Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2021, 11:01 AM   #1
Dougs 28

Default Headlight switch sticks.....

The headlight switch just started sticking. I have had no problems with it previously, it just started last night. Every time l turn the steering wheel the switch goes with it. I also noticed it’s harder to turn the switch when it’s just in its normal position. I’ve never dealt with this before and don’t know where to start?
Dougs 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:28 PM   #2
Gene F

Default Re: Headlight switch sticks.....

I'd start with removing the light switch assembly at the bottom of the steering box. 1) Swing the bailing clamp out of the way. 2) take a magic marker and match mark the two halved of the switch housing. 3) turn it counterclockwise about 1/8th of a turn, and withdraw the switch housing. 4) open the switch housing the same way (it opens like putting a tai light bulb in the socket of a 1960s, or 1970s Chevy) 5) the switch kind of just lay in there. Take note of it's orientation. 6) Hose it off with some WD-40, either, something. They get greasy, and in cooler weather the grease gets stiff. 7) put it back together the inverse. TIP, sometimes the tab within the two bakalite surfaces will move during this. When you put it back on don't force it. May need to rotate the switch on the steering wheel a bit, or move the tab within the plates with a small screwdriver.

It it is a 7-tooth box, invest in the correct sector bushings (not water pump bushings), and/or that little tube that goes up in the box that Brattons and Snyders sell. They are a sticky mess to put in, but well worth the effot.

Best place to start, ance the light switch rod has not been withdrawn.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:53 PM   #3
Dougs 28

Okay, I’ve removed the light switch assembly and everything appears to be fine. While I had it un clipped from the steering gear box I checked the switch at the steering wheel and it still sticks. Could it be that the horn rod needs to be lubed?
Old 03-06-2021, 04:39 PM   #4
700rpm

That is usually due to lack of the brass bushing at the top of the light switch/horn rod, or a related problem with that bushing.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 03-06-2021 at 06:04 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:47 PM   #5
jimTN

What brass bushing in the steering wheel? The steering wheel is fastened to the steering shaft. There is a bushing in the top of the steering column that the shaft goes thru but no bushing in the shaft itself where the horn rod goes.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:50 PM   #6
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
What brass bushing in the steering wheel? The steering wheel is fastened to the steering shaft. There is a bushing in the top of the steering column that the shaft goes thru but no bushing in the shaft itself where the horn rod goes.
I didn’t describe the location correctly, but there is a brass bushing required. Here is the description of the bushing from Bratton’s:

This bushing slides up the horn rod to the top under the switch handle disc. This keeps the rod centered in the steering wheel. If this is missing, the horn rod drops to the bottom of the steering wheel hub, resulting in the lights turning on and off as you turn the steering wheel.

https://www.brattons.com/light-switch-rod-bushing.html

NOTE: I have corrected my original comment.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 03-06-2021 at 06:02 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:24 PM   #7
Dougs 28

Guys, just wanted say thank you. I think I have it fixed, the bushing at the top is fine. When I pulled the Horne rod there was a big build up of gunk on the rod at the top, where it sits against the bushing, cleaned it up and it solved the problem. It was so sticky, each way I turned the steering wheel the lights would go on and off. Thanks again.....
Old 03-06-2021, 07:35 PM   #8
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I didn’t describe the location correctly, but there is a brass bushing required. Here is the description of the bushing from Bratton’s:

This bushing slides up the horn rod to the top under the switch handle disc. This keeps the rod centered in the steering wheel. If this is missing, the horn rod drops to the bottom of the steering wheel hub, resulting in the lights turning on and off as you turn the steering wheel.

https://www.brattons.com/light-switch-rod-bushing.html

NOTE: I have corrected my original comment.
For all the good you do we can certainly forgive a small harmless mistake.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote