Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
rdmace1956

Question Weak emergency brakes - 41 Merc

Spent a little time on weekend getting a 41 Mercury back on the road. Restoration is about 5 years old and it has sat for well over a year. I only get to 'visit' this car a few times a year. So I collect some parts and drive several hours to play in the shop with it. This is my first post but I have read the forum on and off for about a year.

I am new to the world of these old cars, may late father-in-law was a master mechanic and so did things instinctively without much in the way of books or manuals to guide him.

Brakes were weak but came into it after I added fresh fluid and bled the system good. In June I had worked on the car to get it started and found the master cylinder had run dry, I added fluid but did not get the brakes to pump up on that visit. This time I found that it had held fluid OK for several months and still looked dry everywhere. I actually thought I was going to have to change out the master cylinder but so far all seems well there. Good stiff pedal.

My question is on the emergency/park brake. The cable had been tightened as far as it will go and two 'slack devices' are already on the cables but the brakes are barely dragging when the umbrella handle is full up. When I turn the drums by hand I can feel a very light drag of the shoes as I would expect.

I did not get a chance to pull the drums to look but I suspect the shoes are in nearly new condition. Should the park brake be strong enough to be used as a real emergency brake? If I find the shoes are OK, should I try to get a new set of cables to install? I do not know if any of the brake cables were replaced as part of the restoration.
rdmace1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
Bassman/NZ

Default Re: Weak emergency brakes - 41 Merc

The emergency brake should work well, and a properly adjusted one should pull the car up well. Cables should be available from Macs, Carpenter, Drake, C&G, Spadaro etc, but may not be listed as 41 Merc, that being a bit of an uncommon model. I would think the cables for a 40 Ford should fit, but I'm guessing.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
Gary in La.

Emergency brake cable should be '39 - '41 P/N 99A 2275 (106.25" long) Ford / Merc show the same in the 1938 - 1946 Ford Mercury parts book.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
billwill

From what you say it sounds like you new shoes goodluck
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
dick lyons

I found that with my 48 coupe, if I first push the brake down hard first the e. brakes hold better. try that. dick in DEL. brake with foot, then pull e. brake handle.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
rdmace1956

Thanks for correct part number info.

I see there is a Ford cable listed that is 107.25" long. Maybe someone put on wrong cable at some point.
rdmace1956 is offline   Reply With Quote