Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
russcc

Default Getting on Fordbarn

I had an issue trying to get on Fordbarn for a week or so. Some of you may have a similar problem if you have older Microsoft Internet Explorer on Windows 7.
Not being a computer person, (it's just a tool like a screwdriver to me), I called my small time local email service provider. He told me the there can be issues with the MS Explorer, and to use Google Chrome or Firefox. I downloaded Chrome in all of minute or so, and now I can hop right onto the Fordbarn.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
Ronnie

Default Re: Getting on Fordbarn

You should also consider win 10 it is really easy. I went from win 7 to win 10 seamless works well. Not a steep learning curve at at all.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
Als48

I have had trouble recently accessing Ford Barn or Jalopy Journal on my Apple Mini. I would usually use Safari to get to Ford Barn but started getting a message that said Safari was unable to make a secure connection. I started using Chrome as well and found it would work. I don't know what has changed, either.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #4
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
You should also consider win 10 it is really easy. I went from win 7 to win 10 seamless works well. Not a steep learning curve at at all.

R
I found it simpler to load a new browser such as Firefox or Chrome rather than installing a new operating system.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post

R
Some sites I visit no longer use Explorer at all....I’m glad Windows 10 is not hard. I have to replace my ten year old laptop and my learning curve is a hard 90* turn...on a hill...with no guard rail...LOL...Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #6
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
I found it simpler to load a new browser such as Firefox or Chrome rather than installing a new operating system.

Win 7 reached its end of life and things weren't being updated and no support. Then banks required a win 10 upgrade as some of their offers weren't able to be used. I have run Firefox forever and it runs well on win 10.
The upgrade is free and if it doesn't meet your liking you can return to win 7 for 30 days after the switch. There is little to do when you go to win 10. Just did it about a month ago.

R
Old 05-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #7
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Some sites I visit no longer use Explorer at all....I’m glad Windows 10 is not hard. I have to replace my ten year old laptop and my learning curve is a hard 90* turn...on a hill...with no guard rail...LOL...Mark

Explorer has been replaced with Edge in win 10. I use Firefox because it has been good for 10 years +. Ask some of your buddies how they like 10. When 10 first came out it was a tough one but now its hard to tell from 7. That has been my findings so far. You got grand kids they will get it flying in a heartbeat.

R
Old 05-27-2020, 12:46 PM   #8
tubman

I've tried both Firefox and Chrome on Windows 10. I find Chrome to be far superior.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #9
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I've tried both Firefox and Chrome on Windows 10. I find Chrome to be far superior.

Good to see another old dude working with win 10 .
Chrome does work no issues here I just like Firefox,see no reason to change.
was win 10 a clean install or the upgrade?

R
Old 05-27-2020, 04:46 PM   #10
dumb person

I hate chrome, there's no buttons unless you download so many mods for it, seems to think it needs to send permission to google to view things. I think i know what they're really doing with that data...

Firefox seems ok most of the time, then there's the dozens or web browsers people made from the old chrome & firefox code.

It's weird seeing people like windows 10. All the people i know in real life hate it. But most of them aren't using their computers as an office tool.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #11
VeryTangled

Generic comments from a guy who's day job is to try to train people how to fix broken, mostly Windows, computers.

1. If a computer runs Windows 7 it has the hardware power to run Windows 10 just as well. Fact.

2. Windows 7 is no longer suitable for safe internet use. Can't be made safe. Mostly fact, a little opinion. More fact is that Microsoft has stopped doing security updates for Windows 7, and will do that for Windows 8 eventually (if there are any Win8 users still on the planet). This makes using them in the future pretty darn problematic.

3. Windows 10 is still available as a free upgrade. Microsoft just doesn't want to make it too widely known. Details from a very respectable voice, Ed Bott, sorta' the MacVanP of Windows. https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ws-10-upgrade/ Fact.

4. Everyone backup your junk right now! External hard drives are cheap. Get two. Alternate them. Belt & Suspenders? Check! Advice. If you've never done it or don't know how shoot me a PM.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 05-27-2020 at 05:19 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #12
tubman

All good advice above., with special emphasis on the security aspects. Since I have been using Windows defender on Windows 10 (at least five years) , I have had no problems.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:24 PM   #13
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Since I have been using Windows defender on Windows 10 (at least five years) , I have had no problems.
AND it's built into the operating system, Windows 10. AND that makes it FREE. So Win-Win on malware defense. Kick Norton and others to the curb.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:08 PM   #14
russcc

Very informative, thank you. I have new computer with Win 10, but feel more comfortable with the W7. I find W10 to sensitive, althought it sure is quick to ramp up. wish I knew about downloading W10 when I bought the computer. Needles to say, the dealer didn't tell me about that.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:25 PM   #15
paul2748

I went with 10 about 3 months ago with no problems (on Firefox) A little bit of learning curve but not bad. Very happy with 10. No Firefox problems
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:45 AM   #16
Frank Miller

Running Chrome on 7 as I type. Jeff makes good points. I have 10 on my laptop with no problems. I like 7 because I do not have to do updates every time I turn on the computer.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #17
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
Running Chrome on 7 as I type. Jeff makes good points. I have 10 on my laptop with no problems. I like 7 because I do not have to do updates every time I turn on the computer.
The secret here is to leave the computer on and tell it to do the updates automatically at, say, 3AM. I have mine setup this way, and it is constantly running the latest versions of all the software (which is especially important for security reasons (Windows Defender always has the latest virus definitions to check against).
Old 05-28-2020, 04:53 PM   #18
Lawrie

I have a Mac in the shed, it all of a sudden just stopped getting onto the barn it says can't establish a secure connection, it will get onto e/bay tube etc but not the barn.the Mac upstairs has no problem,
The one downstairs does the latest updates over night but still won't connect.
any advice.
Its no a flathead so I can't fix it.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #19
38coop

X- 2 on what tubman said. We just had computer problems and the repair tech said to leave it on so it can update when it needs to.
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #20
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I had some earlier versions of win10 that I didn't like at all. But the current ones I am running I have configured so they are the same as older windows, like 8 or exp, so happy with it. Not a fan of the new Office packages, but you can still use Office 2013 which I like. So a happy camper so far.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote