Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2019, 10:15 PM   #1
RobbHelf

Default '33 steering column lights/ horn contacts

Gentlemen,
I'm kinda stuck on how to remove the lower end cap of the steering column to expose the rotary electrical contact element. The sole reason for doing this is that a very reliable and knowledgeable V8er explained to me that the reason my horns don't work on my deluxe fordor is that there may be 86 years of gunk built up at the end of the column, possibly shorting out the horn connections. He explained by cleaning up that area may in fact solve my problem. I can release the wire bale/clip but can't seem to loosen the cap. Also, it's very difficult to work on the garage floor under the auto so I'm also wondering if this is something I should be doing on a garage lift?
I'm really not sure sure what I'm in for once that cap drops off so any insight into what's ahead for me would be really appreciated!
(Note: All the lights do work from the steering wheel switch and my horns also work but only when I directly hooked them up to the battery for testing)
Thanks!!!
RobbHelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:31 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: '33 steering column lights/ horn contacts

after you flip the bale off, the bottom half of the can with the wires comming out will twist about a 1/4 " and then pull off. it will twist ccw, towards the motor. if you look at the side of the can, at 3 & 9 oclock you will see the stamped in channel the twist will follow. once off, the wires are on a plastic disk which should come off with it, or slide off after. inside the end of the rod is exposed and the brass button on the end is your horn connection. if its all dirty like your friend suggest, your lucky because the next step is remove the steering wheel to get at the other end of the wire for testing. best wishes
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:18 PM   #3
RobbHelf

Thanks!!! I now know how the end cap releases. I was just tugging on the cap ensuring to not twist either way in this early stage of dismantling. The last thing I want to do is yank or twist any wires or contacts out of place, especially working on the ground with not much room to work. Do you know exactly what components I need to clean and are safe to clean with a solvent spray?
Old 06-03-2019, 08:12 AM   #4
TJ

Make sure you have disconnected the battery before you begin the job.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
RobbHelf

Good point! Thanks