Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
fresnopete

Default Where are the parts?

I've been away from the hobby for over 10 years. I'm now retired and would like to pick it up again.

I went to Turlock this year, looking mainly for a better set of wheels among other things. I was surprised at the general lack of Model A stuff.

I've been watching Ebay and Craig's list, and again was surprised by the small number of listings.

Prices are also crazy, both high and low.

Am I nuts, or have things changed that much? Where did the parts go?
fresnopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: Where are the parts?

I am wondering if most of the parts have either been scrapped due to lack of interest or consolidated into vast collections. But there is a guy in North bay that always post on craigslist, here in the bay area.

Mike
Old 07-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
gustafson
BANNED

a poster just the other day day said he knew a guy who junked a whole pile of parts because no one would pay the outlandish amount of $$$ he wanted for them.
So with attitudes like that, the hobby won't last much longer

It is no longer about the cars, the $$$$$ are way more important now.
This is the problem with a car that could be bought for 65 bucks in the sixties, now everyone thinks an A is on par with a Packard, it just aint so
gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
Bob C

I usually get 10,000 hits on Epay. I exclude seven words and Mac's and a couple
other dealers. https://www.ebay.com/sch/eBay-Motors...+-IFS+-keyless

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #5
Purdy Swoft

I've found and bought a lot of rare model A parts on eBay. Berts in dDenver is probably one of the best places to buy model A parts . I have bought sand blasted perfectly straight wheels from them . I would rather have the real model A wheels from Berts than the expensive repro model A wheels any day . Berts probably has the largest collection of original and new old stock model A parts in the world . Phone 800-321-1931 and talk to Steve Becker .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:53 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Where is fresnopete? If you put your general location in your profile someone might contact you about the parts you are looking for. A wanted ad on fordbarn might shake a few parts loose.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:46 PM   #7
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Where is fresnopete? If you put your general location in your profile someone might contact you about the parts you are looking for. A wanted ad on fordbarn might shake a few parts loose.

Charlie Stephens
I am guessing Fresno, CA...Lots of Model Aer's in Fresno...even a large Model A Club...Join and wheels will come!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:11 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
I am guessing Fresno, CA...Lots of Model Aer's in Fresno...even a large Model A Club...Join and wheels will come!

Pluck
Steve,

Probably a good guess, but why not Fresno, Montana or Fresno, Texas or Fresno Ohio? Why should we have to guess when we are trying to help?

Charlie Stephens
Old 07-26-2018, 10:59 PM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Well that is true Charles...Had no idea there were that many "Fresno's" in the USA!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:59 AM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

If you want to find WHERE the PARTS are, join a Model A Club!
Bill Hidden
Old 07-27-2018, 08:05 AM   #11
fresnopete

Fresno California

Thanks for all your comments
fresnopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:36 AM   #12
jim1932

Posting a "want to buy" in the classifieds on here generally will yield results. Some people have the parts but aren't into the hassle of listing and shipping them.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #13
frank55a

Check The Swap Meet" page here. There are a lot of parts listed.

My 2 cents worth. After talking with many of my friends over the years that occasionally sell parts and I do not think I am the only one that fells this way. In the past I generally only sold parts that I collected for a potential project but no longer need (I am not a "DEALER") at 2-3 meets a year, including Hershey. Good original parts are getting scarce for what ever the reasons. Consider, like everything else, swap meet spaces, gas, hotels and all the hidden items cost more. Some meets/states require a tax ID number even for the hobbyist that just has a few parts to sell. On top of it, there is a lot of work to dig out the parts, load them up, unpack and set up, sit for a day or more deal with "lookers" or those that want to pay 1970s to 80s prices, then pack up go home and unload.

Last edited by frank55a; 07-27-2018 at 11:58 AM.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:49 AM   #14
Charlie Stephens

You can find local clubs listed on the national club's web sites (http://www.mafca.com and http://model-a-ford.org). When you contact the local clubs ask if you can put a "want ad" in their newsletter. This should be low or no cost since it benefits their members. Also ask if they hold swap meets? If you don't want to join the particular club ask if you can pay to have them send you an electronic copy of their monthly newsletter. Newsletters usually include for sale and wanted ads as well as a calendar of local events like swap meets.

From a map it looks like you are in the middle of nowhere, I envy you, except for swap meets. You might contact the Towe Museum in Sacramento and see of they hold a swap meet. There is also a meet generally called the "Reno" swap meet (since it started there) that used to be held annually in Sacramento. You might search the archives to see what you can find.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 07-27-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:32 PM   #15
Charlie Stephens

Also place a "wanted" ad on sites that deal with modified vehicles such as HAMB, https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/wanted.30/ They take these wheels off and replace them with solids.

Charlie Stephens
Old 07-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #16
Charlie Stephens

Another thing I have heard but am not close enough to know for sure. It is my understanding that there is more than one "Turlock" swap meet. One is put on by an old car group and the others by guys interested in newer stuff. If this is true maybe you just hit the wrong meet. But in general I agree with your comment, there is sure not as much stuff out there as there used to be, but that could probably be expected.

Charlie Stephens
Old 07-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #17
rocket1

We have most of the parts,A owners,me included,excellent parts from the 60's and 70's when they were cheap and plentyfull.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #18
crumbaa

We have worked with Bert's on some of the harder to find things we needed. Part iof the problem is all the TV car show where the build a hot show car in an one hour episode and sell it for 100,000. No everyone with an old car thinks it is worth 50,000.

It is harder for the high point guys for sure. Those of use that are not chasing points can turn to REPRO but be very careful much of it is just junk and i cant remember a single repro part out side of the Rear gears and Tranny sliding gears that we were able to use with some modification or another to make it fit/function. I have only been in the hobby fro about 5 years and still love it. I hope it does not die of too soon.

/Tony
crumbaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:58 AM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

The Model A hobby WON'T DIE! There's MORE Cars/Parts available, than any OTHER MAKE!
Bill Forevermodelaguy
Old 07-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #20
Railcarmover
BANNED

In the last two years in Northern CA I've rounded up a ton of parts..the best score was on craigslist,a burned chassis with a fresh engine,mitchell od,f100 steering box rebuilt trans and rear end with cast iron drums and fresh brakes for 1500.00..it was in a house fire.I picked up a '29 engine with a fresh rebuild with a bad center main bearing for 2 hours of welding,a complete B engine for 100 bucks through the club and 2 engines,a front and rear axle for free through a friend..The stuff is out there and you can still find it cheap,sheet metal and complete bodies are getting spendy however..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote