Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
C4engr

Default Sagging Right Rear door

I have a right rear door on a 31 S/W sedan that sags to the front about 3/16". Any suggestions on how to correct problem?
C4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: Sagging Right Rear door

Mine would dropp a bit when I opened it up as well. Dad figured out that some of the screws were loose. So maybe check yours and if need be take them out and fill with either toothpicks ro wood filler and redrill. Just a thought.

Mike
Old 11-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I drilled the old holes round and then glued in a piece of wood dowelling and it worked great !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Dick Carne

You mentioned I believe that you had a slant window fordor, which would therefore not have the wooden body frame for the door hinge screws to fit into that straight windshield cars have. That said, you could still have loose screws at the hinge, but the repair would be different, and might instead require re-tapping the d-nut, or drilling the nut out to allow a free-spinning nut to be used on the back side. Perhaps another solution, depending on the amount of the drop down, might also be a function of a bent hinge. In that event, perhaps another consideration might be to take these (door hinges) off to affect a slight bend back to the rear of the car might be another idea worth considering. Should you go that route, it should only require a very slight alteration to yield dramatic alignment issues at the center post. Let us know what your ultimate remedy turns out to be.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
columbiA

If the door is sagging a bit,you could stick a short piece of wood between door & rear pillar at lower hinge & push door to bend lower hinge slightly & it should raise the door.Try it a bit at a time so as not to over do it.It has worked for me in the past.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
Marco Tahtaras

The suggestions are all over the map because the question was a bit vague or lacking details. The real solution depends on the actual problem as opposed to the symptoms. A detailed look at the car would tell a great deal.

1. Is the door actually low or is it just low relative to the front door?

2. With the door closed, how is the door gap along the hinge pillar including along the curve over the fender? Is it wider at the top than bottom or vice versa?

3. How are the hinge pillar gaps on each of the other doors (fully closed)? That will tell us what if any compensating was done by a previous owner and what the reason may be.

4. Lastly, note if and how much each door lifts or lowers as it is fully latched. The last inch or so of closing engages the dovetails and if viewed carefully you can see if the door shifts up or down.

It's important to note that the door dovetails were NOT designed to raise or lower the door when you close it. They were/are intended to be in a neutral position with fitted doors and were merely there to control or restrict movement of the doors while the car is in motion.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #7
C4engr

Marco,

1. The door is LOW as the top is not parallel with the drip rail. Rear to front drops approx 3/16".
2. With the door closed the pillar gap is 3/16" at bottom and 1/8" at top.
The gap along fender is 1/8".
3. The left rear door pillar gap of 1/8" at bottom and 3/16" at top. Gap along fender is 1/8". All other doors align and close very good.
4.The door dovetail does not engage without lifting door. Currently the dovetail is not in place because of the mis-alignment. With male dovetail in place the door would rise about 5/16" to center line of female dovetail.

I hope this sheds more light to my problem...

Last edited by C4engr; 11-02-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
Marco Tahtaras

Ok, it sounds like the car was probably hit in the right rear at one time and I can visualize a couple issues. However you should be able to correct it. Start by adding another rubber pad at each of the two rear blocks on the right side. That would be at the rear cross member and near the rear seat riser panel. That should shim or lift the rear corner and bring the door with it while leaving the center pillar where it is, and not change the fit of the front door. Hopefully one pad each will be sufficient.

I am assuming that all the body bolts are currently tightened down.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
C4engr

Marco,

Thanks for the tip. I will advise after the holidays. I am getting ready to spend the time with Grand kids in NC.