Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
Lefthander1930

Default Mirrors for the Victoria

My 1931 Vicky doesn’t have door mirrors I’m looking for ideas do use a hinge pin type mirror. Plan on using a 4 inch round chrome mirror, need ideas on the mirror bracket, truck brackets what is suggested, what are other suggestions or options I know that whatever I get I’m gonna have to modify or tweak. Thanks for any input. Any pictures of your Vicky with mirrors greatly appreciated.
Lefthander1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:37 AM   #2
Ed in Maine

Default Re: Mirrors for the Victoria

I mounted two mirrors on the upper hinge of the doors on my 31 Victoria. I think I purchased them from Drakes only because I liked them. There were issues! The size of the hinge pins on the Victoria are bigger because the doors are big. The mirror brackets had to be slightly drilled out and there is not a lot of metal on the mirror bracket so you have to be careful. I have not had a problem with the brackets after they were installed. Next, the hinge pins you can buy are not correct for mirrors, they are not long enough. So, I picked up a couple of split pins. These are the pins that are split along their length. I picked a size that was just over the standard pins and then chucked them in a drill press and filed them to the required diameter. It was tedious but worked out great because the pin itself would slightly compress as you drove the pin in. Then for a decorative top to the pin, I got an acorn nut and screw and inserted into the installed split pin. It looks just like a normal door hinge pin. I purchased a Victoria a year ago and did this job last summer. Good luck, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
Tom Endy

See attached article.

Tom Endy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Victoria hing pins.pdf (50.8 KB, 56 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:43 PM   #4
Russ B

The problem I have found with outside mirrors on Model A’s is with the visibility from a right side mirror. The outside mirrors that were made back then were not designed for passenger side installation. Mirrors for other models did not work for my cabriolet, and I suspect there is potential for this to happen with your Victoria as well. I ended up making wood masters and having my mirror arms cast in brass. And then I fitted the arms to the hinges, polished and plated them. They are perfect for my car and worth the fairly extreme effort taken to get usable rear view mirrors. Best wishes in getting what you want/need.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:04 AM   #5
Bob Bidonde

Here's mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LH Mirror 242KB.jpg (48.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg LH Mirror 259KB.jpg (78.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg LH Mirror 274KB.jpg (63.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg LH Mirror 361KB.jpg (71.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg RH Mirror 226KB.jpg (52.7 KB, 22 views)