Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
amodel25

Default Re: Interesting Comparison on why to Shop USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
The Vise-Grip co.a long standing Nebraska manufacturing facility was sold to the china market. .
Has this been recently? Seems I saw a TV ad (in the past month or two) where they were flaunting their "Made In America" status.
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #22
Lawrie

In australia where we grow the best and safest food in the world,Try buying groceries,you need to read EVERy label to make sure you only get Australian grown stuff.lots of food is imported.
Man why would you buy prawns(shrimps) from China when we have the best seafood in the world here.
What we should be doing is teach in schools to buy Australian first.
Rant over.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #23
Ol' Ron

All this China bashing is our own fault, we bought by price and this is what we got. Back in the late 40's I bought a set ow wrenches form Japan, my dad took them away from me and told me I was costing American jobs. Smart man. Most of the manufacturing in this country priced it's self out of business and the off shore countries took over. WE can't sell our "Stuff" in their countries because they tax the "&(^&%" out of it.
Now we cry,
This country's biggest enemy is ourselves and Congress.
Now lets get back to Flatheads.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #24
donald1950

here are 2 web sites that explane bar codes. the first three numbers are not the country of origon just the countery where the company origonating the product is located. for example: if fruit products are grown and origonate in guatamala and are repackaged in mexaco the country of origon on the bar code will indicate mexaco.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barcodes.asp

http://www.adams1.com/upccode.html#countrycode

i also had a new and used tube of colgate tooth paste and called the colgate help line as when i tried decode the bar codes one indicated sire lanka and one indicated new zeland, but the box said made in mexaco. colgate said: the barcode on the box was for store product pricing, the barcodes on the tubes were for lot, batch, manufacture dates & experation dates. and that they had 2 plants that made tooth paste, one in the USA and one in mexaco.... at this point in trying to decode bar codes, i give up, as i feel a headach coming on......... i tried, don
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #25
2935ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
All this China bashing is our own fault, we bought by price and this is what we got. Back in the late 40's I bought a set ow wrenches form Japan, my dad took them away from me and told me I was costing American jobs. Smart man. Most of the manufacturing in this country priced it's self out of business and the off shore countries took over. WE can't sell our "Stuff" in their countries because they tax the "&(^&%" out of it.
Now we cry,
This country's biggest enemy is ourselves and Congress.
Now lets get back to Flatheads.
Correct Ol' Ron and it's not going to change anytime soon.......just move on and do the best we can with what we have!
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #26
RKS.PA

My thanks, too!! Went to Costco today and bought Goodyear wiper blades.....with a $2.50 manufacturers rebate for each. Would never have known if you hadn't posted....$5.49 each after rebate and made in the USA!!!

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote