Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
corvette8n

Default King-Seeley gas guage guts

Can the guts of the fuel sending unit be taken out of a later fuel unit(say mid 60's truck) and be transplanted to a non working one? When was the last year of the King-seely unit used in anything by Ford.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: King-Seeley gas guage guts

I believe it was some time in the mid to late 50s. Keep in mind that changes and ugrades in these units may have changed them enough to make a transfer not worth the effort. The change over to 12-volt systems had long lasting consequences. It might be easier to just convert the whole system to modern.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #3
19Fordy

I found that the guts from the 6 volt King-Sealy sending units can be interchanged. Not sure if the 12v units can be interchanged. The photos below show a stock 40 Ford gas tank sending unit and a 1950's unit. Both units look like the 2nd photo and are 6V.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2448.jpg (43.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9097B.jpg (52.6 KB, 56 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:42 PM   #4
Drbrown

This is a DC system. The sending unit is designed to accommodate and use by the voltage coming from the gauge. Thus the "sending" unit is just a grounding device that controls the amount of voltage it "leaks" to ground. The sending unit is not a true resistance type unit but operates using a pulse-like electronic method, which is why some gauges do not properly work with some modern replacement sender units.

I have a stock 6 volt gauge if you need it. Its out of a '47. I don't know if the color/pattern on the gauge back-plate is the same but it can be changed if it doesn't match. If you have or will install a 12 volt system, just put inexpensive Runtz 12 to 6 volt diode drops on the back of your three dash gauges. The 6 volt rated tank sender will still work.

If the electrical guts of your sender are faulty you could have it rebuilt, try a used one, or take a chance with a repro. My OE sender works fine. My problem was the cork float on the arm sank. I bought the Drake brass float it snapped right on the OE sender arm.

Last edited by Drbrown; 11-11-2017 at 12:15 AM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:57 PM   #5
fordor41

If you have 12V, yes. I got 12V gauges & senders(temp & oil PSI) from a ford truck(70-80's) and transplanted the guts into my '41 cases. it's an exact fit. caution, mark them as they can be mixed up. I used a Ron Francis 12-6V reducer(VR-1). they operate perfectly.
only problem I had was the new movements came from plastic cases and the needle stuck out a tad further so I spaced the gauges back with washesr to let the needles clear the glass.
sorry I miss read your post. Can't seem to delete this!!!

Last edited by fordor41; 11-11-2017 at 12:05 AM.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
If you have 12V, yes. I got 12V gauges & senders(temp & oil PSI) from a ford truck(70-80's) and transplanted the guts into my '41 cases. it's an exact fit. caution, mark them as they can be mixed up. I used a Ron Francis 12-6V reducer(VR-1). they operate perfectly.
only problem I had was the new movements came from plastic cases and the needle stuck out a tad further so I spaced the gauges back with washesr to let the needles clear the glass.
sorry I miss read your post. Can't seem to delete this!!!
OK, know this is not what you were posting about, but is there any reason your setup would not work in a 6v car without the voltage reducer?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I believe it was some time in the mid to late 50s. Keep in mind that changes and ugrades in these units may have changed them enough to make a transfer not worth the effort. The change over to 12-volt systems had long lasting consequences. It might be easier to just convert the whole system to modern.
The gauges were still 6v, wonder if the negative ground would make a difference? I wouldn't think so, the sender is just providing a ground path to the gauge. Both the gauge and sender are points type devices and I wouldn't think polarity would be an issue.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:42 PM   #8
deucemac

Ford used 6V King Seeley gauges until 1986 when they went to magnetic gauges and we were inundated with gauge problems for quite a while after that. The IVR kept the voltage to the gauge at a pulsed 6V. I have replaced lots of early gauges with the later ones by changing the needle and face plate of the original with the newest gauge. Just make sure that the sweep matches is all .
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Deucemac, have you used the other combination, original gauge with a later sending unit?
Old 11-14-2017, 01:09 AM   #10
deucemac

O/p and temp but not fuel. Mostly used newer gauge guts with original senders per owner requests
Old 11-14-2017, 01:10 AM   #11
deucemac

A few o/p and temp setups but no fuel. Mostly used newer gauge guts with original senders per owner requests.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I don't see any reason a later fuel sender wouldn't work, but I haven't looked at one or tried it. I need to look into to that.