Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
GaryTx

Default 46 Hood Doesn't Line up with Cowl

When I close the hood on my 46 Wagon the back of the hood at the cowl doesn't sit down. I push the Hood down at each corner to line up with the cowl.
Is this normal?? Is there an adjustment in the hinge?? or are they defective??
Thanks Gary
GaryTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: 46 Hood Doesn't Line up with Cowl

Peruse this helpful info.
https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77451&highlight=ford+hood+alignme nt
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
Dave Mc

My 48 had the same problem , I had to rebuild the Hinges , The Pivot Holes & Rivets become worn and egg shaped. . I removed the Rivets and rounded the Holes again then got some new Rivets and with the Torch Heated them Redhot and placed them on an Anvil ,use pliers to hold the head and Hit the Skinny end to Fatten them to fit Tight in the holes ,Hood fits perf now, see before and after pics.I tried the Bob Drake replacement hinges and they are too flimsy , I did use the New Springs from the Drake Hinges though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0199.jpg (83.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0486.jpg (65.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0483.jpg (80.2 KB, 41 views)

Dave Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
1942deluxe

Just went thru this on my 48 Coupe. Raise the hinge and the hood will close tighter in the rear. Kind of counter intuitive but it works. Go small amounts so you don't chip paint.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mc View Post
My 48 had the same problem , I had to rebuild the Hinges , The Pivot Holes & Rivets become worn and egg shaped. . I removed the Rivets and rounded the Holes again then got some new Rivets and with the Torch Heated them Redhot and placed them on an Anvil ,use pliers to hold the head and Hit the Skinny end to Fatten them to fit Tight in the holes ,Hood fits perf now, see before and after pics.I tried the Bob Drake replacement hinges and they are too flimsy , I did use the New Springs from the Drake Hinges though
Dave, could you elaborate on where you found the rivets you used and also on the part about holding the head after heating the rivet? I was about to weld some steel on the riveted side of the pin and try to mushroom it over again to tighten it up, but new rivets would be much better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4254.jpg (57.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4255.jpg (32.5 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Bolts; 01-12-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts View Post
Dave, could you elaborate on where you found the rivets you used and also on the part about holding the head after heating the rivet? I was about to weld some steel on the riveted side of the pin and try to mushroom it over again to tighten it up, but new rivets would be much better.
What you're showing in your pictures is the knee brace, the spring operated bracket that holds the hood up, not the hinges that wear and allow the knee brace to lift the hood up at the back. No adjustment necessary to the knee brace (hinge will work fine, and a worn one even better, totally without the knee brace, as mine does - hood lays flat since no spring to push it up). It's the hinge that wears and allows the rise of the hood. That's the part that needs repaired/rebuilt.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Dave Mc

Quote:
I Found new Rivets at ORCHARD SUPPLY HARDWARE , but I think most Hardware stores would have them , about holding the rivets , I use vise grips and clamp the Head , lay the head of the Rivet on an Anvil or Bench Vise and heat the stem , smack it while Hot , this expands the stem . hope that clears up the question P.S. Old Henry is right about the Main Hinge plate Rivets being the Culprits

Old 01-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
Bolts

Helpful information, Thanks for answering my question.
Don't want to hijack your thread, but just one other related question if you don't mind.
On my car the pin in the knee brace is so loose, the stop part (little bent tang) barely engages. On the end, the little bracket where it attaches to the underside of the hood is broken and looks like it was slightly bent before it broke. Do you think the lose joint was contributing to flexing causing the fracture?
Old 01-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
woodiewagon46

If you can get a copy of the 2009, May/June, issue of the V-8 Times, there is a two page article on how to align the hood of 41 thru 48 Fords.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #10
Dave Mc

Quote:
Helpful information, Thanks for answering my question.
Don't want to hijack your thread, but just one other related question if you don't mind.
On my car the pin in the knee brace is so loose, the stop part (little bent tang) barely engages. On the end, the little bracket where it attaches to the underside of the hood is broken and looks like it was slightly bent before it broke. Do you think the lose joint was contributing to flexing causing the fracture?
Some people would open the hood all the way till it stops and then PUSH UP and bend related parts to make the Hood fit better, usually how those parts get bent/twisted.that method works sometimes at least temporarily. the correct way is to straighten the kinks and Brad the Knee joint rivet to tighten it, then replace the old rivets in the Hinge Base Plate. that is how I would fix it.others may give different info.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #11
fordor41

I had the same problem on my '41. Replaced both hinges and knee braces with NOS. Still the same problem even after adj. the hinges on the cowl. Ended up removing the springs on the knee braces and the hood shut perfectly. Now I use a fold down prop rod like in newer cars
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #12
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
I had the same problem on my '41. Replaced both hinges and knee braces with NOS. Still the same problem even after adj. the hinges on the cowl. Ended up removing the springs on the knee braces and the hood shut perfectly. Now I use a fold down prop rod like in newer cars
That's what I did too except I put a weak spring in place of the original so it looks right, it just doesn't do anything. Use a rod to hold up the hood. I like it better because it holds the hood higher than the knee brace ever did anyway.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #13
66miles

Exact same problem here folks. Prof, I also use a prop to hold the lid up not only cos it holds her high enough to get under there, but cos the springs never worked a damn anyway. The lid came down on me one day and damn near knocked me clean out. I can't get the back edge to sit down either so I might try the spring trick too. Great tip!
66miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:23 AM   #14
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66miles View Post
Exact same problem here folks. Prof, I also use a prop to hold the lid up not only cos it holds her high enough to get under there, but cos the springs never worked a damn anyway. The lid came down on me one day and damn near knocked me clean out. I can't get the back edge to sit down either so I might try the spring trick too. Great tip!
Try having the boot lid ( sorry trunk lid) to a 48cpe come down on your head...ouch! I have the same problem re fit with the bonnet (sorry hood)

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
Dave Mc

After 65 years or more , things just don't go up and stay up like they used too