Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2021, 08:38 AM   #1
old Tom

Default 1940 Ford V8 ID

I have a FH v/8 which is said to have come from a 1940 Ford. The heads are stamped A. The bell housing has a 2/8 with a O(or D) above it and a 2 below it.
It has the 2 cap dist. and a model 94 carb. The fan is bolted to the crankshaft.
Are these correct for a 40 Ford? It has a 3speed top loader trans vs the side loader which I thought was common for the 40.
Thanks.
old Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:46 AM   #2
flatjack9

Default Re: 1940 Ford V8 ID

39 and 40 were basically the same engine except for the ports for the temp senders. 40 used an electric sender so the ports were drilled straight through while the 39 had a ledge in the hole. Many things were changed on these engines over the years. The side shift was introduced for 1940.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:49 AM   #3
Kube

Many of the parts you'd mentioned in your post are quite interchangeable through many years. They, in and of themselves can not identify a block.
I might suggest you buy my book. It has a very thorough description as well as many detailed photos to aid you in your quest.

The 85 horsepower engine was available in both the DeLuxe and Ford V-8 models.
All blocks were cast iron. Some identifying characteristics are as follows:
The top water openings, between the center cylinders, were shaped like triangles while the center and bottom openings were shaped like trapezoids.
The top surface that mated with the valve chamber cover was smooth. That is, there was no raised flange. Raised flanges did not appear until approximately the middle of August, 1940. They arrived too late for 1940 model inclusion.
The standard bore was 3 1/16" diameter. Some engines were sleeved while others were not.
Four core plugs were on the machined surface that mated with the oil pan. These plugs created raised areas on the sides of the block.
Exhaust manifold mating surfaces were raised about 5/16" from the casting proper. This is unlike later blocks which were nearly flush with the casting.
Main bearing journals were a nominal 2.5" diameter.
Crankshaft length was a nominal 26.03".
A definite “shelf’ was cast above the timing gear cover. To help identify a correct engine block, this shelf is often used for the “pencil test” — meaning that a pencil will easily rest on this shelf.
The top of clutch housing was integral of the block casting.

Engine blocks were painted what is commonly referred to as “Ford Engine Green”. The machined surface areas that mated with the cylinder heads and valve chamber cover were masked prior to painting. Thus, those areas were intended to remain free of paint.
Some blocks were stamp coded on the left of the top machined surface between the cylinder head and valve chamber cover, very near the front, to indicate various items used in production. On occasion these codes were stamped erroneously on the right side. Common codes were “HS” for hardened sleeves, “AP” for aluminum pistons.
Two drain cocks (48-8115) were installed in the engine block. Each was slightly below the exhaust manifold and directly behind the water pump / engine mount.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:44 PM   #4
GaryU.

Check above the inspection plate cover for a serial number on your transmission to give an accurate date on it. As has been posted, side loader started in 1940 unless on a pickup or commercial vehicle. Love to see my fellow Wisconsinites chiming in with their knowledge, learned lots from both on here. Drain cocks from the factory Kube? Need to buy the book about that one I guess. old Tom, think you might be close as well, what's your locale if I'm not prying.
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:05 PM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU. View Post
Check above the inspection plate cover for a serial number on your transmission to give an accurate date on it. As has been posted, side loader started in 1940 unless on a pickup or commercial vehicle. Love to see my fellow Wisconsinites chiming in with their knowledge, learned lots from both on here. Drain cocks from the factory Kube? Need to buy the book about that one I guess. old Tom, think you might be close as well, what's your locale if I'm not prying.
Gary, The blocks, when they left the factory, had a pair of drain cocks installed.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:34 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Gary, The blocks, when they left the factory, had a pair of drain cocks installed.

The location that Kube speaks of can be seen with a plug protruding downward between the water pump and front of oil pan in this picture....one located each side. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote