Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2023, 09:50 AM   #1
Mike A Model

Default Installing a 32 V8 Shiftleaver in a 39 Mercury Transmission

Good morning, I have a 1939 Mercury Transmission I would like to install in my 1932 Five Window Coupe. However, to retain the original look, I would like to know if I could, without a lot of modifications, install the 32-gear shift leaver into the 39-shift tower?
Thank yawl,
Mike
Mike A Model is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 11:08 AM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: Installing a 32 V8 Shiftleaver in a 39 Mercury Transmission

deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 11:49 AM   #3
DavidG

They are not compatible. You could cut the lower portion off the '39 transmission and weld it to the upper part from the '32 lever or heat and bend the '39 lever into the shape of the '32 lever. The portion of the lever that fits into the shift lever housing is longer starting with the '36 levers.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 01:04 PM   #4
rockfla

Given all that you would have to modify on the Merc transmission, IF your goal is for the "gearing"??? Why not just spend the money and have your 32 transmission built with the same gear ratios....you have to pull it out either way. ALSO wouldn't using the 39 Merc transmission also constitute a issue with the anti chatter rods as well??? THEN you can sell me the 39 Mercury transmission for my 39 Mercury coupe. JUST Kidding (SORT OF) Lol
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 01:42 PM   #5
motordr

I have 1938 transmission gears in a 32 case with the original 32 top shifter. I don’t remember all the details but it involved a bit of machining on the 2-3 fork. Late 39 has the larger diameter synchro, and possibly a longer shifter movement required?
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 02:24 PM   #6
Bored&Stroked

The easiest thing to do is cut the bottom off of the 39 shift lever and weld a 32 shifter top onto it.

You must check/set the angle of the lever before you weld it up as you'll probably need to angle it backwards a bit (due to the height or inclination of the shift tops for 32 versus 39 to be different).

You can use a 32 Case, but you'll most likely use the 39 Top anyway - so there isn't much gained by going down this path - unless you happen to have a case with a serial number that matches your frame. Also, depending on the cluster gear configuration and therefore the size of the front gear, you may need to grind/modify the 32 case for the cluster to correctly fit.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 02:47 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

I put my '39 shift lever in a vise and bent it with a wrench to match the illustration in the '32 owner's manual (note there was an early and a late version that was slightly different). It bent easy. I also cut a couple of inches off from the length and rethreaded for the shift knob. The diameter was a little larger than the original but you wouldn't see it unless you looked for it. The sheetmetal that went over the shifter required a little modification.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 03:40 PM   #8
motordr

I wanted to retain the cars serial numbers case and have the shift tower come through the floor in the stock location as well as have the ebrake handle in the original location and height. Later shift towers come through the floor at a different location and you have to fabricate a bracket for the ebrake handle.
Of course it’s all hotrodding, you choose what you want.
By the way, I’m looking for an original low mileage original paint 1930/31 Model A coupe, if anyone has a lead on one it would surely be appreciated!
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 01:54 AM   #9
Brian

I fitted the original 35 gearbox top onto a 39 transmission in order to keep it original looking; ie sloping tower and swan lever. A fellow barner has a jig and cuts and TIG welds the selectors to enable this to happen. Southern hemisphere though....lol. There is a fellow advertising selector forks in the classifieds for sale, possibly he could perform that operation for you?
thing is, your 32 tower has the sloping top and mount for the handbrake, the 39 Merc tower is straight. Comes out in a different place through the floor....
Old 01-01-2024, 07:35 AM   #10
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A Model View Post
I would like to know if I could, without a lot of modifications, install the 32-gear shift leaver into the 39-shift tower?
Not without a lot of modifications, unfortunately.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote