Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
ndp

Default 8BA Distributor centrifugal advance

Has anyone used a Mallory distributor with centrifugal advance on their 8BA?
ndp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: 8BA Distributor centrifugal advance

The addition of a centrifugal advance is a welcome addition to any 8ba flathead, especially one with a inop load a matic unit on it.
We have serviced every available replacement unit for these engines.
Mallorys come new and old with my preference being for the older units as they are usa made with some quality metal insides. Many of the new ones come with very poor advance curves and light weight parts inside.
We make up a chevrolet aluminum conversion thats has a very good mechanical advance as well.
Check the forums and do some looking around there is tons of info on the subject....
Be glad to help in any way i can ....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Ol' Ron

Bubba offers a modified Chevy distributor with vacuum advance that works wonder in a flathead. with this unit you can Taylor your ignition advance for both power and economy.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Deuce Man

Some time back a friend bought a very nice 50 Merc with a high dollar flathead. He could never get it to run decently. Ripped it out and gave it to me for my flathead project. It had two 97's and the original distributor was running on manifold vacuum,[wont work]. I took the catalogs advice where it says" the best thing you can do for your flathead" and bought a Mallory full centrifugal dual point distributor. Started right up, and I drove it many miles. I was never really satrisfied with the performance. If I ran enouugh advance where it started to feel a little more responsive, it sounded like I was going to knock a hole in the top of the pistons. I sent an old chevy distributor to Bubba and had it recurved and cut down to fit my flathead. This was the single biggest improvement I ever did to this car in the 10 or 12 years I have driven it.In the beginning I was like a kid with a new toy. I hammered it quite a bunch, afraid I was going to blow it up I disclipined myself and drove more conservatively. My gas mileage went up a bunch, I just sounds a whole lot sweeter out the back, and has a whole lot more punch, and runs 10-15 degrees cooler! Win-Win situation- thanks Bubba. Rich
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
52merc

ive got 1 of bubbas also no vac advance im thinking of putting 1 on later but as is it performs great trev nz
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
ole39

when i get mine back from bubba, i'll let you know.
ole39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Ol' Ron

Without the vacuum advance it no beter than the Mallory or MSD. The Vacuum advance takes into consideration the load on the engine and allows the machanical advance to give power and the vacuum advance to provide economical cruise for better mileage. Remember depending on the engine and the modifications to it will determine the Total advance curve, ssoooo ya gota putz with it. I'd recomend 20 degs at 2000 and 6 degs vacuum for starters.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
4t8v8

I am running one on mine. Had it for many years and never could get it to run right. Sent it to Bubba's. He worked on it and I am totally happy with it. Power is right on from idle through the rpm range.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:07 AM   #9
49r

I was hooked by the 'best thing you can do for a flathead' tag and bought a new dual point Mallory for my 8BA, fitting it 3 months ago. No difference in performance over the stock 'Lodamatic' and identical mpg. Anyone in New Zealand who can set these up properly?
49r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
Mike51Merc

The new Mallory dual point comes with a terrible set of points and an even worse condensor.

Swap in a set of Echlin 2300 points and a quality condensor before giving up on it, or install a Pertronix inside which is what I eventually did.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:41 AM   #11
Alaska Jim

Mike, I am curious as to what you are getting for fuel mileage, since you do not have vac. advance. I also have a 51 Merc.,and have been thinking of changing the dist. I still have the stock loadomatic. It is working fine, but would like a bit more adjustability,and would like to put on the dual carb set up I bought over 10 years ago. car has been running fine, and never got around to putting it on.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
Mike, I am curious as to what you are getting for fuel mileage, since you do not have vac. advance. I also have a 51 Merc.,and have been thinking of changing the dist. I still have the stock loadomatic. It is working fine, but would like a bit more adjustability,and would like to put on the dual carb set up I bought over 10 years ago. car has been running fine, and never got around to putting it on.
I'm running dual Stromberg 48s on a straight linkage. I haven't measured fuel economy in quite a while, but it was like 17-20mpg a few years ago.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #13
Gene1949

My setup
1949 Ford w/ 53 Merc
Early Chevrolet distributer with Chrysler pick-up and reluctor
95 Tahoe e-coil and bracket (with mods)
Replace Tahoe module with Corvette hei

The bracket, coil and module tuck very nicely under the distributor using the old coil bracket mounting bolts. This is all easily accomplished with minimal tools and skills/normal hotrodder stuff. Its simple, cheap and bulletproof. My flattie has never started and ran this well. Increasing the plug gap to .045 made a huge difference
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #14
40cpe

^^^^
Are you using an HEI distributer? I can't picture all that in my mind. We love pictures.

Last edited by 40cpe; 06-13-2016 at 11:36 AM.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:14 PM   #15
Gene1949

I'll post some pix when I get the car home next month. We are at my daughters until she kicks us out. I'm in the process of moving out of the shop there to the new one in NV

The dist is a small cap point unit pre HEI. They polish easily and the Tahoe bracket assembly tucks up out of the way. I ran the Chrysler electronics for 20+ years and it never started or ran like it does with the GM electronic.

I've got 11 degrees dist centrifugal @ 2200 and 7 vac (9"). That will probably change once we leave the Columbia River
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:56 AM   #16
BUBBAS IGNITION

When its all said and done the GM HEI is the best control for electronics ever made! Problem is the orginal hei module with all the circuits etc is no longer available in any form. They are all sourced off shore and seems to be missing lots of the control functions in the orginal modules.
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #17
grumpys hot rods

CRT Performance LLC
Brand New GM HEI Distributor 4 Pin Ignition Control Module
Proudly Made in the USA!

Will Fit All 6 & 8 cyl GM HEI Distributors

Each module comes individually poly bagged

Our CRT ignition control module offers high output and superior reliability.
It is designed to be installed in the original equipment style housings for easy installation.

Our Made In the USA module utilizes exacting "dwell controller" to ensure excellent spark energy to the plug that
will maintain that level up to 7500 rpm. The "current controller" protects against coil overheating.
Protected from all EMI and RFI source

May Be A Quality Part ????????????/
grumpys hot rods is offline   Reply With Quote