Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2022, 11:57 AM   #41
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Thoughts/Opinions on Piston Rings

It is not just the reduction is friction, I like a chrome-moly top-ring. I use chrome moly rings on every other brand/type of performance engine, so it makes sense to me to use them on flatheads. This is more important if I'm in a boosted situation (which most of my flatheads are not). On the Flathead Cadillac I built for Bonneville I use a special top ring that is designed for high heat (generated by high boost). I'm a bit off track here . . .

I always check the amount of torque to rotate the engine over with the plugs out of it (on the stand). Then I record that amount of torque to reference later on (in case I have an issue later and suddenly the engine is harder to turn over). There is a notable difference in what it takes to turn an engine with metric rings over - vs the thicker cast iron ones. What I have NOT done (but this has me thinking) is to test two different engines at a later date (metrics vs traditional cast rings) - would be interesting to see how they are once they're broken in.

To each his own . . . plenty of ways to skin the Flathead Cat!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:59 AM   #42
Bored&Stroked

One reason that I end up with custom bore sizes is due to ring selection. If you talk to the piston manufacturers, they'll tell you that it is getting increasingly hard to find quality high performance ring packs in smaller bore sizes - unless they go to metric. So now days I determine the rings I'm going to run FIRST, then use that decision to determine my bore size. Kind of bass-akwards from the old days . . .

Again, this is important in higher performance and race applications - really not an issue for a basic street engine . . . but it is always good to know what your options are. We all determine what we want to spend our money on - and for what reasons. I tend to drift towards overkill - just the way I am wired.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-23-2022, 12:31 PM   #43
38 coupe

Bored&Stroked, I think you provide a great example of the difference in intended engine use. Your motors all seem to be on the high performance street to full race end of the scale. You are probably much more interested in power above 3,000 rpm than torque off idle. Therefore you choose forged pistons, thin rings, specific rod bearings, cam profile, port work, magneto, etc. to maximize the higher rpm performance.

I am interested in maximizing comfortable touring with a totally stock appearance. My logic is to maximize torque from idle to around 2,800 rpm. I don't care if the engine falls flat on its face at 3,000 rpm. Stock Ford camshaft and 8BA valves, merc crank, small overbore on 3 3/16 block, stock heads surfaced to achieve 0.050 above the piston, stock intake, 3.78 or 4.11 rear ratio with overdrive for me. Given my use there is no point in any other than cast pistons with cast iron rings.

I do really appreciate all you share with us though. For example, I recently went and found a new set of std cadmium-silver Federal-Mogul bearings (~$40 sold government surplus on ebay!) for use with a stroker crank use because information you posted.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote