Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2022, 11:10 AM   #1
cowtown

Default New Seat for 29 Pickup

Where would You buy a New seat for a 29 Pickup?
cowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 11:16 AM   #2
KenBolton

Default Re: New Seat for 29 Pickup

Snyder’s
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 03:45 PM   #3
Joe K

I assume you're talking seat springs/cushions?

LeBaron Bonney was the source and repop originator for Model A seat springs. They're gone now but others have stepped into the breach.

Before you take the big step, consider buying a seat bottom, but only the covering for the seat back - if this is possible.

As you buy and use the completed/stuffed/prepared cushions for the pickup trucks, the first thing you will notice as you sit in the drivers seat is how close the steering wheel is to your chest. People in those days simply were not as "large" as they are today - plus our "expectations" of space in an automobile has changed. We are simply used to driving more roomy cars (not to mention cup holders.)

I say buy the partial seat setup because you can use the seat bottom quite well, but a lot of larger drivers can benefit from a "thinner" seat back in the trucks. You take the prepared cover and using a piece of plywood as a back and 3" of foam to the same outline you fabric cover the foam and staple the cover to the plywood back. This is then used in the usual position giving the driver a more modern "feel."

Now this issue may not be a problem for you. Perhaps you're into judging, or unlike me you're not 6-3 tall. Or maybe your driving expectations are different than most. But it is (or was) a "users" option in the L-B days.

Another aspect which comes to mind with original format seats is that they're stuffed with padding certainly, but L-B used to use a layer of "granulated" filler which self-adheres certainly but can be pulled loose. Otherwise known as the "perfect mouse-insulation material." Mice, if they can access your car interior, or even if they can't, will remove the stuffing to be placed elsewhere - as in any confined space. Like your muffler, or your No. 3 engine cylinder where the exhaust valve was left open when the engine stopped the last time. (tell me how I know about these?)

My original format L-B truck seat cushions live in a large footlocker sized wooden storage box when they're not being used as protection against mice. This is a MUST DO when parking the car even for a few days.

Foam, on the other hand, is relatively mouse-resistant (not total), and can be bought in different "durometers" to effect different degrees of seat cushion. Your back might be made more cushy compared to a seat bottom which probably wants to be a bit stiffer.

Some suggestions from a "user."

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 11-01-2022 at 03:50 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 07:35 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Snyder's did start out making springs before selling other parts https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/c...es/aboutus.htm
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 06:01 AM   #5
ronn

good advice Joe.

the pickups are a bit tight to sit in, for medium to large guys.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:04 AM   #6
slatgrille

I have a used bottom spring and bought a new back spring for my '29 RPU, but need the cushion and covering/upholstery for it. Any suggestions where I can get that material? I've looked at various vendors to no avail. This is a modified driver, not a restoration, so I'm looking for something budget 'friendly'. Do it myself, or have it done?

Craig
slatgrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:56 AM   #7
jwmckenzie

https://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/

Just put in a Snyders 2"lower seat cushion spring into my '29 Open Cab Pickup, you will also need the 2" longer back spring if you don't do a foam back to get a bit more room front to back.

The 2" lower spring makes it easier to get in.

Last edited by jwmckenzie; 11-02-2022 at 09:43 AM.
jwmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 11:26 AM   #8
CarlG

I put in a pair of Jeep CJ5 reproduction seats in my '31. Don't know how they would work in a '29, but for me they work just fine, sits lower and further back giving me a lot more room. (They were way cheaper than any other solution I could come up with.)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 03:37 PM   #9
woofa.express

I changed the seat back in my ’28 ute. It is, or was, as you all know, 6 or 7 inches thick. I replaced it with a piece of marine ply, glued a piece of 2 inch thick foam on it and had it covered. Sitting about 4 inches further back from the steering wheel is more comfortable. Just a little easier to climb in and out as well. Just a tad.
The ply is hinged at base so as it will tip forward which allows access to what became a small storage space, easy to access. I’m away from home at present otherwise I’d photograph it and include in this post. The seat swab remains unchanged.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 06:57 PM   #10
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatgrille View Post
but need the cushion and covering/upholstery for it. Any suggestions where I can get that material?
Find the furniture upholstery guy in town. He'll have or be able to get you the foam. A square chunk is fine it cuts easily with an electric carving knife.

I'm going the plywood and foam route for our 29 Coupe.

My upholstery is still nice so basically I'll just be shortening the sides.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote