Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
Tim Armstrong

Default How to cut a hole in the apron?

I need to cut a hole for the left spare tire carrier on my 29 roadster pickup fender. Is there a way to determine were to cut and how big?
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
Don Turley

Default Re: How to cut a hole in the apron?

Sidemount locator 1930 - 1931

I made a simple tool for locating the exact spot for the side-mount arm hole in the 1930 - 31 splash aprons, and you can make one also. Make the locating tool before you mount the bracket socket to the frame. Smear a coat of oil on the tapered hole and then fill it full of epoxy putty or Bondo or whatever body filler putty you have. The oil is to keep the putty from sticking to the socket. Let the putty harden, then, on a drill press, drill a 1/8 inch hole in the center of the putty plug. Next, cut a piece of 1/8 inch diameter welding wire (or other steel wire) about 6 inches long. Sharpen one end of the wire to a very fine point. Make sure that the wire will slide through the hole you drilled in the putty plug. The locating tool is complete and you can remove it from the socket.
Now you can mount the bracket socket to your frame and install your splash aprons and front fenders on the frame. With plenty of lighting under the car, insert the locating tool back in the bracket socket with the steel wire pointing to the splash apron. Slide the wire until it touches the apron and scratch the spot where the point touches. Now, while still under the car, remove the tool and with a sharp center punch, make a dimple on the spot you made. You should be able to see and feel the dimple from the top side of the apron. With the same center punch, now on the top side of the apron, reverse the dimple so that you can center your drill from the top side of the apron. It is much easier to drill from the top side rather than the bottom. Drill a 1/8 inch hole at the mark. You can now re-insert your locating tool back in the socket and confirm that the point of the wire is at the same spot that you just drilled a 1/8 inch hole in the apron. If it is satisfactory, next drill the hole with a 1-1/2 inch hole saw. This is the size hole that fits the current reproduction grommets. De-burr the hole with a small round file and touch up the raw edge of metal with black paint.
This is the most accurate way to locate the hole, because it works for your individual apron. Takes all of the guess work out of the job.

No FordBarn Messages.
Email: [email protected]
Call: 706-863-4867 (GA) Leave message and I'll return call.
Unless otherwise noted, prices include shipping to a USA address & paid with check or USPS money order. PayPal accepted if you pay the fee they charge me to accept payment. Contact me before paying. Everything that I sell comes with a guarantee. Return unaltered within 10 days for refund.
Don Turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
springerpete

To keep from having the paint chip around the hole cover the area you are going to drill with blue, painters tape. Good sized area and several thicknesses of tape. Take time to locate the punch dimple. I drilled from underneath with the tape on the top (other side) sheet metal is not that thick so the drilling process does not take long. If it is a large hole drill a pilot hole first. Sharp drill are a big help.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

What Don shows is the best way to locate the hole. A Greenlee hole punch is the best way to cut the hole, but I have used a hole saw and that worked good also. I went slow and kept it oiled.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:53 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
What Don shows is the best way to locate the hole. A Greenlee hole punch is the best way to cut the hole, but I have used a hole saw and that worked good also. I went slow and kept it oiled.
Dishwashing soap and water in a spray bottle will also lube the hole saw.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
Fred K-OR

I guess I did it the hard way and the "farmer" way. I mounted the spare tire mount on the frame, put the fender in place, crawled under the car and took a making pen and trace the hole through the spare tire mount hole onto the fender. Then took the fender off and use my old schooling on how to find a center of a circle to get the center of the hole and then went to town getting the hold drilled.

I know this is not totally accurate like the methods mentioned above but it worked for my driver huckster.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
Gus

I did the same as Fred but used a small curved hand-file to expand the hole. I had the apron fitted and didn't have a hole-saw. Bracket fitted, from the underside I drilled a small hole up through the bracket, then used a step drill from above to get the hole as big as possible before filing. Slow but successful.
Gus
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote