Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
pat in Santa Cruz

Default Re: Complete Brakes From Snyders

about 10 years ago I spent around 2500 for parts and work from Snyders on brakes for my 30 woodie. I had Bob Rentz assemble and center them on his mill. You cannot go wrong with their quality. Since then, a lot of West coast folks I have met have been satisfied going with Mel Gross, as parts and shipping are less and his work is great too. There is a difference in the drums, Snyders are US made, and Mels are from China. That's an issue with some folks here, as you can see if you search threads on cast iron drums. If its not a problem for you, you might want to give Mel or his son Randy a call and see how their price compares. Mel Gross (in LA) 714-292-8660

BTW, is your station wagon the all original one from the Valley that was at Woodies on the Wharf a couple of years ago?
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #22
A31Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat in Santa Cruz View Post
about 10 years ago I spent around 2500 for parts and work from Snyders on brakes for my 30 woodie. I had Bob Rentz assemble and center them on his mill. You cannot go wrong with their quality. Since then, a lot of West coast folks I have met have been satisfied going with Mel Gross, as parts and shipping are less and his work is great too. There is a difference in the drums, Snyders are US made, and Mels are from China. That's an issue with some folks here, as you can see if you search threads on cast iron drums. If its not a problem for you, you might want to give Mel or his son Randy a call and see how their price compares. Mel Gross (in LA) 714-292-8660

BTW, is your station wagon the all original one from the Valley that was at Woodies on the Wharf a couple of years ago?
Thanks for the info Pat. I'm actually going to be down south in a few weeks. Might be able to save some shipping that way to.

I haven't been to WoW since 1999 when we won best pre-war (or something along those lines). My car (at the time) was an older #s matching restoration. We had engine trouble on the way home, and I still need to get that correct block rebuilt. I have a spare engine in it right now. Hoping to make it over to WoW this year.
A31Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #23
pat in Santa Cruz

there is an enclave of restored original Ford A woodies on the wharf now, over to the right as you enter, against the rail overlooking the boardwalk. John puts his Jan 29 next to my 30, and Chuck parks his 31 next to me. A few other 29s park a bit further toward the end but in the same row, with the exception of Greg who parks his 29 near the Dolphin Restaurant. I guess they do not award best pre war anymore, just peoples choice and woodie owners choice, so the awards primarily seem to go to hotrods with an occasional exception for some really nice original 34-39's or a Packard if one shows up. That does not bother me as that show is more for fun and less about competition anyway, and its always fun.

The Santa Clara Chapter of MAFCA had its tour to the fire truck museum over by Kelly Park today, and a 255A showed up!! BTW, if your woodie is running by April 14, we're doing a tour to Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz. My buddy, John will join us in his 29 150-A and I'll be leading the tour in my 30 150-B. Then in May there will be a combined A and T tour to Hollister and over the old Salinas stage road. You are welcome to come along if you want to.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote