these items come in waves. E.g. next year there will be dozens of jacks and air pumps, and the year after there will be none.

But I did get business cards from several guys that claimed to have an abundance of these "scarce" items. So I'll contact them next week and buy privately. No biggie... Or PM me if you have an A-17080-A jack or an original 1928/29 owner's manual for reasonable prices.

Here's a surprise: One guy went back to his shop this morning just to fill a list of tools I had asked about! Now there's a good guy!!!

My uneducated assessment of Chickasha 2013 is: 5% Model A, 70% Model T, 25% all other cars combined. Your mileage may vary.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: Mixed results at Chickasha

Sounds like you had about the same luck I had finding the missing tools there afew years ago. I will be getting a list together of my extra stuff, but it will be for trade only when I do. Last count I had 14 cranks, atleast 15 spark plug wrenches, several different tire irons, 4 extra monkey wrenches and 2 later Model A jacks. The jack handle is the wrong one for my car, but being held ransom for the correct one. I think we are both looking for nearly the same tools, so likely we are in competition. I did however have a very successful hunt for missing parts fro the delivery and Dad's coupe. dad is still missing the belttail moulding, but I atleast have a good lead on one for him next time we travel North of here. Rod
Old 03-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
TinCup

More T's there than in years past. The Model A vendors were noticeably absent. I left with 3 of the 4 items I was looking for. The guy that is normally there with Model A jacks wasn't in his usual spot.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
gwhite

This was my first venture to Chickasha...I was shocked at all the T stuff! Picked up a very nice T Roadster body and an oil pan for my A motor, so I'm a happy camper!

gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
bartmcneill

Model A stuff was not abundant to say the least. Where were all the buildable coupe bodies like were there last year. I had money in my pocket, lots of it but did not buy anything but a couple of good rib dinners for my brother and me. I guess I should understand, one look at the weather forecast and I backed out of bringing my Model A stuff. If you want to see my A tudor, see at www.picturetrail.com/bartmcneill I will try to get some new pics of the wood I am installing in the top and put in.
bartmcneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
Arlen

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Way to much T stuff this year. Did see a pretty nice set of 30/31 standard phaeton rear doors for $1500. Some pretty nice front fenders around too. Saw some interesting early 28 stuff too. The round front spindles, splash aprons, cast iron running board brackets with the boards, and an early 28 head light switch for the bottom of the column. Guess I just have to wait for Hershey. It never let's me down.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #7
Gary Karr

I just got home from Chickasha and I've gotta say, I saw no less than 4 original Model A tire pumps in various conditions. I thought that there was a lot of Model A stuff. I bought several nice items as well as several NOS items. Mostly, it was a good time to see friends and kick tires.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #8
Terry, NJ

I ran into the "Nobody wants model A stuff anymore" syndrome from a couple of dealers at Hershey. One guy wanted to sell me all his stuff at about $0.10 on the dollar. That was easy to turn down, I couldn't find him again!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
xmarine

We also found little Model A parts there,but did get out of there before the rain started!Spent 4hrs there Wed and 3hrs on Thursday.
xmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
newshirt

Hey! I found an original 1928 owner's manual this morning that fits my March, 1929 car! $30. Yeaaaah!

Hope I didn't sound negative. Had a great time. Will come back next year.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
TinCup

You have to learn to not just look on the tables. I find more good stuff poked under the tables in boxes or crates and sometimes the seller says " I didn't know I had that".

Last edited by TinCup; 03-22-2013 at 10:29 AM.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
luckyal

It was our first and last trip to Chickasha. In my opinion it is grossly over rated ! It may have been good foe A parts in the past but its reputation is not deserved !
Definitely was not worth the trip !
Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
Jason in TX

I thought Chickasha was great! I agree that it wasn't overflowing with Model A parts, but I think that the quality of the Model A parts that I did see were over the top better than you usually see at any other swap meet.

Tons of Model A wheels. I found an almost cherry set of 30 front fenders for almost nothing. They were buried under 5 pairs of bad fenders. I guess no one looked.

There were OHV conversions. I saw a new Riley in the box, a complete set up including mag on a table, and one all set up on an engine ready to install in the car.

Boxes of NOS Mallory 2 piece caps, rotors, and a few condensers for Model A.

Watched a steel top vicky body that was extremely clean sell early Thursday morning. I wish I had bought it.

My buddy bought an almost perfect rear fender for 28-29. Another buddy bought an excellent Model A tire pump with nearly perfect original hose.

My other buddy was selling some rare early 28 splash aprons. No one was biting. He practically wanted to give them away because he has no use for them.

And then tons of unusual accessories... Aeromore whistles all over the place, rare gauges, turn signals, etc.

I think you had to dig a little bit, but I love Chickasha and always come home with some rare unique stuff I can't find at any other swap meet around here.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
Ken Ehrenhofer

I usually go to a parts swap and buy one or two items and if they are really good it is a great trip......I have never been to chickasha but I gotta go.......I do make Hershey every year and have NEVER had a bad time.....Remember all you need to find is one or two good items. Maybe they were not there last year but NEXT YEAR????......YEA YOU WILL MISS THEM IF YOU DON'T GO....LOL
If some one says he has it at home then get his phone number and have him ship to you.......Not to hard to do.....It is all about networking and making friends,
Ken IMHO
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #15
Ken Ehrenhofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I appreciate the reports that you guys do on the swap meets.

Once again, I could not attend this meet. Every year something comes up either during the Chickasha meet or Hershey, and I'm retired should be no reason not to attend. This insanity has to end, someday

I am going to make it in my lifetime,,only hope it's not what Curley from the Three Stooges would have asked
"......but what if we don't live long?''

Nyung nyung woof
Hi Jeff,
We always go to Hershey and usually there is room in the van for one more make it this year it is the BEST.......... HERSHEY Let me know!
Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
170bdlx

7 of us from Central Missouri went to Chickasa. Had a great time. There was too much T stuff for me but we found some good A items. Restorable water pumps, spedos and zenith carbs. We've been the last 3 years and still find things.
170bdlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #17
luckyal

If Hershey is a 10 and Carisle is an 8 , Chickasha is a 1 !
Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
raprice

I't's interesting how the variety of antique auto merchandise will vary from year to year. I've noticed that at Hershey over the years. One year, I couldn't find much Model T stuff and the following year, I couldn't believe how much "T" stuff was there.
Probably you'll find a bunch of Model A stuff at Chicasha next year.
I remember, a number of years ago, for some reason there was a lot of Nash stuff at Hershey. I saw a brand new '54 Nash grille at one of the vendors. I could only imagine that somewhere there was a guy tearing his hair out looking for a grille like that. You can never tell.
Rog
raprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #19
bartmcneill

Got there at 10 on Thursday and saw no vicky body. If I had I would have tried to buy it off the guy that bought it. Do you know what it went for? I would rather have a vicky than a coupe. (I am buying up for a future build after I someday sell my tudor.)
bartmcneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmcneill View Post
Got there at 10 on Thursday and saw no vicky body. If I had I would have tried to buy it off the guy that bought it. Do you know what it went for? I would rather have a vicky than a coupe. (I am buying up for a future build after I someday sell my tudor.)
Sell a Tudor for a Vicky with tight back seat?

I rode in the rear of a Vicky and would much prefer the Tudor.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote