Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
42 1/2ton

Default oil pans

Can anyone tell me what was the application for two piece oil pans in the 1940s?
42 1/2ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: oil pans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 1/2ton View Post
Can anyone tell me what was the application for two piece oil pans in the 1940s?
Trucks with 11" clutches, or so the story goes. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #3
42 1/2ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Trucks with 11" clutches, or so the story goes. DD
Thanks for the info DD
Old 09-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
Mac VP

Bus, heavy trucks.....any of the big commercial vehicles with the 11" clutch. We just picked up one of them last week.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
42 1/2ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
Bus, heavy trucks.....any of the big commercial vehicles with the 11" clutch. We just picked up one of them last week.
Mac and DD since you pointed me in the right direction, the 11 inch clutch seems to be only used for the 4 speed and not the 3 speed, is this correct in your opinion?
Old 09-12-2017, 08:47 PM   #6
cas3

you will find them with 3speeds also, perhaps due to motor swaps. input shaft and pilot bearing are the same so they fit, but way more than what you need for a driver. heavy, and hard on your left leg. change it out if you dont need it
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:48 AM   #7
Mac VP

The 4 speed (to the best of my knowledge) was always matched up with the 11" clutch. The 3 speed transmission was usually matched with the smaller clutches but could be ordered with the 11" clutch.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #8
42 1/2ton

Thanks guys for your help.
The reason I ask these questions is because a friend is at Salem and picked up a two piece oil pan. He is in restoration process of a 1947 tonner and I could not find any info in Ford parts books about this pan. If my assumption is correct this two piece pan could have been used on a 47 tonner and probably with and 11 inch clutch with a 4 speed?
Old 09-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #9
expavr

"If my assumption is correct this two piece pan could have been used on a 47 tonner and probably with and 11 inch clutch with a 4 speed?"

To provide a frame of reference my 40 tonner had a 4 speed trans and 11" clutch. If your friend is intending to show his truck for points he would need to clarify exactly when the 2 piece pan was first made available. If not he should use the 2 piece pan regardless of the transmission type. It will make it easier to access the clutch whether its 9-10-11". If he intends to drive the truck on a regular basis I would suggest he use a 10" clutch with a 3 speed transmission. That combo will make his driving experience a lot more pleasurable without seriously detracting from the usefulness of the truck. Also, a set of 4.11 gears from Chuck's Trucks in lieu of the 4.86's that the truck probably now has will take some stress off the engine running at higher speeds. JMO.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #10
42 1/2ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
"If my assumption is correct this two piece pan could have been used on a 47 tonner and probably with and 11 inch clutch with a 4 speed?"

To provide a frame of reference my 40 tonner had a 4 speed trans and 11" clutch. If your friend is intending to show his truck for points he would need to clarify exactly when the 2 piece pan was first made available. If not he should use the 2 piece pan regardless of the transmission type. It will make it easier to access the clutch whether its 9-10-11". If he intends to drive the truck on a regular basis I would suggest he use a 10" clutch with a 3 speed transmission. That combo will make his driving experience a lot more pleasurable without seriously detracting from the usefulness of the truck. Also, a set of 4.11 gears from Chuck's Trucks in lieu of the 4.86's that the truck probably now has will take some stress off the engine running at higher speeds. JMO.
Thanks for your input. I am sure he will show for points. I think I have enough information from all you guys here on the Barn to continue and see if I can find some Ford parts book or other literature to nail down for a judge that this oil pan is correct.
Thanks to all.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #11
slowforty

I have an 11 inch clutch in my 40 and have never experienced any driving or operating problems.Although replacing the clutch is an interesting operation.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:10 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
I have an 11 inch clutch in my 40 and have never experienced any driving or operating problems.Although replacing the clutch is an interesting operation.
It is having an impact on the vehicle operation! If you are ok with it so be it, but it is not the best option and it does have an impact on performance.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #13
Newc

Hi all; The '47 Tonner at Salem today is going for a Dearborn, and has always had a 4 speed and 2 piece pan. It's from RG 9 Fantastic Concourse field today. I wish I'd had my avatar there to shake things up. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:31 PM   #14
ronzmtrwrx

A friend of mine gave me the engine out of his old retired 47 ton and a half grain truck. Of course it had the big 4 speed and 11" clutch and came from the factory with the two piece pan. I thought about running it but decided not to.
ronzmtrwrx is offline   Reply With Quote