Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #1
marko39

Default 39 starter circut

I am having problem with getting starter button to work. I understand button provides ground to wire to solinoid. Does not work even with button grounded directly to batt. If I apply ground directly to solinoid terminal, nothing. If I apply power ( negative ) to term. it works. If button grounds wire at dash, shouldn't it work with term. grounded? What am I missing? Thanks, Mark It is positive ground.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:57 AM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: 39 starter circut

Did this solenoid work before or is it a new solenoid? If it's a new one it may
be the wrong one.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
I am having problem with getting starter button to work. I understand button provides ground to wire to solinoid. Does not work even with button grounded directly to batt. If I apply ground directly to solinoid terminal, nothing. If I apply power ( negative ) to term. it works. If button grounds wire at dash, shouldn't it work with term. grounded? What am I missing? Thanks, Mark It is positive ground.
Marko, two things come to mind.
1) Repop dash switches are TOTAL CRAP! I can't stress that enough. JUNK! If you have a repop, find an authentic button / switch.
2) Did this circuit ever work properly with the solenoid you currently have installed? Some solenoids (Chrysler?) LOOK correct but internally are not functional with the Ford.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
TomO

You probably have the wrong type solenoid. Check for 6 volts (6 volt system) at the button (center) terminal, if you have 6 volts there, you have the correct solenoid. If you have less than 5 volts there, you have the wrong or bad solenoid.

My guess is that you have a solenoid that requires voltage to the button terminal in order to work. This requires a 2 terminal dash button.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
You probably have the wrong type solenoid. Check for 6 volts (6 volt system) at the button (center) terminal, if you have 6 volts there, you have the correct solenoid. If you have less than 5 volts there, you have the wrong or bad solenoid.

My guess is that you have a solenoid that requires voltage to the button terminal in order to work. This requires a 2 terminal dash button.
TomO, was I correct that the ones that appear correct but are not, were Chrysler?
Old 07-09-2020, 10:43 AM   #6
TomO

Mike, my Lincoln uses the one that requires the 2 terminal starter button and after Ford converted to 12 volts some Fords used them. Chrysler and other manufacturers did use that type also.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post

No voltage at terminal, only works if I apply voltage. I was thinking it was solenoid, this one is of unknown origin , I have some others I can try , just making sure I wasn't missing something. As for the button yes it is crap. It is a repop and stuck in about the third time I pushed it! Thanks, Mark
Old 07-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #8
Bob C

You need a solenoid with insulated base, circuit #2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solenoid wiring.jpg (258.7 KB, 66 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #9
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
You need a solenoid with insulated base, circuit #2.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #10
marko39

I tried an old crusty Ford solenoid an bingo! Works like it should and I learned something new. This site is a wealth of information. Now for a different button, does anyone sell nos. or Nors. ones? Thanks, Mark
Old 07-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #11
drolston

My brand new repo starter button was very intermittent. Found an original on Ebay for $15, which is a little high, but much better than the other one on Ebay which was priced at $45. No problems since. You might need to brighten the insides of the hole in the dash, where the button clips go.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:39 PM   #12
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
I tried an old crusty Ford solenoid an bingo! Works like it should and I learned something new. This site is a wealth of information. Now for a different button, does anyone sell nos. or Nors. ones? Thanks, Mark
If concourse correct (button color) is not too important to you, then eBay is a good place to find a NORS button. You can usually tell if they are truly old stock if the "start" is stamped in the stainless bezel deeply and is quite legible. The repops are stamped very lightly. It's a noticeable difference.

When you install your "new" switch (dash button) I'd suggest you solder a wire to the body of it. Run that wire to a nearby ground. Rest assured, this makes a huge difference.
In every one of my restorations I carefully do this so the "extra" wire can't be detected.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #13
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
If concourse correct (button color) is not too important to you, then eBay is a good place to find a NORS button. You can usually tell if they are truly old stock if the "start" is stamped in the stainless bezel deeply and is quite legible. The repops are stamped very lightly. It's a noticeable difference.

When you install your "new" switch (dash button) I'd suggest you solder a wire to the body of it. Run that wire to a nearby ground. Rest assured, this makes a huge difference.
In every one of my restorations I carefully do this so the "extra" wire can't be detected.
Will start looking, I remember your tip from past posts and am going to do it.