Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2022, 01:34 PM   #1
Stretch Cab

Default Rear Wheel Bearing 1936

Good afternoon,

I’m trying to get my rear hubs cleaned up and new bearings replaced. I have the bearings out but my question is: is there a flange that goes inside the rear hub that the bearings sit down in? Where the bearing was is all nice and shiny. There also seems to be a flat washer at the bottom that the bottom of the bearing sits on.
Does that part come out for cleaning? It seems to be under the flange I mentioned above and I don’t think it would come out on its own.

I have the 35/36 Ford book but it doesn’t show enough detail in this area to help. Anybody have some input or pictures? Thanks so much!
Old 01-08-2022, 04:35 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: Rear Wheel Bearing 1936

It has been a while since I did my 36 but I will comment, from memory. There were two different sizes of rear bearings. Make sure what size you need. From your description it sounds like your bearing may have separated. The rollers are contained within a cage, the cage having a "retaining plate" at each end. Are your rollers still secured in the cage with the plate at each end? That "flat washer" sounds like a retaining plate. Sorry I can't post pix.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:56 PM   #3
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Cab View Post
Good afternoon,

I’m trying to get my rear hubs cleaned up and new bearings replaced. I have the bearings out but my question is: is there a flange that goes inside the rear hub that the bearings sit down in? Where the bearing was is all nice and shiny. There also seems to be a flat washer at the bottom that the bottom of the bearing sits on.
Does that part come out for cleaning? It seems to be under the flange I mentioned above and I don’t think it would come out on its own.

I have the 35/36 Ford book but it doesn’t show enough detail in this area to help. Anybody have some input or pictures? Thanks so much!
I think what you're calling a flange is the outer bearing race that is pressed into the hub. The washer/spacer is there to locate the bearing and protect the hub from wear. The washer/spacer was installed before the race so it can't be removed. just wash the bore with solvent and blow it out with air until it's clean. I wouldn't replace the bearings unless they're bad. If you have to replace them use good original bearings.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:54 AM   #4
Don Rogers

I'm having trouble with some of the terminologies used here, so let me describe what you should see in the rear hub assembly.
1. Early hubs should use a large bearing (B-1225-A) That hub has no insert bearing sleeve. The bearing is held in place by a grease retainer and snap ring. That's all!!
2. Later hubs use the smaller bearing (68-1225-A) and a hardened bearing sleeve. This sleeve is a pressed fit and is replaceable. The bearing is held in place by a grease retainer and snap ring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear hub bearings.jpg (43.4 KB, 115 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 03:57 PM   #5
bbrocksr

Don, On the later hubs with the hardened sleeve there is a washer/spacer which goes in before the sleeve is pressed in. I have these on my 36 and I have 4 spares that have the same setup. I noticed these because of the problem of cleaning behind them. They are apparently there to prevent the bearing cage from contacting the hub and wearing it.
I couldn't find anything on it in the books.
Bill
Old 01-10-2022, 09:10 AM   #6
Stretch Cab

bbrock, what you are describing is exactly what I have. The "sleeve" couldn't think of that term is apparently on top of the washer and cleaning under it is a job. Fortunately the car is a low mileage car and the bearings and sleeve look very good.
Everything should clean up and will only need the new grease retainer and snap ring.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 01-10-2022, 09:26 PM   #7
Ol' Ron

This is a good reason why I don't use these rear ends. Not easy to fix, and expensive.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:40 PM   #8
Dave Slater

bbrock. . Interesting information on the 68-1236-A hardened repair sleeve for hubs prior to 1936 and as a replacement sleeve for hubs 1936 to 1948. I have some New Old Stock sleeves and there is no spacer/washer in the Ford box. That doesn’t mean there never was one. It makes sense having this spacer within the hub. I also can not find anything relating to this spacer/washer in the parts books. Is there any chance you could take measurements on the washer and Email them to [email protected] and I will get some made up. Dave
Dave Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:07 PM   #9
bbrocksr

Dave, That hardened sleeve is for the late hub only, the early hub takes a larger bearing.
I don't have a washer/spacer that is not installed, would be hard to measure down in the bore behind the sleeve.
Bill
Old 01-12-2022, 06:48 AM   #10
Dave Slater

Bill I always thought the 68-1236-A sleeve was for the later hub also but you can install this sleeve in a 1928 to 1936 hub and use the later 68-1225 bearing and it will work perfect. We started reproducing these sleeves 25 years ago and they still work today. They will also fit the early 1928 AR hubs. Shame about the spacer/washer, we can figure out the OD and ID just need to work out the thickness. I assume they are a steel washer? Thanks Dave
Dave Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:13 PM   #11
bbrocksr

Dave, I cleaned up my spare hubs so I could get a better look at the washer. It appears to be a protective washer for the hub, the ID.is 2.187" can't measure the OD. probably about 3" or a little over as it does move side to side a little. I can't measure the thickness but it appears to be about .060 -.070" It is stamped steel and has 2 indents 180 degrees apart to keep it from rotating. I took some pictures of them but I'll have to get my daughter to send them. I may pull one of the sleeves out to get the washer out if needed.

Bill