Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #21
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Model A Front Axle Camber 'Rough" Check Tool

Hi Katy,

Thanks for taking the time to report such a correction where so few Model A owners ever mention checking their Model A camber mainly because of not being able to adjust same. No doubt after 82+ years a few spindles were bent thus also affecting camber.

My 1930 coupe had almost perfect camber, caster, and toe-in and what a difference and a pleasure to drive when compared to my 1930 Town Sedan with above mentioned out-of- spec camber.

One may never realize almost perfect front end alignment .......... unless one drives different Model A's.

When I visit my son in my Town Sedan, about 1-1/2 hours away, while traveling on asphalt back roads, every now and then I hit a highway depression on one side of the traveling lane where my front wheels dart to one side ..... not often, but one has to remain vigilant at all times ..... same darting happens with traveling in very gusty cross winds.

Years ago, while trying other people's Model A's I noticed many unrestored Model A's wandering and darting ...... these Model A owners thought nothing was wrong with this and probably thought it was customary to sit on the edge of one's front seat holding on to their steering wheels so tightly where they almost left their finger prints on their steering wheels.

Humble Opinion:

"Good Enough" ....... next time one sees a toothless individual ...... just remember ...... he usually brushed his teeth as often as he thought was "Good Enough".
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #22
ursus

Default Re: Model A Front Axle Camber 'Rough" Check Tool

That is good to know, katy. I have been told by many guys that excessive camber is caused by a bent axle because the spindle is so hard that the axle will bend before the spindle. I wonder how many axles have been bent to correct excessive camber without checking the spindle angle? Certainly, there has to be some kind of mischief resulting from wheel bearings that are not running in the same plane.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)