Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #41
estout81
BANNED

Default Re: 302 in a 33/34 pickup

I put a 289 Ford engine in a '40 Ford back in the '60's. Didn't alter the body or frame. This was before all the after market came to the rescue! It's not that hard. Oh, I had a 283 Chevy in it before.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #42
34pickup

I love hot rods. I have a 32 coupe with a 302 in it, a 34 pickup with a 348 chevy in it and another car with a bowtie on the title. But I also love original cars, like the 48 coupe I have. But...I usually go over to the HAMB to discuss hot rods and come here to read and discuss ORIGINAL Fords. Just sayin'............
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #43
Ron Pilger

I’ve printed every comment and have dropped them in the snail-mail box. Jacks decision now based on variety of thoughts expressed. Thx.
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:44 PM   #44
2ndgeer

It's amazing how many folks have opinions without actual experience. I put a 302 Ford in my 1934 pickup. I did NOT cut the firewall. I even used the mechanical fan. The secret was a Snow-White (Fresno CA) Opel water pump kit to replace the stock Ford water pump. I added a C4 auto trans so the saddle in the frame was modified. I had air conditioning. The problem with 34 Ford commercial vehicles is the sloping grille shell and the condenser for the AC was a very tight (poor) fit. As a "pure" Ford man ( originally I had a 307 Chevy and a 39 Ford trans) I wanted the truck to be ALL Ford. It is now because I replaced the 302 with a built flathead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engleftside2.jpg (92.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 1968 302" Ford in '34 pickup chassis.jpg (65.6 KB, 66 views)
2ndgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #45
vulture

As said the 289 302 fits nicely with the correct parts. I have put a few into the early fords and used a mechanical fan.
My list of parts are from the ford motor sport book . This would be the the short water pump and pullies . I also used the 90 degree adapter for the oil filter and even use the shorty headers they offer.
The other parts I use come from early bronco 1966 to 1977 and that would be a oil pan and smog bracket . The smog bracket will locate your alt very low on the passenger side to clean up the engine bay.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #46
skidmarks

Does the guy want to just adapt a chevy motor and leave everything else stock or build a street rod?

You can use the 302 with all the right pieces you round up and you can buy a short water pump stick shift 283 and drop it in or buy a 239 out of a 48 to 52 truck and drop it in.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #47
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgeer View Post
It's amazing how many folks have opinions without actual experience. I put a 302 Ford in my 1934 pickup. I did NOT cut the firewall. I even used the mechanical fan. The secret was a Snow-White (Fresno CA) Opel water pump kit to replace the stock Ford water pump. I added a C4 auto trans so the saddle in the frame was modified. I had air conditioning. The problem with 34 Ford commercial vehicles is the sloping grille shell and the condenser for the AC was a very tight (poor) fit. As a "pure" Ford man ( originally I had a 307 Chevy and a 39 Ford trans) I wanted the truck to be ALL Ford. It is now because I replaced the 302 with a built flathead.
Maybe you missed the point in a lot of the post. Don't believe you could pull your 302 installation and install a flathead to get it back to stock. No one is implying you can't install a Ford small block in any early Ford. I have done in many times as have thousands of others. The suggestions were for an installation that required virtually no modifications to the original vehicle which could not easily be undone.

Nice install by the way!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #48
Flathead Fever

Something else to consider is some of the reliability runs and nostalgia events are limiting the entries to having 1953 or earlier engines like flatheads and early overheads such as Cads and Olds engines.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #49
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Maybe you missed the point in a lot of the post. Don't believe you could pull your 302 installation and install a flathead to get it back to stock. No one is implying you can't install a Ford small block in any early Ford. I have done in many times as have thousands of others. The suggestions were for an installation that required virtually no modifications to the original vehicle which could not easily be undone.

Nice install by the way!

A man after my heart. When I've done one of these 'half-breeds', I've always lived by the philosophy of putting it in, with NO modifications that can't be removed easily, leaving NO evidence. NO cutting, NO welding, NO hole-drilling. So, the original engine can go back in, and no butchery will remain.
Just opinion, my way of doing it.

flathead fever makes a good point... there is a run in my area that has this rule. Although, the rule gets 'bent' a little, if you have a hood covering up the engine, sometimes, they will let the rule slide. (especially if you are buddies with the organizers.)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:52 AM   #50
Henry Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
A man after my heart. When I've done one of these 'half-breeds', I've always lived by the philosophy of putting it in, with NO modifications that can't be removed easily, leaving NO evidence. NO cutting, NO welding, NO hole-drilling. So, the original engine can go back in, and no butchery will remain.
Just opinion, my way of doing it.

flathead fever makes a good point... there is a run in my area that has this rule. Although, the rule gets 'bent' a little, if you have a hood covering up the engine, sometimes, they will let the rule slide. (especially if you are buddies with the organizers.)
I don’t think you guys realize that the small block Ford swap described earlier does not require cutting either providing you adapt the engine to the early trans just like any other installation.

There are trans adapters available to do this. I have one and saw not one but two at the Billetproof swap meet at Don Garlits’ last week.

The 1935 -1940 Fords require a deep front crossmember. No cutting there either just grinding out of the rivits. Done correctly the original cross member can be reinstalled with factory type rivits.
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #51
Apperloo

Walking thru a cruise-in yesterday and spotted this rod with a Detroit diesel .......
I prefer all stock, but she was a beaut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1278.jpg (76.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1279.jpg (70.3 KB, 25 views)