Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #21
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Default Re: Timken front wheel bearings good source

Mr Timken's contribution to the mechanized world far outweighs Mr Ford.. You'd be hard pressed to cite any one man who had a greater impact.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:51 PM   #22
updraught

https://www.timken.com/resources/int...lant-in-china/
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:31 AM   #23
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Is says right there on the brochure, "Based in China, serving the world".

I used to buy only Timken.
Now I see no reason to do so.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:52 AM   #24
Synchro909

That perfectly highlights how we have handed over key manufacturing, even strategically important functions to a less than friendly power. What could possibly go wrong with that? Bloody bean counters have short sighted outlooks and to hell with national security.
In the event of conflict, the first thing China would do is cutoff supply of items like these, then how would our military move?
Old 08-20-2020, 07:49 AM   #25
Jack Shaft
BANNED

In theory the idea was to introduce capitalism to the Chinese,show them the values of their cheap labor pool they figured that as the chinese profited and their condition improved they would welcome and encourage western ideals. Western capitalists exploited this to the hilt,everyone wants cheap labor..but hey,don't worry about tapered roller bearings being vital to national security..the chinese manufacture 96% of the free worlds pharmaceuticals..
Old 08-20-2020, 07:51 PM   #26
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
In theory the idea was to introduce capitalism to the Chinese,show them the values of their cheap labor pool they figured that as the chinese profited and their condition improved they would welcome and encourage western ideals. Western capitalists exploited this to the hilt,everyone wants cheap labor..but hey,don't worry about tapered roller bearings being vital to national security..the chinese manufacture 96% of the free worlds pharmaceuticals..
IMO, the Chinese have exploited a flaw in the capitalist system and now have us very dependent on them. They control too much in our countries - (read: We allowed them to take what they wanted) till now, without firing a shot, they have us. The future for our kids doesn't look good and all because we are too focussed on making as many $ as we can by whatever means necessary.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:21 PM   #27
bdtutton

I bought a set of Timken bearings from Bratton's for the front wheels of my Tudor. The bearings were marked Made In USA and seemed to be of the exceptional quality i would expect from bearings made in USA.
If you buy your parts from one of the major vendors you may pay a little more, but you probably will get genuine parts made where they say they are made.
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:43 PM   #28
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdtutton View Post
I bought a set of Timken bearings from Bratton's for the front wheels of my Tudor. The bearings were marked Made In USA and seemed to be of the exceptional quality i would expect from bearings made in USA.
If you buy your parts from one of the major vendors you may pay a little more, but you probably will get genuine parts made where they say they are made.
I called Snyders today.
The "USA" in the Timken description is outdated and will be removed from the on-line catalog soon.

The Brattons site does not say "USA".

If you buy Timkens from the suppliers, and you get USA, it will only be a fluke caused by the last of the USA inventory.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:39 PM   #29
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdtutton View Post
So, Snyders bearings marked "Made in USA" aren't. Deceptive advertising is a crime here.
Now, what was that about exceptional quality?
Old 08-21-2020, 07:46 AM   #30
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Don't like Timken? cross reference the Timken numbers to SKF,they are Swedish..or if your a history buff cross them to FAG,buy them from the bearing company from Schweinfurt Germany,made famous for the big raid in WW2.Bearings are made all over the world and the quality standards are very high for the most part,it goes without saying that Timken insures every bearing that carries their name to be of the highest quality.

You are not locked into the model a vendors world either,plenty of bearing supply houses that can cross timken numbers and get what you want..Motion Industries is a big one..
Old 08-21-2020, 08:02 AM   #31
updraught

If they come from the Timken factory where ever, they are probably fine. It is just knowing whose factory they came from is the problem.

They are not making it easy on themselves and their customers, and unscrupulous types are taking advantage of it unfortunately.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:33 AM   #32
duke36

Suggest measuring the spindles' o.d. and ask if your vendors will supply the bearings' actual i.d. As stated, there are slight variations which will not allow a slip fit.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:16 PM   #33
Lawrie

look up the timken tech site it shows all there dimensions ,and also how the part number tells you the bearing size, I just spent 1/2 day there looking at drawings and cross over numbers for the V8 pinion bearings,
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #34
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
Here is the correct Timken numbers and a source that is reasonably priced
https://www.carid.com/
CARiD https://www.carid.com/
P/N Qty unit Price total
1. Timken 15118 front inner wheel bearing 15118, 2@ $8.84 $17.68
2. Timken 15250 front inner wheel race 15250, 2@ $7.20 $14.40
3. Timken 09074 front outer wheel bearing 09074, 2@ $14.16 $28.32
4. Timken 09196 front outer wheel race 09196, 2@ $5.89 $11.78
Total $72.18
I just finished buying a full set of Timkens for the front hubs. I only bought unused "Made In USA" parts, so I had to buy older stock.

Most of the pieces I bought are in vintage Timken boxes that would eventually go on someone's "display" shelf.

The total cost cost was 129 USD (parts/tax/shipping). Just about 20 was for shipping from four different sources. So it cost me about 100 for all the pieces, not including shipping and tax.

My cost was about 30 more than the least expensive bearings out there (72.18 estimate) carrying the name 'Timken'.

So now I know. Timken's move to off-shore manufacturing cost me $30. Thanks a lot Timken!! You really know how to treat formerly loyal customers.

If you are going the same route that I did, at least you know what it will roughly cost to do so.

There are less costly ways to get USA roller bearings for your A. I found a few Bower and BCA bearings, and some bearings labeled as International Harvester (made by Timken). There are more examples out there, but you have to be patient and diligent...rare human traits.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:16 PM   #35
Tim Ayers

If patient, one can find new, US made bearings at swaps, etc. At Hershey this year, I bought a complete new set of NOS Timken front wheel bearings and races for $70 @ Hershey. I was stoked to find them.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote