Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2019, 09:47 PM   #41
Tinker

Default Re: Want o go highway speeds ??? Need opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Overdrive was in factory production cars in the '30s and '40s on several make cars, notably Studebaker, Lincoln, and Packard. Ford first offered it in '49 when they went to open drive line.

I had a FORD 53 with a I6 215 three speed with overdrive. Could do 70mph all day long.

My point being long distance travel at high speeds. Roads just weren't the same as today. Maybe in the twenties and thirties people were cruising along at 60mph all the time. Route 66 was constructed in 1926.

Maybe for a vacation or moved. Not daily.

All concidered.... Just from a standpoint of simple bearing wear, gas consumption, and wear and tear. Less rpms is not a bad thing.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-05-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:11 PM   #42
Ol' Ron

The New OHV Ford six was one of the best engines Ford ever made. Much better than the Flathead V8 it replaced.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:59 PM   #43
Tinker

I love the flathead foremost and forever as an engine.

For overall usage for the average guy I agree. That I6 is a great motor. Very underrated. Good power and gas mileage. Coined the "mileage maker" by ford.

The 53 I6 215 was first year, the next year the 223 came out (lot of changes and not very interchangeable). Up till the 60s the 223 was a workhorse, also with a 262 version in trucks. Pretty much a cheap I6 that just ran and ran. Sold off my last nos barker highlift rockers arms to a guy here doing a build. Later truck "56ish", 223, slant6 distributor, and with dual 1904 glass bowl Holleys.

Yblocks had torque, but they were a heavy beast. Great motor though. Lot's of power.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-07-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #44
Ol' Ron

I had a 52 Ford PU and couldn't believe how strong it was. Ir was an old farm truck, but a tuen up brought it back to life and was a work horse for me. I sold it to a buddy of mine and we restored tit with a 302 running gear. Don't remember what happened to the engine.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #45
Flathead Fever

I went on a rpm calculator. Driving 60 mph, with 6.00X16 tires (28.56" diameter) and 3.78 gears your rpm would be 2669. With 3.25 gears the rpm would be 2295. Your only talking about a 374 rpm difference. For the difference in rpms I'd rather have the better acceleration for driving around town. You also need to consider the added weight of the emergency spare parts you need to carry incase your old Ford quits. Water pumps, generator, entire ignition system, maybe a radiator, gallons of fluid, tire tubes, tire pump, tire spoons, your entire tool box, a floor jack, creeper,awn chair and a barbecue while you wait for the tow truck. You might just want to go with the 4.11s.

Nobody is correct, It depends on what kind of roads you will be driving on the most. Were all use to these overdrive transmission with low rpms cruising down the freeway. Screaming engines use to be normal but then so was rebuilding them every 50k miles.

To give you a comparison. A 1965 289 2V Mustang with a manual 3-speed trans left the factory with 6.95X14 tires (25.3" diameter) and 2.80 gears. That's 2231 rpm at 60 mph.

Here are some before and after photos of the offramp to my town. I just happened to take these yesterday to compare to an old postcard I bought.. That was old highway 99. The main highway heading out of CA towards Arizona. That was probably the rush hour Photographed during the early 1930s? Its now the 10 freeway and that's what it look like almost all of the time that the sun is out. Five lanes of bumper to bumper traffic and where I Live this considered a small country town. That's what the freeway looks like for 75 miles. No need for 3.25 gears here. I would need the 3.78s and a knee replacement for the hundreds of times I would start out from a stop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yucaipa Postcard #1.jpg (50.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 20190206_163521 - Copy.jpg (83.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 20190206_163042 - Copy.jpg (95.1 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 02-07-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #46
AnthonyG

Dan 1939 ??? did u figure it out?
Old 02-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #47
Marv

Talking Re: Want o go highway speeds ??? Need opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I had a 52 Ford PU and couldn't believe how strong it was. Ir was an old farm truck, but a tuen up brought it back to life and was a work horse for me. I sold it to a buddy of mine and we restored tit with a 302 running gear. Don't remember what happened to the engine.
The only flathead Ford that I ever owned that did not overheat or cracked block was a 47 coupe with the flathead 6. It was not great for gas mileage but it would out run most stock V8s.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #48
RalphG

As good as the 223 six might be there is no way I would trade my Merc flathead 8 for it. The smooth rumble of the V8 is a sound I'll never forget. The six just sounds boring. I rode a 59 Ford school bus with the 223 six. Tough and reliable old engine but a little under powered in that truck chassis. And of course no V8 sound.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #49
Tinker

Ralph I did say "good" power... not "great" power. Very reliable.

The 1953 OHV I6 215 (not to be confused with the earlier 6, which as great) Put out as much HP as the 53 flathead. Same as the first 239 yblock 8 in 54.

Flat8 is the greatest sounding motor flat motor.

Think this guy was trying to put a rod through his block for this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ua24Ue4wM

Last edited by Tinker; 02-08-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:07 PM   #50
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
I went on a rpm calculator. Driving 60 mph, with 6.00X16 tires (28.56" diameter) and 3.78 gears your rpm would be 2669. With 3.25 gears the rpm would be 2295. Your only talking about a 374 rpm difference. For the difference in rpms I'd rather have the better acceleration for driving around town.

Another reason I like the Mitchell OD. Splits every gear. Keep the 3.78 and split the gears at the box. Basically a 6sp with OD. Options are 28% or 36% i believe. I run a 36% od in my truck.

Mitchell Box is synco, so shift in 3rd up/or down. Same in first. Lot's of guys using them from model As to early fords. So they have a rep of being a good unit. Bolt in, doesn't destroy anything. NOTE: Some issues with floor fit on 35-36 cars I believe, requiring some floor mods. But Trucks, your good to go.

There is a volvo od too and a f150 box options with the torque tube. Require a bit of machining and research.

Dan did we scare ya away?

Last edited by Tinker; 02-08-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:44 PM   #51
mfirth

The I block 6 with a 4 / 2 split manifold sounds GR8. I had one & some guys thought it sounded like a 348 C----y. Maybe that ain't so good........?
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #52
Supertuner700

How much are the mitchell overdrives? Will they fit a 1938 model 85 1.5 ton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
If you are on the 101 in LA you are either doing 100mph or creeping at 5mph.

Block might need a flush also, pull heads and dig out with a coathanger/long screwdriver/or both, to get sand out.

Lower rpms with power at any speed is a good thing. OD isn'e a bad idea. Running 7.00 tires, 3:78 rear, and a mitchell 36% od, cruise 70. Bit much at 36% OD, but my engine can pull it so far.

Mitchells aren't cheap, but no frame cut or open driveline conversions. Both take time and money. Put the mitchell in a day and still have my original torque tube and didn't need to do anything else.

Maybe a wash as far as money, I don't know. Don't know if it's better either. I like it.

Let us know what ya did. good luck.
Supertuner700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:44 PM   #53
corvette8n

Quote:
I guess I assume most understand going faster means stopping faster.

Brakes before power or speed for urban driving.

The factory Lockheed brakes not designed for today's cell phone equipped drives that like to dart in front of you and stop suddenly...

Get your overheating problem fixed then worry about stopping next, then go fast.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #54
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertuner700 View Post
How much are the mitchell overdrives? Will they fit a 1938 model 85 1.5 ton?

Supertuner ....This thread is over two years old, but since you asked, the Mitchell OD "kits" seem to start around ~$3,200 bucks. But the REAR END in the 1.5 ton truck that you mention is a totally different animal than the 'CAR' and 'light pick-up' truck rear ends that the Mitchells are normally installed in. I'm not sure the Mitchell is adaptable to what you have. Why don't ya give the Mitchell folks a shout for some worthwhile answers? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #55
Supertuner700

Thank you
Supertuner700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:36 AM   #56
sunshine

I have a stock 39 pkp. How are you going to stop this thing going 70 you didn’t say what you are going to do for brakes ????
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:27 AM   #57
JayChicago

When I first got my car I fantasized about an overdrive to keep up with traffic on the interstates. But then I read a post from Kube that changed my mind. He said something like this:
“I can imagine driving our cars at 70, but I can’t imagine being able to safely stop or steer from that speed”

Now I happily drive the right lane at 50-55, waving back at people smiling at the car as they pass.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:14 AM   #58
TomT/Williamsburg

I think we can all agree that driving our cars is all about the journey and not the destination so much. So, taking the road less travelled is something I do a lot. But, there are times when an interstate can’t be avoided. When that happens, I use it during the time of least amount of traffic. You can’t always do that and my avatar has been a road warrior for many years.

The rpm calculator is your best “arm chair” way of figuring out your most desired and best combination of tires, rear gear, final tranny gear output, and the speed you want to run on an interstate if the need arises. Larger rear tires will reduce your rpm but perhaps impede acceleration, same thing with your rear gear. Only you can decide what your best combo is for your type of driving, how much you want to keep your car all stock, and your pocketbook.

For example, my avatar was meant to go across country. So, at 75 mph I wanted the engine to turn 2500 rpm. 235/85-r16 tires (nearly 32” tall), 3:54 rears, 5-speed with 5th gear having a .86 ratio, accomplished that. But I built the car from scratch to do that. For an already nicely finished car, especially a stocker, those are a lot of changes and the car will not be the same. I also dug out a 1 gallon bucket of sand from the motor - that cut down on overheating tremendously imho.

For anyone I would play with tire sizes until I found a combo that would work well enough at Highway speeds for an hour or two, 65-70, and still kept the look of your vehicle. If you still overheat, and flatheads like to run between 22-2800 rpm because they need heat to function right, you need to address those issues that are causing you to do so.

One last thought - my max speed in my avatar is 85 mph (Texas has 85 mph speed limits) at 2800 rpm because I carry 400 lbs plus of extra parts in my trunk all the time. I hit a head wind and I lose 3mph. The engine does not know mph as it is just as happy at 22, 25, or 2800 rpm.

You are not driving a daily driver but an 70-80+ year old car - drive it to enjoy it, take those back roads and enjoy the journey with friends, family. If you want to go 75, build it to do it - for others, just slightly and reasonably modifying a stock vehicle, if you do desire, can do some if not all of what you desire - just enjoy it.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #59
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
You are not driving a daily driver but an 70-80+ year old car - drive it to enjoy it, take those back roads and enjoy the journey with friends, family. If you want to go 75, build it to do it - for others, just slightly and reasonably modifying a stock vehicle, if you do desire, can do some if not all of what you desire - just enjoy it.
Lots of pretty damn good info and suggestions in what TomT has to say above, especially if you're wanting to add an overdrive trans of some sort. Do your homework, and do it thoroughly, especially when it comes to understanding GEAR RATIOS and how they can help....or HURT you, and my emphasis is on the ratios of ALL of the gears in your trans. We keep hearing of too many folks trying to use a complete S-10 T5 transmission (because the shifter location is farther forward).....when all they REALLY should have done was substitute the S-10 REAR HOUSING for that STOCK rear housing on their much-more-friendly-geared Camaro (2.95 1st gear) or Mustang (3.35 1st gear) trans. That street-friendly 2.95 is far-more friendly and useful than that 4.03 1st gear in an S-10 T5. It's just TOO easy to assemble a 'custom' T5 with the gearing and shifter location that fits your entire envelope. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:59 AM   #60
Teacher John

Quote:
I love the flathead foremost and forever as an engine.

For overall usage for the average guy I agree. That I6 is a great motor. Very underrated. Good power and gas mileage. Coined the "mileage maker" by ford.

The 53 I6 215 was first year, the next year the 223 came out (lot of changes and not very interchangeable). Up till the 60s the 223 was a workhorse, also with a 262 version in trucks. Pretty much a cheap I6 that just ran and ran. Sold off my last nos barker highlift rockers arms to a guy here doing a build. Later truck "56ish", 223, slant6 distributor, and with dual 1904 glass bowl Holleys.

Yblocks had torque, but they were a heavy beast. Great motor though. Lot's of power.
I have a '64 F250 with a hopped-up 262. She runs like a raped ape. I changed the rear gears from 4:88 to 4:10 and installed a Detroit Locker. She'll burn those 7.50 16's. The original radiator took a huge dump, so I installed a 3 core AL radiator. She runs cool all day long in the Texas heat.
Teacher John is offline   Reply With Quote