Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
Ron Pilger

Default my experience buying from Howells Sheet Metal

I am not a complainer by nature. To get positive action, I tend to try to kill with kindness versus ranting and raving. Having said this, I feel that I have to share Fordbarners my experience buying from Howells Sheet Metal in Beaumont, Texas. I had done my homework on this company before buying replacement sheet metal parts for my 36 3W restoration project. While there were glowing testimonials I also found an uncomfortable number of "red flags" relating to fit quality of parts but mostly to reasonable service levels from the company. I gambled with an order in early June. I was charged $921.28 US$ ($1227.86 Canadian) for the parts order on my Visa card,on June 7th. The sealed cartons arrived in Alberta within the week. Good service.

Absent, but paid for, was a set of door bottoms. I called the company numerous times. No answer. No return of voice mails. No return of emails either. Now a big problem: My Visa card showed a duplicate charge of $921.28 (with currency fluctuations this time the charge in Canadian dollars was $1239.38 Canadian $). This transaction went through on July 9th. So now, i have two charges for the same goods and still no door bottoms.

After weeks of trying I managed to get a staffer one early morning on a call and eventually spoke to the company owner. The missing door bottoms would be coming my way. Whew! Thought the problem was solved. Door bottoms arrived yesterday, August 1st.

The problem is that Howell's have not credited my Visa card for the redundant billing. I've done everything i can to try to reach the company. Phone calls, voice mails, emails. In complete frustration this morning, i contacted the fraud department at Visa. Ball is in their court. Howells is off my list of companies i will conduct business with.
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: my experience buying from Howells Sheet Metal

Stories and experiences like this, the post about LeBaron Bonney, the issues and experiences like people are having with quality 6V condensers......No wonder the hobby is dwindling. I am currently looking for "someone" reputable to refer an older gentleman here in town to that needs the rear main replaced on his coupe, he called me after a couple of unscrupulous people have worked him over!!! SAD.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
rotorwrench

I've never done business with them but I've seen more red flags from both here and the HAMB to steer clear of folks that have screwy business practices. It seems like most of them are from that part of the resto industry too. None of them offer sheet metal for the cars I work on so I don't have much of a choice but to make the stuff myself or find good used.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
Dave Castle

I recently bought a transmission tunnel from Howell's for a 40 pickup, did not come close to fitting. Gentleman I spoke to said to return it, which I did & just like u never received a credit. Had to initiate a dispute with my credit card company to get my money back, never did hear from Howells ?
Dave Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
34pickup

Visa should take care of this for you. Everytime I have had a credit card problem with stolen access or other fraudulent purchases, they take it off my account the next billing cycle.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #6
deuce_roadster

Back in 1998 I purchased a floor for my avatar roadster. It was so bad I scrapped it. Got a nice one from Brookville. Howell's parts remind me of the junk that used to come out of Argentina. Sounds like it hasn't improved any.

If you want repro 32 parts that are pretty nice United Pacific is a good source as well as Brookville. Nothing is perfect like Henry steel but don't fool yourself on price and buy from Howell.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #7

I tried dealing with them twice through EBAY.
Both times they did not supply the part.
They did credit my PayPal account but only after filing complaints both times.
Now when I need '34 sheet metal I just go to the source - Tom Bay at R&J Enterprises.
He delivers quality parts on time at a great price.
95476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #8
Bob C

If you have to use Howell's parts it's better to buy them from another vendor
who sells there parts that way you don't have to deal with the bad customer service.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #9
FHFD

There has been many posts on the HAMB..if you have several hours to read thru them all.
They do not deserve your hard earned dollars.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
TJ

Contact your credit card company ASAP. They should help you get this straightened out.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #11
mrtexas

Haven't had much dealings with Howell sheet metal. I did live in Beaumont where Howell's and Carline are both located for 35 years. Both are sheet metal shops making antique car sheet metal. I got to know Paul, the owner of Carline quite well. Paul only sells wholesale. He has been making and selling sheet metal parts for 20+ years fir Model T and A. A few for v8s as well. He isn't a car guy and makes the parts as he always has. Probably doesn't get much feedback from actual customers using his products. Much of the stuff doesn't fit very well but something may be better than nothing. Carline supplies most of the major Model A/T suppliers with sheet metal parts.

I don't think the fit of the parts will improve unless the wholesale buyers demand it. I'd also recommend buying the sheet metal from retailers to avoid direct dealings with Howell's.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:05 PM   #12
Tony, NY

These types of complaints against Howells have been going on for at least 15 years. I thought the answer was ordering on Ebay. Apparently that is now a bad idea too. I hate to say it but, there were plenty of complaints here and HAMB to steer you away from them.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:24 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95476 View Post
Now when I need '34 sheet metal I just go to the source - Tom Bay at R&J Enterprises.
He delivers quality parts on time at a great price.
I know Tom and live close enough to drive by and pick up what I need. Great guy to deal with, but mostly 33/34 parts with a few 32.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #14
38bill

Don't even mess with the venders. Call your Visa immediately, don't wait as you only have something like 60 days to file a dispute! You will not have to pay the disputed amount at this time.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 12:10 PM   #15
PeteCruz2715

Luckily, I decided to "try" Howell's by buying a few sets of "Cotter Pins". NEVER saw the pins. I've called literally DOZENS of times, NEVER got an answer. I am looking for truck bed sides for an A and have a few questions about the parts they offer. Not many folks supply just the sides so I thought I'd try Howell's again. This time just calling to see if they'll let me know if the bed sides are double sided like the originals. NO answer. I guess I'd better read the writing on the wall and look elsewhere.
PeteCruz2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 12:26 PM   #16
Andy

I would be aware of Tom Bay also. I have experienced bad things from him. Do not pay anything up front.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 01:48 PM   #17
Newc

Howells put me out of business, with cheap poor parts. 32-34 PU's. Door 1/2 skins should have a double direction crown. Not theirs tho. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 12:41 AM   #18
Manuel Mex

Please, I need help!!!
I’m rebuilding a 1925 Model T Pick up

I need the right and left body side panels and the body rear panel, for a 1925 Ford Roadster Pick Up.
Could anybody help me?

Manuel Basurto
[email protected]
956 319 4024
Manuel Mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:54 AM   #19
cas3

I don't think anyone ever reproduced the side panels. The rear could be bought from Snyders or most T suppliers, but try to avoid buying direct from Howells as it usually ends up giving you a headache.
cas3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:58 AM   #20
alchemy

Manuel, you should put this in the T section, not V8.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote