Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-03-2021, 07:21 AM   #1041
Fomoco998

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Like that one . I think your country would win hands down with names I've seen . Have a great day !
Fomoco998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:15 PM   #1042
woofa.express

Bill’s Birthday.

Yes, yesterday was Bill’s birthday. He turned 90. What a great afternoon I had meeting many of my clients from past years. They were or had been, like Bill, farmers and farmers are my favourite people. And farmers children who had moved away now returned, with their children, for this occasion. The venue was the machinery display or museum and it held many very old engines and tractors with brand names I had never heard of. I think I should go there and take some pictures and post them on this forum.
Bill is a special person and whilst I have known him for more than 40 years I have only recently got to know him. We were never able to converse except with difficulty. You see, Bill was deaf and conversation was at almost extreme volume plus he had never learned to form words correctly. Bill was easier to avoid.
It was as if a magic wand had been waved. Bill could hear and converse. Well. It was the cochlear ear or cochlear implant. That is an electrical devise which receives noise (vibrations), turns noise into electrical impulses and delivers it through a small diameter hole and carrier wire into the skull releasing them somehow into the cochlea. Whilst the reproduction is not perfect, the wearer can clearly understand conversation and further more learn how to form words and speak normally. The only disadvantage I understand is it destroys any hearing that may exist. So the decision to have one fitted really depends on whether or not you think your life will improve. For Bill and thousands of others it is a big resounding yes. Bill made a perfect and pleasant speech and all our hearts went out to him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iStock_58527224_health_library.jpg (59.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg how-your-cochlear-implant-works.jpg (13.7 KB, 6 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 04-03-2021 at 06:37 PM.
woofa.express is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:09 AM   #1043
woofa.express

Help Please.

The fuel gauge on my 1928 tourer under-reads. Rather than mess bending and recalibrating my fuel float attachment can any reader please advise the calibration data to make a dip-stick. Either in metric or imperial, it doesn’t matter. Also calibration data for my 1930 Coupe. Thankyou in advance, gary.

Old 04-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #1044
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
Help Please.

The fuel gauge on my 1928 tourer under-reads. Rather than mess bending and recalibrating my fuel float attachment can any reader please advise the calibration data to make a dip-stick. Either in metric or imperial, it doesn’t matter. Also calibration data for my 1930 Coupe. Thankyou in advance, gary.

Try this. Hope it helps.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=673314

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:05 PM   #1045
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
Try this. Hope it helps.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=673314

thankyou shew01

Old 04-21-2021, 05:12 AM   #1046
woofa.express

Anzac Day.

This was the birth of both Australia and New Zealand as nations and conceived by the mateship formed as a result of the futile and fruitless battle at Gallipoli, Turkey.
This is how it all started. In 1914 Russia asked Britain for help fighting the Ottoman empire and Germany. Britain, along with France agreed and dispatched a navel fleet to the Black Sea through the Dardanelles which are the straits joining the Black Sea and the Mediterranean, some 40 miles long and 2 miles wide. Both over confidence and arrogance clouded their thinking and the Turks sank 3 battle ships and badly damaged another 3. Many allied lives were lost. The allies came to their senses and withdrew. The commander ordering this invasion was the later popular and loved Winston Churchill.
A second plan was made. An invading force was put ashore on the Turkish coast at a location known as Gallipoli. This was equally as futile and as a result some 44,500 allied soldiers killed and many more wounded. After 8 months the allies again capitulated. Amongst these allied killed were 9,000 Australians and New Zealanders who became known as the ANZACS (Australian and New Zealand Army Corp). Again it was Churchill who conceived this once again failed plan. Today those serving soldiers and others from subsequent wars are commemorated by a recognition day each year on April 25 which marks the Gallipoli landing and is known as ANZAC day.
I don’t believe there are any WW1 veterans still living and many WW2 returned soldiers are passaging in what is a street parade using wheel chairs or motorcars. Those who returned from Viet Nam are looking grey but there is still some youth and middle aged from those returning from the Mid East. Only one of any wars in which we fought was for the defence of Australia and that was in New Guinea against the Japanese.

ANZAC day has another important significance. All our farmers are looking for rain to sow their winter crops of cereal and canola then for subsequent rain until maturity. Food on their tables and our tables aswell is dependent on that rain. So here’s hoping for you farmers for we all like to eat. And here’s to you military men and women who have returned or passed since returning and in particular those who were killed in battle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (7.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 04-21-2021 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:17 AM   #1047
woofa.express

Think about this. It was 52 years ago, at the time of writing, that man landed on the moon but yet has not yet made a shopping trolley that can track straight.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:27 PM   #1048
Jim Brierley

That's because shopping carts {the correct name :-) }were conceived by engineers on a limited budget, not the billions spent on space travel!!! If they had been designed by an average mechanic, they would track properly, take corners well and cost less!!!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:34 PM   #1049
shew01

Quote:
Think about this. It was 52 years ago, at the time of writing, that man landed on the moon but yet has not yet made a shopping trolley that can track straight.

I assume shopping trolleys are what we (in the USA) call shopping carts. I agree. It is a rare find to get one that does pull hard one direction or another. [emoji23] Or, rattle with a jittery wheel as you move along.

Old 04-21-2021, 02:35 PM   #1050
shew01

Default tell a Model A related story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
That's because shopping carts {the correct name :-) }were conceived by engineers on a limited budget, not the billions spent on space travel!!! If they had been designed by an average mechanic, they would track properly, take corners well and cost less!!!

True. [emoji23]

Shopping at Walmart is always a workout....

Old 04-22-2021, 04:28 PM   #1051
woofa.express

this follows my story of 21 May, number 1047.

Following my ANZAC story.

My friend from Perth (W.A Au) has said I had not included Korea in my story. Yes, that is correct and not by intention. My friend, Lyn is her name, said her late husband fought there.
In addition other wars in which we fought that I did not mention were the Maori wars in New Zealand, The Sudan, the Boar war in South Africa and Malaya. So I didn’t miss any I went to the internet and found there were 28 in all. We do seem to get involved in other peoples scraps. Never the less I won’t detract from the loss of human people who have gone to war either voluntarily or having been conscripted. We should not let the memory of these men and women fade with time.

Old 05-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #1052
woofa.express

I wrote this story for my local car club monthly journal. There is some photography comments that may interest readers.

New Model Motorcar Launch Photography.

This story starts with breakfast for my local car club members at Gary’s house amongst the gum trees a few weeks ago. I invited the guests to guess or calculate the length of the old bridge. Ken Bevin won. In addition to the guessing competition a raffle for a framed photograph of the winners favourite motorcar. This time it was Maurine Bevin. We missed the chance of taking the shot at our shine and show which was washed out so I suggested a shot in Toc with the old bridge in the back ground.

For years both Holden and Ford would photograph their new model motorcars at the Toc airport. Always at first light and before sun rise. And after sun set before last light. This was so as there was no light reflecting off the vehicle. The back drop in this case was black bitumen so as there was no scenery to detract from the motorcar. In addition the near side windows to the camera were covered by black plastic so as the shot didn’t show anything else but the motorcar. During the day the new model was hidden from the outside world in a hanger. However all of us who worked on or flew off the aerodrome had a preview of the about to be launched motorcar. Since the Bevin’s car is not for a catalogue an attractive backdrop may enhance the interest of the viewer.

So this morning I took “Olive” to the levee and shot a picture with the bridge in the background. Being autumn the sun was shining straight up the river enhancing the red colour of the bridge. The picture below is that shot and I have taken it from below the height of the levee. This is to eliminate the modern art on the underside of the bridge: otherwise known as graffiti. I have also photographed the name of the motorcar. All my motorcars have names, Woofa express is perhaps the most well known of them all.
Question to you. Does your motorcar have a name. If so let’s hear it, perhaps with a photo. Post on this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1530.jpg (101.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1531.jpg (34.0 KB, 12 views)

Old 05-02-2021, 07:06 AM   #1053
Chris in WNC

Quote:

All my motorcars have names, Woofa express is perhaps the most well known of them all.
Question to you. Does your motorcar have a name. If so let’s hear it, perhaps with a photo. Post on this thread.
Have never been big on naming cars, although I did occasionally call my 59 Impala "the pink panther" (it was Cameo Coral which looked sort of pinkish).
Also had a 64 Rambler wagon I named "the midnight Rambler" and a 62 Falcon that was "the Maltese Falcon".

Have never named any Model As, although if one of them is behaving well, I may pat the front fender and call it "pussycat". Conversely if it is behaving badly I might refer to it as "the anti-Christ"........
Old 05-02-2021, 03:38 PM   #1054
shew01

Default tell a Model A related story

Lady (a 1931 Victoria)

Old 05-03-2021, 09:49 AM   #1055
Fomoco998

I name all my vehicles Model A is Jane , 95 F-150 is Ole Red, and Ford Explorer is Pearl I guess I'm not the only one .
Fomoco998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:23 PM   #1056
Rob Doe

Okay, I'll try my hand at this, as I have a few Model A tales from my teens. (I'm 70)

Earlier today, I mentioned in a thread that a near life-long friend had returned from Florida and helped me solve a problem on my A. Well I just got off the phone with him and he told a good tale. His adventures in his first A predate mine as he's 5 years older.

Tonight he sez to me, "Anyway, I was motorin' along about 35 mph near the airport in my 29 Tudor when suddenly there's a thump and a scraping sound. I glanced out my window and see my rear wheel goin' by." Turns out he had painted his wheels and forgot to come back and finish tightening the left rear.

I laughed and said, " Heck buddy, I can top that one."

So I tell him about the wheel that came off my car one late night -- back in the day. I was 17. I was in love. She and I watched the TV until the channel went off and then I departed for home. It was cold, a heavy snow lay on the ground, but the main roads were clear. Frost on the windows etc. I get the bright idea to test the end play in the steering. I pull up and push down on the steering wheel a couple times and voila, the wheel comes off in my hands. Guess I was pretty sharp, cause I reached over and shut the key off and let the ole girl bring things to a halt herself. She did go off the right side of the road, but slowly, and there were no parked cars.

I'd like to say, it was like the Three Stooges arguing about who's gonna drive and passing the wheel back and forth, but no, I don't remember bending or having to replace the horn rod. Turned out, a small amount of the threads had broken off the top of the column and I was able to put the wheel back on and get myself home. I was able to find the nut and get it to grab a couple fractured threads.

I drove the car plenty after that even to Colorado and back. Up to Estes Park and back down. Thought about Pikes peak. I did lots of things in the car afterward, but you can guess the one thing I never did again.

And how did I meet above said friend? Well, he answered an ad. I sold him that car for $550 to get cash to buy my first antique airplane for $2350. My friend has many antique and classic cars now and over his lifetime. He swears that my car was the most worn out automobile he has ever seen!

Last edited by Rob Doe; 05-06-2021 at 06:34 AM.
Rob Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #1057
woofa.express

Good story Rob Doe. Just keep writing and do tell us what sort of aeroplane you purchased with the money from your Model A sale and maybe a photo as well.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:25 PM   #1058
Rob Doe

Woofa,

My first airplane was a 1940 Luscombe 8B. The B means it had a Lycoming 65 hp instead of a Continental 65, (8A). That old girl, She taught me to fly. Her training served me well, as like yourself, I went on to fly Ag aircraft spraying fungicide and insecticides on corn and beans.

The Thrushes you showed in your pictures were S2R's. I flew the 1340 600 hp Pratt powered one and my last season was in a Super Doer Thrush conversion to an 1820 1400 hp Wright with a 450 gallon hopper. The Super Doer is a beast. She can plow through deep water and thick mud like an ocean going racing boat breaks ocean waves. She can lift 450 gallon as easily as the 600 carried 250, and 250 is a light load for the 600.

Rob
Old 05-05-2021, 04:17 PM   #1059
woofa.express

Hi Rob . you are an interesting fellow.

Yes, it is a Thrush S2R. I flew it in North Africa in '67 when we had a drought in Queensland.

Below is spraying tomatoes in the late 80’s with an Agcat, my favourite radial aeroplane. But workload and competition forced me into turbine (Airtractor 502) and I loved them too.

Check your P.M. cheers, gary.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg cat2.jpeg (39.4 KB, 9 views)

Old 05-09-2021, 02:14 AM   #1060
woofa.express

Camel Man is really Camel Woman.

It was about 10 years back my wife Patsy and I were traveling inland Kalgoorlie to Newman and overnighted at Cue. This tiny town was fascinating and likewise it’s history. Here goes.

Located in the remote Shire of Murchison which is located in the greater area known as the “Gold Fields” of Western Australia. Gold was discovered in 1893 and by 1900 Cue had a population of 10,000 (the 2016 census population count - 178). A town with many beautiful sandstone buildings but unfortunately the stone is soft and eroding. We visited two retail shops. One still had the flying fox cashier system which was still serviceable although they had no need of it. The second was a local clothes maker and seller trading as Camel Man. In fact the owner was a woman. Her name, Jayne Maes. A most hospitable and informative woman whose products were what stockmen and outback people would wear. Dudes too, as they liked to appear as important outdoor people. Yes, hand made on site. I always feel somewhat guilty because we never purchased anything. We simply did not need anything. I’ll never forget her pleasant and hospitable manner and I will send her a copy of this story. Whilst not timely it would be a thankyou. Thankyou Jayne.
Jayne had a number of camels and did solo expeditions across the desert which lasted for many days. I think she said her kids rode a camel to the school bus. She had good rapport with these animals to the extent she did not need to hobble at night even when trekking the remotest of areas. She spoke of the three phases of camel irritation, the first to spit, the second I don’t recall and the third was when they knelt down and crushed (killed) the brute who mistreated them.
Whilst the above may not interest many American readers the following will. Her shop was a former residence of the late U.S. president Herbert Hoover. Rather than me write about this time in his life I have copied from the internet. Here it is.

Herbert Clark Hoover (August 10, 1874 – October 20, 1964) was an American geologist and mining engineer who had worked at several mines in Western Australia before he was appointed Mining Superintendent (manager) of the Sons of Gwalia Mine from 1 May 1898.
Hoover, who was just 23 years old, immediately initiated radical changes to cut costs. He increased working hours, introduced single-handed work, ordered shift changes to occur at the working face rather than above ground, and stopped double time on Sundays as well as bonuses for working wet ground.
He employed contract labour from the pool of European migrants willing to work for lower wages, bringing him into conflict with the Miners’ Union which had already organised a number of strikes on the WA goldfields in a bid for better pay and conditions. He is reported to have written of the migrants, whom he regarded as his allies against the powerful union:

The young Hoover and one of several of his houses. This one is in Cue and Jayne occupied the section on the viewers right.

For those wishing to read further here is a link.
http://www.gwalia.org.au/history/herbert-hoover/
[/I][/SIZE]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg herbert hoover 1898.jpg (8.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Cue_Shire_Offices.jpg (67.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 05-09-2021 at 02:33 AM.