Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2022, 05:10 PM   #21
GB SISSON

Default Re: King pin puller

Since I have no idea what a perch pin even is I made mine for king pins only. I used a 3/4" fine thread bolt for the pusher and put a chamfer on the pushing end in case of mushrooming. The only fine thread 3/4" nut I could find are extra lug nuts from a parts tonner. Not a lot of threads, maybe 1/2" worth of threads. I have pretty much completed my pusher but my bolt only has 1 3/4" of male threads and I want to weld 2 lug nuts together so I have a really tall nut. The side bolts are 5/8 coarse with tall nuts I made from cutting a coupler nut in half. A friend placed a 3/4" fine thread die in my mailbox an hour ago and I need to brave the ice and go retreive it. My plan is to use my 18v makita 1/2" drive impact on it. Any problems with using the impact?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:31 PM   #22
nickthebandit

After many years of abusing my hands, I decided to take my front axle assemblies to a spring shop. $ 20.00, and 20 minutes. And the axle assembly is stripped clean. I am not wealthy by any means, but I did it to save my hands from further abuse.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:38 PM   #23
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthebandit View Post
After many years of abusing my hands, I decided to take my front axle assemblies to a spring shop. $ 20.00, and 20 minutes. And the axle assembly is stripped clean. I am not wealthy by any means, but I did it to save my hands from further abuse.
Yes, I get that but the closest machine shop is an all day trip and another all day trip to pick it up after it's done. Plus the ferry ticket is 50 bucks x 2 trips. Then there's the two days off and the fuel. Furthermore if I took too many parts to a shop it would no longer be a hobby, which is what it is for me. It's Sunday, I'm snowed in and bored. Perfect day to build a tool I use once a year at most. I realize my situation is far different than 'normal'. I totally understand why you do what you do and I get what I do. As far as hand injuries, This is the most recent of many. My new tool with the impact gun on the bolt gently lifts the old kingpin up and out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finger%20injury.jpg (30.5 KB, 154 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 01-02-2022 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:07 PM   #24
GB SISSON

Ok, here are some pics of today's project. After all was said and done I put the impact gun on it and watched the 'nailhead' of the king pin appear effortlessly before my eyes.. Tomorrow I will place a chunk of old kingpin or a socket so the bolt will push it right to the top and out. Really, I just need a longer bolt. Easy. The 'pipe' at the top is a section of a fairlead roller off a warn 12,000 lb winch I parted out years ago. Nice heavy wall, fit the 'nailhead' perfectly. I could weld some washers to the bottom piece, but it is more versatile as a puller this way. I am eyeing a Very nice steering wheel on a tonner in my woods. Should pull that with no problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tailgate of junk.jpg (148.1 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg tailgate of junk 2.jpg (154.9 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg tailgate of junk Kingpin Rising.jpg (145.6 KB, 168 views)
Old 01-02-2022, 08:12 PM   #25
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
. As far as hand injuries, This is the most recent of many. My new tool with the impact gun on the bolt gently lifts the old kingpin up and out!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:13 PM   #26
petehoovie

Quote:
Ok, here are some pics of today's project. After all was said and done I put the impact gun on it and watched the 'nailhead' of the king pin appear effortlessly before my eyes.. Tomorrow I will place a chunk of old kingpin or a socket so the bolt will push it right to the top and out. Really, I just need a longer bolt. Easy. The 'pipe' at the top is a section of a fairlead roller off a warn 12,000 lb winch I parted out years ago. Nice heavy wall, fit the 'nailhead' perfectly. I could weld some washers to the bottom piece, but it is more versatile as a puller this way. I am eyeing a Very nice steering wheel on a tonner in my woods. Should pull that with no problem.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:19 PM   #27
bbrocksr

Quote:
Pretty clever!
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:38 PM   #28
GB SISSON

Unfortunately I cannot say "No other tools were harmed in the manufacture of this device". I needed some bar stock for the bottom piece. Something that would weld well and not bend... Like some high quality tool steel. I was recently given a 5 gallon bucket full of large wrenches with many duplicates. A 1 1/4 proto combination wrench gave up 9" of it's middle. This became the two 4 1/2" pieces sandwiching the two stacked lug nuts for the pusher bolt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tailgat kingpin cut wrench.jpg (58.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 01-02-2022, 10:34 PM   #29
fordor41

I must have been lucky. I tapped the lock pin out on my '41 fordor and tapped the bottom of my king pins and they came right out that was with 129K miles. No telling if they were originals or not.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:01 AM   #30
GB SISSON

The other side was tough. My 3/4" fine thread bolt got to wandering and would not center on the bottom of the king pin. I then welded two 3/4" lug nuts as guide bushings for the long 5/8" draw bolts. Now it stays centered and she cranked right out through the winch fairlead roller. I have ordered an 8" long center bolt so I don't have to add a slug half way through. With my impact gun I should be able to 'push' out a kingpin in about 30 seconds and watch it fall onto the floor in utter defeat. Oh, and my Moog kingpins arrived today All parts were made in USA, even the thrust bearings, and are not the newfangled 'pre-honed type. 63 bucks on amazon...Details to follow.