Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2021, 03:07 AM   #1
ADB

Default Generator field coils

Good day
I would like to know if anybody have information regarding the winding of the field coils for a 5 brush generator, basically the amount of turns for the field coils ,for me will be more cost effective to have it done here (South Africa ) than to import it.
ADB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:45 AM   #2
katy

Default Re: Generator field coils

I suspect that the field coils would be the same as a 3 brush generator with possibly different connections. Anyone?
Old 10-08-2021, 01:59 PM   #3
rotorwrench

Are yours damaged, missing, or do they just need to be re-wrapped with new insulation tape? If you have them, you can unwind them and check the number of coil windings and the gauge of the wire during the process.

I don't know how many turns they have since most folks check to see how many amps they draw if there are no open or shorted windings. The old originals are pretty resilient unless they set out in the elements too long.

There have been new sets of these available from a few sources but I don't know if they still are. One source is in the UK and the other in Canada but I don't see a lot of parts available as a general rule. The brush plate can be a hard to find on some of them.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-08-2021 at 03:50 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:42 AM   #4
ADB

The one I have still working, but the insulation doesn’t look good, the same for the winding. To be in the safe side I would like to replace the coils.
ADB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
rotorwrench

It may be easier to rewind them locally or yourself with the correct gauge magnet wire. Many of them were wrapped with cloth type pressure tape but there are always alternatives to insulation as long as they are covered well. You will have to unwind one of them to count the number of turns it has.

If they still draw the correct amount of amperage (as an electro-magnet) when connected to 6-volt source then you may consider just replacing the insulation. They will produce enough magnetic gauss to generate the necessary 12 to 15-amps if the armature is still good. The powerhouse generator was the easiest one to work on and there are several good threads on them here if you do a search. During disassembly, check the Ohms of resistance of each individual coil and see if they are all about the same. That will give an idea of what to expect the newly wound coils to have. Set a pole shoe up do the winding around it but use some tape round it to allow for the thickness of the insulator tape installation after the coil is wound. It will have to fit around that shoe before it is reinstalled.

This link gives some Ohms for comparison. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ouse+generator

Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-11-2021 at 10:27 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote