Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2021, 04:30 PM   #1
JOHNCL

Default Cross steering lessons with Unisteer

I have two Unisteer installations on a lowered 1934 truck and a 1924 Track T style hotrod with Model A power. I was lucky on the 34 to get critical dimensions correct from the outset, but on the Track T I had to modify the mounts several times to eliminate roll steer and bump steer. What I learned applies to Vega steering boxes and to original Ford boxes of the cross steer variety.

Lesson 1 is to have the cross steer drag link and the panhard bar of equal length. Because the spindle steering arm on the p-side is beyond where the panhard bar can connect to the axle, the frame mount for the panhard bar is further to the d-side than the drag link's connection to the steering box. The two bars should still be of equal length and parallel.

Lesson 2 is to have the joints on the d-side the same height above the ground when the vehicle is at rest.

Lesson 3 is to have the joints on the p-side the same height above the ground.

Lessons 2 and 3 are VITAL to prevent spooky handling with bumps and with undulations in the road surface. There may be some minor slack with Lesson 1, however with the Unisteer rack being relatively long, the drag link length is shorter than with a Vega or Ford box with a pitman arm. I found the need for exact equality.

I hope this helps people who may have mysterious bump steer and roll steer behavior with cross steering and early Ford solid axles.
JOHNCL is offline   Reply With Quote