Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2024, 06:37 PM   #21
rotorwrench

Default Re: Wesenberg EVR- voltage cycling problem

There is another outfit that is gearing up to make the EVRs. The started with the model Ts but the change to 6-volt positive ground is not that much of a challenge. Here is a link to a recent post on the subject.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2297785
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 04:53 AM   #22
ndnchf

Glad to hear it was a simple fix.

Just FYI, here are photos of Mike Hill's new EVR. One going in a '29 - early '30 generator, the other in a flathead V8 generator. Mike picked up the ball after Tom's passing and makes a very nice EVR. I have installed 6 of them so far, including my own '31 pickup and '35 Fordor V8. They work great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240228_160120_copy_567x1008.jpg (28.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20240307_153245_copy_548x588.jpg (133.4 KB, 23 views)
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-29-2024, 09:10 AM   #23
LuisUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry in St.Paul View Post
hi guys,
Have any of you with Tom Wesenberg EVRs had problems with the charge "cycling" from nothing to full charge and back again? If so, were you able to solve the problem?

I had posted earlier about problems with my generator cycling, (is 'all or nothing', no charge for several miles, then full charge for several miles...). And how I was going to revert back from my diode to an original style cutout to see if that fixed it. A local club member directed me to dear sorely-missed Tom's instructions in an old post, to "snip the little blue wire" on the EVR for use with a diode cutout. So, I decided to do that. To my surprise, the little blue wire is already cut!!!

I shouldn't be surprised, Tom installed the EWR for me 13 years ago, and I must have had the diode cutout then. I DID ask him about this cycling issue then (at completion of my restoration), and he assumed it must be because I was using an Optima battery. Recently I switched back to a std battery and still had the problem, thus 'finally time to do something about it'. Now I don't have any idea what to do. I thought about soldering the wire back together and trying a std cutout.... but if the EVR doesn't work as intended now with wire snipped +diode (per Tom's design), why would it be any different with a regular cutout? Thinking I may have to live with the cycling (issue because short drives ending on "no charge" means "low battery voltage" next time I start it). OR, put the 3rd brush back in :-( Any ideas?? Thanks!

You're experiencing charge cycling issues with your Tom Wesenberg EVR and have tried various solutions, like reverting to an original cutout or snipping the blue wire, but the problem persists, and you're seeking advice on how to resolve it.
LuisUp is offline   Reply With Quote