Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #1
Rocketdog1

Default Going to look tomorrow, need advice

Hi all,

New to the group, but several hours of surfing and I feel like I've found a home. I'm going to look at a '31 Fordor and was looking for some input. They claim "all original", though obviously that's not the case. Engine is not original, though I'm told correct for the car and runs well. Paint is certainly not original, and the interior has been redone (very nice, but not to stock). And though I think they look nice, I'm pretty sure Ford never offered this car with white wall tires. So, the "all original" thing is out the window. Assuming the car runs well and drives nice, what sort of value would you place on the car (the asking price is $8K)? Also, it has a passenger side spare as well as a rear mounted spare - was this normal? And, last but not least, is there anything in particular that I should look for when inspecting this particular model?

You're input is greatly appreciated. Should we end up as the proud new owners I'm sure you'll be hearing from me quite a bit!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5667.jpg (67.0 KB, 780 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5669.jpg (57.0 KB, 689 views)
Rocketdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
Steve_Mack_CT

Default Re: Going to look tomorrow, need advice

Welcome to the barn. Depends on what you are looking for in a first model A. Lots of small changes on that one that may not make it the right choice for a high point car, but maybe a decent first A you might enjoy while making some changes, or not, again depending on your own goals. Basic car is a Murray bodied slant window sedan, a nice model. Paint, sealed beam headlights, nice but later wheels and interior all point to someone who wanted to personalize the car to their taste. Those can be tough to resell and usually won't sell for as much as a car closer to stock. I would look to see how it is mechanically, what's been done does look ok, maybe they handledon't mechanical side also.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
Rocketdog1

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm really interested in your basic "Sunday Breakfast" sort of a car. I'm not concerned about little issues that might cost me points at a show, just looking for a decent A to tool around in on a nice summer day. So the headlights and wheels aren't original either?
Old 04-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
Steve_Mack_CT

One more thing, the issue with a car like this is it is neither fish nor fowl, in other words a less than perfect original or more faithful old restoration or a traditional hot rod, if one is going to modify, will find a buyer a lot faster than a car like this. That said it seems reasonable in terms of price if you can use it pretty much as is. Sedans are nice, imo. Good luck with your decision keep us posted!
Old 04-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
Steve_Mack_CT

Look like 16 inch v8 wheels, but that's not necessarily bad, very common on these cars for a little better ride and tire contact. Others I am sure will chime in! :-)
Old 04-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

I always liked the '31 4 door slant window because they have a lot less wood than the other 4 doors. I think I would get rid of the sun visor that was added to the outside above the window. The only reason I mention this is that you might want to check how much effort it would take to do this (probably the first thing I would do). Decide what you need to do to make it the car you want and then add the cost of this to the purchase price and consider if you could buy one in the shape you want. From what I can see it looks like a good car at a reasonable price but it is hard to tell from a picture. Plan on taking a lot of pictures and posting them when you return. Take a knowledgeable Model A person with you when you go to look at the car.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
sphanna

Sure looks like a great car and price for what you described as what you want. Someone has put quite a bit of money into that car and it looks like it was lovingly cared for. I can only guess that the car is mechanicly OK based on the outer appearance. If I was in the market for a car as you described for your purpose, I would definately pursue futher inspection on it.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #8
sphanna

By the way, since you are not interested in making it totaly original, I like the non original sun visor.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #9
Rocketdog1

Yeah, I thought the sun visor looked pretty OK as well......

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Dont worry about the WW tires. A guy at a car show told me my Cabriolet was not original because of the WW tires and I questioned his powder coated rims. He was a powder coat freak and had powder coated everything he could. Henry also never used powder coating. I told him he couldn't wear two hats. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #11
1930artdeco

Welcome to the barn! Other things to check on-assuming they are stock:
-engine bearings if they are poured babbit.
-brakes, if there is any slop then she won't stop well especially if she still has steel drums.

Mike
Old 04-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #12
Rocketdog1

When you say "slop", what exactly are you referring to? Slop in the brake pedal, as in having to push further/harder than anticipated? Or something else?

Checking those bearings would be more in-depth than one could realistically perform on a cursory inspection / test drive - yes? I'm thinking I may just have to take the owners word and base my opinion of the engine on how it runs / sounds / gut feeling. Is there something I can do (fairly quickly) to give an idea of bearing condition that I'm not aware of?

Probably dumb questions (and I'm fairly mechanically inclined), but I've never checked out a car of this vintage and want to know what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Look in the gas tank fill with a flashlight for rust or other junk. Contaminated tanks in these are a PIA very important,,,
Make sure the engine oil is clear and not milky
See if it has shocks ,,, many cars are missing them ,,, that's a G right there
Look for a bad oil leak at the rear main area...
Steering with a lot of play like 2-4 inches or more could mean box or frt end issues....
Follow the hood alignment line down the cowl many of these cars have frame sag
Feel clutch for chatter
The brakes should stop the car quickly and the pedal should not go down to the floor on a panic stop...brake systems in these cars are expensive
Make sure all the doors close evenly and nicely
Maybe you can post pics under the hood from both sides when you are there and the undercarriage frt and rear
Ask if it's still positive 6 volt ground
Stock wiring in these are in looms and it shouldn't look like a birds nest / fire hazard
Make sure where the collumn mounts to the fuel tank that you don't see any fuel stains there..another PIA
See if they run antifreeze or water...

One last thing and I hope you don't think I'm a dick but I am giving you my personal opinion which may vary from others...
This car is not my cup of tea due to the fenders are not black and the body color is not appealing to me. The interior material is totally redone from the way these cars should look.. That being said yes anything can be fixed but I would rather spend a little more to get something more correct.
Good luck on your decision

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 04-28-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #14
Barber31

Welcome to the barn! I recently saw this vehicle listed on Craigslist. You must be in Texas? Good luck with the purchase. My personal opinion is you won't really know how well she is put together till you spend plenty of time inspecting every aspect of it. Something that cannot be done thoroughly in a quick sale. Its basically a matter of is it worth 8k to you.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #15
Rocketdog1

Mitch-

No offense taken at all - different strokes, right? Since I'm not currently subscribing to the "keep it bone stock" mantra, the little things that aren't absolutely original don't really bother me. Again, we're just looking for a nice looking A to putt around in when the sun comes out - and this one looked to fit the bill. I was just looking for learned opinions on approximate value (re: is the seller in the ballpark).

I really do appreciate all of the tips on what to look for.

Thanks again!
Old 04-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

The paint and upholstery isn't my cup of tea either, but the nice thing is that this is a steel framed body, rather than wood framed as on earlier models. Also, I like sedans because of the comfort and room inside, and you can keep your possessions locked up.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #17
Ross/Kzoo

Rocketdog1, you don't state where you are located. Maybe someone from the Barn could go with you check it out. For the price it seems reasonable from the pictures however I didn't know May Kay was around in the 30's.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:04 PM   #18
CarlG

That sunvisor is the bees knees. If I were ever able to get a SW, I would have to get a sunvisor put on it. Looks nekked without it.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #19
Big hammer

8k asking they probably would take less! I don't think 8k you would get hurt. Maybe take someone else with you to look for bad things because it sound like you really want it! Good Luck with your first model A and Wecome to the barn! P.S. We all like pictures
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #20
1930artdeco

By slop I mean worn Clevis pins and bushings in the brake system. This is relatively easy to find out by crawling under the car and literally shaking things. If the brake rods move forwards or back or up and down then the pins are worn. If the brake actuating levers move within the bushings or (in the case of the fronts) not about 15 degrees forward of center they are probably worn. the system itself is not hard to rebuild or costly-until you get to the drums.

These cars came with steel drums which were not meant to be turned. And your brakes will fade fast when hot. Most people replace them with cast iron drums which resist fading and wear better.

As far as the bearings go to get a really accurate picture the pan has to be dropped. But you can remove a plug strap and listen with a stethoscope or screw driver to each cylinder for any thumping noises.

Good luck and if you can take someone with you. Also remember these cars don't have synchros in the tranny so you have to double clutch.

Mike