Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2020, 07:16 AM   #1
john charlton

Default 28/29 aa cab door glass question

I had a piece of laminated glass cut with the measurements as per the Service Bulletins . The glass goes up and down OK but when it reaches the top there is an air gap towards the back about 1/2 " . When the glass is halfway up the top edge is more or less level with the bottom door window ledge .It does not show the approx 1" difference in height between the front and back of the glass .Anybody else noticed this ??? .The glass is uniformly seated in the metal lifter . Maybe something is bent somewhere ,thinks .

John in Autumn has arrived Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:27 AM   #2
Neil Wilson

Default Re: 28/29 aa cab door glass question

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
I had a piece of laminated glass cut with the measurements as per the Service Bulletins . The glass goes up and down OK but when it reaches the top there is an air gap towards the back about 1/2 " . When the glass is halfway up the top edge is more or less level with the bottom door window ledge .It does not show the approx 1" difference in height between the front and back of the glass .Anybody else noticed this ??? .The glass is uniformly seated in the metal lifter . Maybe something is bent somewhere ,thinks .

John in Autumn has arrived Suffolk County England .

John, What page of the Service Bulletins are you referring to? There should not be the 1" gap you reference. When the glass is lowered to the bottom, is the rear higher than the front? How much tilt is there in the glass (i.e. when half way up can the glass be tilted to raise the rear)? There should be almost no tilt.

https://aafords.com Ford Model AA Truck Club @ aafords.com
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
Joe K

The service bulletins "glass" page is seen at http://jmodela.coffeecup.com/glass/glass_lg.jpg. I think I can reproduce it below.

The correct glass for the side windows is in the upper RH corner. It shows on the dwg as Tudor, Coupe, AA-Cab, AA-panel delivery. When they refer to Tudor, Coupe, they're referring to the 1926-27 Model T Tudors and Coupes, which the doors are the same as the square cab trucks (hinges reported different but the difference may be in the mating door columns and the "tumble home" - nautical term of the curve of the Model T body.)

The 28-29 Model A Tudor door glass is shown on the next row, to the right.

IIRC, most recommend "tempered" glass for the side windows. Laminated safety glass is recommended for the front only.

Check your glass for "squareness." The two bottom corners are square. The two top corners embody the "unsquare."

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 09-23-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
john charlton

Thank you Neil and Joe . I did use the comprehensive information in the April 2011 "The Double A,er " .As I was using a stainless cored runner I went for the 25 7/16" width and simplified height to 19" and 20" . I did check the glass before fitting but could be I was not too careful . I had to bend the vertical window trim slide flanges slightly to allow the window trim to slide down without having to bop it too hard . Might be the 91 year old door is out of true but it seems to shut OK but has dropped a bit .When the glass is half up it is level with the window frame bottom that is the bit that mystifies me .

John in cool wet heavy rain Suffolk County England .
Old 09-23-2020, 01:31 PM   #5
Joe K

Almost ALL cab doors have a mismatch between the door and the strike plate. The cab is (in a way) a "compromised" design with all the cantilever loading from the door occurring on the front doorposts/cowl. The roof/cab rear don't (it seems) add much support.

If the door hits the strike and will latch without fuss, then the door itself I would consider "normal." It's actually a very stout design, probably better than the Tudor doors.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 09-23-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #6
Dan Partain

There is a soft rubber seal at the top of the window opening. Is that seal pushed all the way up in the front? If it is not pushed all the way up it could cause your window to not fully raise. Maybe try to raise your glass without the top seal in place and take a look at it that way for reference.
It's doubtful that the door itself has been racked out of square (as Joe K says), they are very solid doors and all steel.
Dan Partain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
john charlton

My problem door is the drivers (left) door . I am picking up the glass for the other door tomorrow and will fit that and see how it turns out .I could see things were not quite right before I installed the top seal .

John in same place same weather .
Old 09-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #8
Lawrie

I made a template from 3/16 ply first and trial fitted it, before getting the glass cut.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:32 PM   #9
Bob from Northport

That's exactly the way to do it!!!
Old 09-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #10
rocket1

On my ccpu I had left the truck at the glass shop they cut the glass and installed it fits perfectly I have never noticed if it lies parallel to door bottom,I will have to look.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote