Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
Woodie1

Default 39 Woody Quarter Panel

I am having problems trying to get a rear quarter panel to assemble correctly. I believe the front corner window openings by the hinge pillar should be 90 degrees. The rear window corners should fall in line. I was missing the bottom tenon for the hinge piece & made a new one. I don't know what it should look like or the size. I kind of guessed at it. The arch over the rear fender is new as the old one was so badly rotted. Every time I square the front window corners & try to slide the fender arch into place, it pushes the 2 window corners in front out of the 90 degree position. I don't want to glue the joints until things go together good without glue. Any ideas will help.
Woodie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #2
Karl Wescott

Default Re: 39 Woody Quarter Panel

Not having assembled a woody, so I am just speculating based on general experience.

1. Establish what are the critical interfaces. (in order)

a. Door posts.
b. Roof line.
c. Tailgate post.
d. Fender mounting.
Test assemble all of the above with the body aligned on the chassis and assure that all is matched right to left side of the body and "square and level". Then fit the quarter panel pieces and you should be able to find and correct the interference. (my guess is in the fender opening).
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:06 PM   #3
Bill

Let me offer this for what it's worth. You don't mention if your roof assembly is in place yet. You also don't menton if the opposite side quarter panel is in place either. So, if your roof is reusable, when it is correctly aligned with the steel brackets in place over your B and C pillars,your top rail over the quarter widows should slide into place in the factory groove. If it's like my 48 there is essentially no adjustment. The bottom wood rail aligns with the profile of the inner and outer fender. There is also no adjustment to speak of for the bottom rail. The wood rail must match the profile of the fender. Period. I'm thinking the piece that you made is not matching the sheetmetal properly.
Years ago when I was doing my wagon I got real good advice from Chip Kussmaul of Cincinati Woodworks who supplied L n R quarter panels for my car. He said to get the roof in place first using the factory brackets. This squares the action. You now have a "constant" to work from. The rear/inner fenders also provide another constant. Then it is easier, not easy, to fit the quarters in between. Duplicating original wood is v difficult to say the least Hope this is clearer than mud. Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #4
Woodie1

My roof is still in place with all brackets fastened except for the c pillar one. All the rest of the car is still assembled but not bolted to the frame. I have some floor work & rockers to deal with yet. I suspect the tenon I replaced on the hinge pillar may not be sized right. There may also be problems with the new wood arch as some parts don't match up. I will attach some photos with the old wood & the new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bottom of D Pillar.jpg (326.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg D Pillar Bottom New Wood.jpg (334.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Notch Out.jpg (387.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Notch Out New Wood.jpg (390.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Short Brace.jpg (386.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Short Brace New Wood.jpg (372.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Hinge Post Bottom tenon New Wood.jpg (412.5 KB, 12 views)
Woodie1 is offline   Reply With Quote