Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2017, 01:05 AM   #1
Daves55Sedan

Default Low-pressure brake light switch

The cheap knock-off standard replacement stop-light switches that are available from most suppliers don't last very long. The contacts are not good enough. I got tired of these and swapped the switches on both my '55 Fords with the low-pressure brake-light switches, but they also burn out prematurely (IMO).
The switch in my Courier is only two years old and it has gone bad.
Has anyone found something else that will withstand the brake fluid pressure AND has contacts good enough to last a fair amount of time?
Incidently, the '55 Courier had been converted to 12-volts, but the fordor sedan is 6-volts. You would think that the switch in the car would have burned out first due to having double the current (amperage) flowing thru the contacts as compared with the 12-volt system.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:16 AM   #2
JeffB2

Default Re: Low-pressure brake light switch

A lot of us have converted to a simple GM mechanical switch that operates off the brake pedal you just have to fab a simple bracket for it. You can find these in the O'Reilly and Autozone "Help" section about $5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1s-l500.jpg (26.9 KB, 198 views)
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:43 AM   #3
Alaska Jim

If you want a pressure style switch, I have heard that Harley -Davidson sell one that works well. I have no actual experience, just what I have read on several different forums over the last several years.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
Crankster

NOS and NORS seem to last OK, the switch is a common part and they made a lot of them.
There is also a more expensive modern variant available that is said to trigger at a lower pressure. R. Francis maybe?

DOT 5 tolerant too, this may also an issue.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Low-pressure brake light switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post

A lot of us have converted to a simple {{{{{ shudder... GM ... shudder }}}}} mechanical switch that operates off the brake pedal you just have to fab a simple bracket for it. You can find these in the O'Reilly and Autozone "Help" section about $5

You guys got that tar hot yet? Bring that chicken over here!

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #6
estout81
BANNED

I've used Harley Davidson switch on my '48 F-1 for several years with no problems. Brake lights come on with very little pedal pressure and I use DOT 5 fluid in the system. Switch uses the some thread as the Ford. Only change was the wire terminals. Easy fix.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
KULTULZ

Post Re: Low-pressure brake light switch

C1AZ 13480-A seems to have been discontinued only fairly recently so should still be available from evilBay or NOS suppliers.

The SW is both 6V and 12V. There were also many quality aftermarket suppliers and should be available from source such as NAPA, STANDARD, etc.

I imagine a lot of these suppliers sell CHI-COM due to their purchase price and not caring what they push across the counter.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 12-22-2017, 10:10 PM   #8
paul2748

I went to a mechanical switch off the brake swing arm in my 54, making up a simple bracket to attach to the brace holding the pedal in my 54. The 55 should have a similar configuration. PM me if you would like a copy of the write up I made on it. Includes pics. The switch looks like the one shown above.

I kept the old hydraulic switch in tact so if the mechanical switch fails I can go back to the hydraulic one in an emergency
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:09 AM   #9
deucemac

I also went to the Harley brake light switch a few years ago and have had no problems since. A little spendy but considering a one time purchase, well worth it .
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #10
46international

I bought the cheaper one from Mac's and it did not last very long at all. I replaced it with the more expensive one from Mac's ($30 or so) and it has worked fine for 5 years. Good call on the Harley Davidson switch also, I have one of them on a bike and have had no problems with it at all.
46international is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #11
rotorwrench

Even the HD stuff is Hecho en Mexico now days but the quality is still good at least for the time being.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #12
y'sguy

I converted my 55 bird to a manual bracket switch located on the brake pedal arm. It has been working well for many years now, longer than I can remember! I recommend this. Also cured the inferior leaking of said switches I seemed to be having.
y'sguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:37 PM   #13
Kahuna

I use the Harley switch on 3 cars with absolutely no problems. I also use Dot 5 fluid.
I also add a relay in the circuit if using larger/brighter bulbs.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:39 PM   #14
Daves55Sedan

I have decided that since the Harley Davidson switch is a direct replacement at the end of the master cylinder, and that it is compatible with DOT 5 fluid, that is what I am going to go after. I forgot to mention that I converted both my cars to DOT 5 fluid years ago.
Can you buy these at an auto parts store? or do you need to find a motorcycle shop?
Can somebody tell me the Part # ?
Old 12-23-2017, 11:56 PM   #15
Crankster

Why not buy one made for the purpose? SW-32, from Ron Francis Wiring. About 30 bones.

"A high quality switch with a much longer life than previous models available anywhere. Fits most cars, with 20-50 pounds pressure required, instead of stock units that need 60-120 pounds pressure to activate. Standard 1/8 inch Pipe Thread. Design rating of 4 amp. Halogens, trailers or any combination of more than 2 standard tailight bulbs and small LED third brake light will require our part number BR-66 or equivalent. ATTENTION: THIS updated version of this trusty switch is D.O.T. compliant which includes silicone fluid compatibility and it is capable of 200 -300% more cycles"
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #16
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Low-pressure brake light switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post

Why not buy one made for the purpose? SW-32, from Ron Francis Wiring. About 30 bones.

"A high quality switch with a much longer life than previous models available anywhere. Fits most cars, with 20-50 pounds pressure required, instead of stock units that need 60-120 pounds pressure to activate. Standard 1/8 inch Pipe Thread. Design rating of 4 amp. Halogens, trailers or any combination of more than 2 standard tailight bulbs and small LED third brake light will require our part number BR-66 or equivalent.

ATTENTION: THIS updated version of this trusty switch is D.O.T. compliant which includes silicone fluid compatibility and it is capable of 200 -300% more cycles"
GOOD INFO HERE!

While we are at it, it is a good idea (IMO of course) to put the HDL circuit on a relay also.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 01-02-2018, 02:32 PM   #17
bobss396

Do not buy one from Napa. The one I got took too much pressure to have the brake lights come on. I found one on eBay for around $12, takes 45 pounds of line pressure to trip it. I should have bought 2 of them. My brake system is new, everything is clean and I use DOT3 fluid. There are some at Summit for $30 or so from Painless, but always look for the lowest pressure you can get.

This is the one I got, still in my watch list.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Ford-...tZ8jxz&vxp=mtr

One from CCP
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-FORD-...dWGC~Z&vxp=mtr

Last edited by bobss396; 01-02-2018 at 02:40 PM.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #18
zoegrant

Had a mechanical brake light switch from CASCO in Coshocton OH that I had on a t-bird for 7 years with out any problems... their part # 13480MK " switch and mounting brackets included...$31. Teir tel # 1-800-374-0914......good people to deal with.
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #19
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
That is the exact switch that I have in the Courier now which is burnt out. But I didn't get is from Francis wiring. Many of the resto parts suppliers were offering this switch as an alternative to the replacement switch for people who had converted their brake systems to DOT5, silicone fluid. And both my cars had all new brake lines, master cyl, etc. So they both got this switch, probably from Concours Parts, but now I see that the resto parts suppliers seem to be discontinuing to offer these "low-pressure" brake light switches. It got me wondering if maybe they hadn't received numerous complaints from the switches not lasting very long.
I still had the factory original switch on this thing in 1985 still working, but replaced it when I converted the system to silicone fluid. It would probably still be working to this day had I not converted the system. But I will never go back to DOT3 hydraulic fluid. My Master cylinder, brass fittings and brake-lines are still rust free after all these decades.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #20
Daves55Sedan

I have not looked at the mechanical switches but I am keeping them in mind as a last resort. If I did end up using one, it would absolutely need to be configured for fail-closed operation. In other words, the contacts would be energized when the button or plunger is RELEASED, and the circuit is de-energized when the button is depressed. Otherwise it would be too difficult to figure the exact and precise mounting arrangement for the switch. And if a switch is offered that has 1 normally opened and one normally closed contacts, that would work also. You just don't use one of the terminals for this purpose.