Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #21
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Battery Location

I've run a 12 volt batterys in the normal location on model A's for many years and never had a problem. Some get confused about positive ground and charge the battery up backwards, then when the battery is connected correctly it will blow up.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:42 PM   #22
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccaas View Post
I've always wondered about this location for the battery.

It seems this would make for very cold batteries and very slow starting in cold weather.

Was it to improve battery cooling at speed? My latest 2011 Ford has the battery ON TOP of the inline 4 engine!
The drivers side floor was the practical location for the battery. If the battery was installed on the passengers side under the floor boards it would be right over the muffler. If you've ever ridden on the passenger side you will know that the floorboards get hot. It would be DANE-JUS for the battery to be mounted over the very hot muffler .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 04:18 AM   #23
German guy

Any input on the idea of mounting the battery in a box on the driver's side running board? I would like to add decent carpet and better sound insulation to the floor and having to remove it to get at the battery is not great. Perhaps a metal box sprayed body color and running the cables through the running board and along the frame to the front?
German guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 09:50 AM   #24
Badpuppy

Owning a model A is like being married to a woman. Any attempt at changing her nature will lead only to tears and disappointment.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 10:25 AM   #25
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by German guy View Post
Any input on the idea of mounting the battery in a box on the driver's side running board? I would like to add decent carpet and better sound insulation to the floor and having to remove it to get at the battery is not great.
May I suggest a split floorboard. Then you only have to remove the part of the floor over the battery. I just flip up the carpet on the left side and remove half the floor to get to the battery.

Snyder's sell a kit or fab your own https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/p...7804&cat=41699

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 11-27-2023 at 10:35 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 11:16 AM   #26
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradlescyth View Post
Thanks guys
I've seen battries on firewalls, but what got me was one in a PU underneath the bed???
Ed
IIRC the 26-27 Model T Pickups had a bed which was much like the later Model A Pickup bed. Yunno - short and you can barely carry a sheet of plywood in it.

Many confuse the Model T pickup bed with the Model A, especially when the bed is separated from the car.

But the Model T differed in making accommodation for a battery below the bed floor boards. A metal plate similar to the plate used in the Model A foot board allowed access to the battery from the top for servicing - but not replacement.

A short video (4 seconds) of a 1927 Model T battery replacement. Interesting in that the bracket apparently "swivels" to allow the battery to be removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tYRzqACiwY

Joe K