Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2021, 01:15 AM   #1
Brushwolf

Default Disk brake factory setups on 56 Ford or Mercury?

I am having to tear apart front suspension and will replace control arm bushings incidental to crossmember repair. (Entering the dreaded realm of "while I am at it, I better replace this too...)

I ordered new 1956 control arm bushings and ball joints, but am wondering whether the spindle and disk brakes from a 1976 Torino or 1988 Crown Victoria will fit on the 55-56 Mercury (and Ford, same part number ball joints...).

The reason I ask is that I already have both those disk brake setup from cars I parted out. Believe I read somewhere before that the Torino brakes will fit on early 60's Galaxies. But, will they fit earlier Fords and Mercury also?

Presumably, if Granada fits on Ford it fits on Mercury, being the same ball joints and I know 71 Lincoln Mark 3 bolts to 57 Ford with no reaming like Granada requires. I know there are a lot of aftermarket swaps available and some use the original spindle. But, would like to use one of these factory setups if they will fit. Running 15 inch wheels, so that is not an issue.
Brushwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:37 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: Disk brake factory setups on 56 Ford or Mercury?

I don't know about the CROWN.

As for the TORINO spindles -

Quote:
I did a disc brake swap on my 54 customline, I used 1979 Ford T-Bird spindles,and the complete brake system, very easy and they are better than the Granda brakes. The bottom ball joint hole to too big,they sell a spacer for that and it worked great. A complete bolt in swap, very easy and cheap cost me $30.00 for both sides! Used the 79 T-bird dual master cyl., w/1" bore or bigger and the porp valve. This thing stops on a pin head!

Wheels..14" stock steel wheels will not fit. They hit the outside of the caliper. Easy fix I just put the 15" wheels back on same bolt patter and all, no issues at all
SOURCE - http://1954ford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1752

You may have some difficulty arriving at proper camber with the intermediate spindles.

ADDENDUM - (Fr.)

I forgot to add. Hers is a bonus with the use of intermediate spindles -

https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/...akeConversion/

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 06-04-2021 at 10:24 AM.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
Brushwolf

Default Re: Disk brake factory setups on 56 Ford or Mercury?

Lot of good info there. If I am understanding it correctly, this means the 76 intermediate spindles will bolt on, but may require a spacer on lower ball joint per the 54 Ford forum thread reference and 56 tie rod end should fit as a 54 does.

In addition, the Ford Muscle article referenced indicates that this setup could be converted to 12" with 5 x 5 bolt pattern (same as 56 Merc) simply by replacing the 76 Torino rotors with late 70's Lincoln and utilizing factory caliper mounting brackets for that larger rotor. Wheel bearing sizes are the same whether 76 Torino 5 x 4.5 or late 70's Lincoln 5 x 5.

Or the 74-up Torino setup could be left at 11" 5 x 4.5 which would seem adequate, but then we would have 2 different bolt patterns between front and rear. So, if going this route, then a 57-58 Ford rear axle which would move each side in 1 3/8" compared to 56 Merc 60" rear axle would resolve that bolt pattern difference and wider tire fitment issues at the same time.

That would seem to cover the options of the possibilities of using this brake setup, with the question remaining of whether that spacer mentioned in the 54 Ford forum is still available or how to make them.

What was the possible difficulty in arriving at proper camber with the intermediate spindles? Does that camber issue apply to the early 60's Galaxies too, or it does not because of differences between the 56 and early 60's Galaxie suspension designs?

Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:56 PM   #4
5851a

1979 up till end of Panther crown Vic style had front mount steering system.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:10 PM   #5
Brushwolf

Off Ford Muscle forum re: camber issues with some early 60's Galaxie conversions using the intermediate spindles. The theory is apparently that the spindles were not uniform in drilling location of the upper ball joint spindle on 70 's intermediates...

"The donor cars had a lot more room for camber adjustments. It appears that because of this the spindles were not machined to strict tolerances. In some cases it can be impossible to set the camber correctly when the spindle is installed in a Galaxie. For more on this, see the following thread:

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/gala...rake-swap.html

If the drilled location is too far outboard, it tends to result in the top of the wheel leaning outward. This would seem to apply to either 54-56 Ford and Merc as well as early 60's Galaxies. Correction would seem to be more alignment shims at the upper A arm alignment bolts.

This would probably not be an unresolvable problem with Y block upswept manifolds, but might be with any later engine install with downswept manifolds.

Think I may abandon that idea and look at some aftermarket or Granada setups after all.

I wonder if those 12" Lincoln 1975 up 5x5 rotors and factory caliper mounting brackets fit on 75-80 Granada spindles since Ford made the wheel bearing sizes the same for both intermediates and full size after 1974?

Or is the Granada not considered an intermediate?
Old 06-04-2021, 05:16 PM   #6
Brushwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
1979 up till end of Panther crown Vic style had front mount steering system.
I have seen some on other posts long ago where they swapped them side-to-side, but I think that kills that possibility off for me as well. Too far out in the unknown unknowns realm,..
Old 06-04-2021, 06:53 PM   #7
KULTULZ

Which car are we working on, FORD or MERC?

The 5X5 12" would be LINC and 5X4.5 12" would be 72 BIRD.

The camber issue comes up with retro-fit. For some reason FORD drilled the upper mount differently in 1979, but have the same CASTING ID NO as the earlier spindle. If you could find true 1979, supposedly the camber issue is solved on retro-fit. The swap was more popular with 60/64.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 06-04-2021, 07:37 PM   #8
Dobie Gillis

Why reinvent the wheel, so to speak? The link below is for a kit that fits 1954 thru 1956 Mercury. It uses the stock Merc spindles and hubs, allowing use of the original 5 on 5 wheels. No need to swap the rear end to the 4.5 Ford bolt pattern or carry 2 spares, one with 5 on 5 bolt holes and the other with 4.5 on 5. A booster is optional for additional moola.

https://www.jamcosuspension.com/pro....-5x5-dbk5456mc
Old 06-04-2021, 08:09 PM   #9
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Gillis View Post

Why reinvent the wheel, so to speak? The link below is for a kit that fits 1954 thru 1956 Mercury. It uses the stock Merc spindles and hubs, allowing use of the original 5 on 5 wheels. No need to swap the rear end to the 4.5 Ford bolt pattern or carry 2 spares, one with 5 on 5 bolt holes and the other with 4.5 on 5. A booster is optional for additional moola.

https://www.jamcosuspension.com/pro....-5x5-dbk5456mc
The 'kit' consists of GM components and unique mounting brackets which may be difficult to find and purchase if something goes wrong. Most likely, the calipers are METRIC which requires a quick take-up MC. Might as well look at a CORVETTE MC when the hood is opened also.

The OP has a 1976 intermediate take-off.

If it is a FORD, keep it a FORD.

If he wanted a change-over kit, he can buy one using K-H Four Piston calipers, a much better design.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-05-2021, 04:50 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Just another thought. While the GRANADA swap is popular, it also presents front end problems, including vehicle front lowering and bump steer.

Someone will have to contact the poster on 54 FORD FORUM and ask him where he obtained the adapters.

I am a$$-u-me(ing) this is a MERC being discussed.

OH!

While I am thinking of it (CRS), the spindle design change began in 1972 on the intermediate and 1973 on full size. FORD went to a larger spindle and bearings in 1974. This ran until and including the 1979 model year.

The reason(s) FORD moved the drilling on the intermediate is most likely described in a TSB of the period.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 06-05-2021 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:38 PM   #11
paul2748

I did the Granada conversion and don't have any bump steer.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:27 PM   #12
KULTULZ

Talking Re: Disk brake factory setups on 56 Ford or Mercury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post

I did the Granada conversion and don't have any bump steer.
I am very happy for you.

Allow me to re-phase, may induce bump steer.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-05-2021, 09:57 PM   #13
Brushwolf

Vehicle being worked on is a 56 Merc. But if one were contemplating going the intermediate or the Granada spindle route, then the bolt pattern difference arises.

Which could be resolved with either the late 70's Lincoln 5x5 rotors (which would fit the 76 Torino spindles according to the article link material you posted). Camber issue perhaps not, but the Jamco kit should eliminate that since original spindles would be retained.

Or the wheel bolt pattern mismatch could be resolved using either the Torino parts or a Granada based kit both with 4.5 bolt patterns by swapping the rear axle for a 57 Ford 9 inch axle. That has the added benefit of moving the rear wheels in 1 3/8" each side, many more differential ratio possibilities on hand, and would bring all 4 wheels back to the same bolt pattern, only 4.5 instead of 5.0.

IDK if the Lincoln 5x5 rotors would fit on Granada spindles though. Or if the Granada spindle is essentially the same as an "intermediate". You probably do though...

But, if it is virtually the same (it is after all a 75-80 production part), then the camber issue potential should be present with Granada spindles also. I emailed the address provided by the Arizona poster about the spacers but it came back as invalid.

So, I was looking at this Granada-based kit as an alternative too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-1955-1...edirect=mobile

What do we think about that one?

Thanks again
Old 06-06-2021, 08:45 AM   #14
KULTULZ

... whew ...

How much power are planning to put in the MERC? It came through with the FORD rear and is not too strong. If you find a period correct 9", it will most likely have 5 X 4.5 bolt circle.

The JAMCO uses GM hydraulics and CHEESE-CUTTER rotors it looks like.

Cipher on these people if you are considering the GRANADA SWAP - http://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang...20CATALOG.html

Then get back.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-06-2021, 09:31 AM   #15
Dobie Gillis

If his rear axle is original, and I'm pretty sure it is since it has the Merc 5 on 5 bolt pattern, it's plenty strong. It will be a Dana 45, basically a light truck axle, and should be able to handle anything up to and including a 390 and possibly more. The problem with the 45 is parts availability but there are ways around that.

Last edited by Dobie Gillis; 06-06-2021 at 10:03 AM.
Dobie Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:41 AM   #16
KULTULZ

The DANA 41 was used in 1954 and only in a wagon.

It's hard to say what is in there after all of these years. If it has a removable carrier, it is early FORD style.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-06-2021, 10:06 AM   #17
Dobie Gillis

Yes, but the passenger cars got the 45 beginning with the '55 models and continued thru the '56 models, maybe longer. Why Ford decided they needed such a stout axle behind y-blocks is the subject of a different discussion.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:20 AM   #18
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Disk brake factory setups on 56 Ford or Mercury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushwolf View Post

Vehicle being worked on is a 56 Merc.

kuKt oN fonIX - WerXs 4 mee

My mistake. For some reason (CRS) I was thing of the 54 MERC w/ TREADLE-VAC discussion. If that is the case (DANA 44) maybe he could swap in FORD axles.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-06-2021, 03:58 PM   #19
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

kuKt oN fonIX - WerXs 4 mee

My mistake. For some reason (CRS) I was thing of the 54 MERC w/ TREADLE-VAC discussion. If that is the case (DANA 44) maybe he could swap in FORD axles.

ADDENDUM (Fr.) -

No, the MERC axle housing is wider.

- WHY IS IT ... -