Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
STAN WHITE

Default 1934 ford Toe In Setting

How to set Toe In When Engine is in car, no fenders yet. Thanks stan
STAN WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:48 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: 1934 ford Toe In Setting

Added weight will not affect the toe in. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:59 PM   #3
19Fordy

Stan: Read through al this info. lots of good ideas.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #4
rockfla

IF the 34 is anything like my 32......Jack the front end up off the ground and put it on jack stands. Pull the cotter pins from the nuts on the inner part of the tie rod, then loosen the nut on each side. Then measure from the inside front edge of the rims left to right (or right to left) as high up on the rim (on the front) as the engine/frame will allow, and write down that measurement.......THEN move to the back side of the front wheels and measure from the same spot on the edge of the rims in the back and write that measurement down. You will then see where the "toe" is and how far you need to adjust it. You will most likely need a pipe wrench to turn the tie rod link bar as it most likely will not turn by hand. You will have to test for yourself which way to turn it as I don't remember which direction to turn it to narrow it and which way to widen it???? Sorry!!! IF memory serves the 32 was 51-1/2 dead straight, front to back....Now I'm 51-3/8 front, 51-5/8 rear!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
Talkwrench

Make a tool easy.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Like in Talkwrench tool post, the readings really should be from the center of the tread.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #7
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Like in Talkwrench tool post, the readings really should be from the center of the tread.
IF you are going to use center of tread, I used my mag base on a piece of railroad iron and put a dial indicator on the outer edge of the rims to see just how straight my rims where, then on smoothest part of the inside and outside of the sidewall of the tires, then on the center tread of the tire so see exactly how "TRUE" not only the rims are BUT how true or out of true the tires where!!!

I was, at most, 30 thousands out on one of the above measurements.....the rest were less than 25 thousands which I felt was pretty "TRUE".

There is also a good youtube vid on setting the toe on a Model A and the fellow uses a "Duby" (Spelling) toe in gauge that is spring loaded and has a rule on it that fits on the edge of the rims and makes it VERY easy to measure.....I looked on Amazon Prime and it is less than $100 bucks.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:19 AM   #8
earlyride

Quote:
An easy way to locate the center of the tread is jack the car up, spin the tire and scribe a mark on a spot at or near the center of the tread on both tires and with a tool like talkwrench has gives you an accurate measurement of toe in/out. The car should be on the ground when checking for adjustment, as the weight of the car flexes the axel and affects everything. Thats the way I do it
earlyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:23 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I often do a quick check to the inside of the tire wall. Not the best, but it is quick and easy and gives you an idea. You can just take two strips of wood and overlap them, mark the overlap with a pin or pencil. Compare the marks between front and back. Again, not the best for accuracy, but working well for a quick setup.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyride View Post
An easy way to locate the center of the tread is jack the car up, spin the tire and scribe a mark on a spot at or near the center of the tread on both tires and with a tool like talkwrench has gives you an accurate measurement of toe in/out. The car should be on the ground when checking for adjustment, as the weight of the car flexes the axel and affects everything. Thats the way I do it
Yes, that is the better way to go about it, IMO.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
Ford Freak

Quote:
I often do a quick check to the inside of the tire wall. Not the best, but it is quick and easy and gives you an idea. You can just take two strips of wood and overlap them, mark the overlap with a pin or pencil. Compare the marks between front and back. Again, not the best for accuracy, but working well for a quick setup.
You can also use an adjustable shower curtain rod . I got mine from the local Dollar General store for $6.00 . Works for me ! - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote