Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2021, 08:13 AM   #21
Rob Doe

Default Re: Ignition switch question

I have just reviewed the link in post 13 from the ford garage. The diagram is of the entire car and therefore rather complex, but the ignition is wired IMO correctly. It shows the face of the ammeter and thus helps the beginner there. It does not define the two sides of the terminal box or the coil. This is not helpful to the beginner.

If you are using this diagram, the short black wire from the yellow/blk wire in the terminal box should go to the - minus side of the coil. The + plus side of the coil must be attached to the ignition switch and continue on to the distributor points, the red wire. This matches the secondary coil polarity to the positive ground at the battery. A reverse hookup at the coil will run the car but have a weaker spark. (lower voltage, not good)

By not defining the sides of the terminal box, this is also confusing to a person wanting to maintain authenticity. I wired my car, after considerable research, to have the yellow/blk stripe wires on the driver side of the terminal box and the solid yellow wires attached on the passenger side.

I sincerely hope this helps someone, I pulled my hair out for several days only a few weeks ago learning what I've tried to make clear here. Good luck to all.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:21 AM   #22
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
The armored cable may have stopped some thief in 1930 but today a determined thief is just going to put the car on a flatbed and drive away.

In my car, I have the modern switch and it is wired like a modern car. I have an accessory position which allows me to work on things like the windshield wiper or to program the GPS without having the ignition on. I should note that I have added a distribution block with fuses for the various things, like a modern car. It is mounted with magnets so no new holes were added to the firewall.
Magnets! Well, that is very clever.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-12-2021, 10:05 AM   #23
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Its nice that Ruth posted the diagram. It should help. And, its nice to learn something every day, I didn't know Ford installed electric fuel valves in any of the 'A's. [ smiley face X2 ].
Happy??

Old 06-12-2021, 10:25 AM   #24
rotorwrench

There have been a lot of diagrams put out there on the net for model As. This link is to MAFCA and is good enough to get the job done.
https://www.mafca.com/downloads/Semi...ex%20Janke.pdf
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote