Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Itchy-Pit

Default CA DMV Protocol new registration

Fo my CA brethren, Who knows the best way to register a old car?

I have most of the pieces now for my 1933 Roadster. But I am not sure the best way to go about getting title and registration. With the "New" license applicants clogging the already long lines I want to be prepared as much as possible ahead of time.

I have a stock 33 frame with good #s vsible and not in the system. Already checked. They are as you are aware under the body so with the body on it will be a matter of lifting the body off so DMV person can verify.

I have a couple of engines I can stage in the chassis 36-53. What I don't want is the DMV to use any of them as ID as the car will be titled as the newest of the pair frame and Block are - I believe.

Last question - how much assembly will be required or shall I say minimum to save me a lot of mock work.

Much appreciated.

Dennis
Itchy-Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: CA DMV Protocol new registration

Not sure I understand the engine part, are you talking flathead engines or later model OHV engines? Flathead engines/blocks do not have ID numbers.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
Kahuna

PM sent, Dennis
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

The front-most stamped ID # on a '33 Ford frame is NOT covered by the body. That is the number the car should be titled under. And as JSeery noted, NO serial-type numbers on '36 or '53 flathead engines. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #5
51504bat

Contact a DMV licensed registration service that specializes in vintage cars. They can verify the vin and handle all the DMV paperwork. Doesn't cost all that much and most of them will come to you so you don't have to trailer the car to them. JMO.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #6
banjoQ

ithcy- I think you are going to find that no two CADMV offices are going to give you the same answer to your questions. Talk amongst your friends and try to determine if you have a friendly DMV office near you or not. Most here in the Bay Area are not. I have heard that some are better than others, but I was unable to find the the good one.
You might find that you are going to have to produce a complete car before you can get it registered. They might issue a temporary reg. too help you get it back on the road. However, they no longer give extensions for these. This gives you three months to get what you have to do, done. I won't bore you and the others with my sad tale, just tell you what I did to solve the problem. As of 2013 you either had to bring the vehicle to DMV for verification or have it's vin# signed off by a willing Police officer. I chose the later. It was far easier to find a car guy cop to sign the paperwork off than to invest any more time at DMV. My truck is a mixture of a few trucks and the good folks at the office did not see the humor in it. Initially, they denied my request. They are not really set up for this kind of detective work and could care less. I had to do a lot of jumping through hoops before I was able to get mine registered. You might consider calling Sacramento to get the info you need. Thats what I did. Good luck!
banjoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Mike B

Contact your local CHP office and ask to speak to the Commercial Man, he can set up an officer to come and verify information (s/n, etc)...of course you'll need to have all DMV paperwork on hand for him/her...when you call the DMV ask "what forms do I need" to register and title a xxxx Ford in my name that has no paperwork?

Don't ask for anything else, don't tell them the story behind the car...don't ask open ended questions...just ask for what you want, get the employee name and employee number for reference.

I tell you this from experience...the folks that will call you back are not the same ones you would see in the office...they are not crabby from a long day dealing with folks standing in 2 hour long lines...
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #8
bobH

All the above info is right on. Re post #5, we have a VERY good reg service near us. You can PM me if you want help.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #9
Itchy-Pit

Thanks guys - learned something and good information. -Dennis
Old 07-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #10
qmdv

Hey Itchy-Pit. I like that you are using my Dad in his 34 Roadster at Muroc Dry Lake as your avatar. Here it is with the fenders on in front of their hangout

We both wish we had that car.

You notice the "7" on the side of the car at Muroc. Here is his 32 3 Window and you can see the Road Rebel club plate on the back and can make out the "7" I guess they all had their own number.

Tim
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #11
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Contact a DMV licensed registration service that specializes in vintage cars. They can verify the vin and handle all the DMV paperwork. Doesn't cost all that much and most of them will come to you so you don't have to trailer the car to them. JMO.
X2. I used a registration service in the LA area to register/license a street rod five years ago and without their expertise/connections I would still be dealing with the DMV. Their fee was $150.00 and worth every penny.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #12
qmdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
X2. I used a registration service in the LA area to register/license a street rod five years ago and without their expertise/connections I would still be dealing with the DMV. Their fee was $150.00 and worth every penny.
Do you know of one n Sacramento or Redding area

Tim
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #13
Karl Wolf

Ten years ago, I walked into my Ca. DMV with a CHP number verification and a sheaf of hand written receipts... And realized I didn't have the receipt for the frame... For my 1930 A-V8 roadster... (No one noticed)

The woman who waited on me- her father knew the guy I had bought the body from- charged me $50, plates, taxes, out the door...

Get a CHP verification on the frame numbers, they were very easy for me to deal with, take that to the DMV with receipts... They will register the car as the year it seems to be... Or, you can pay some one else to do that...

Contact me if you're curious to,
Karl.
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #14
papanomad

I used Donna Leek with pro reg service in truckee Ca. sent her form with picture of frame serial number and check and had registration, pink slip and plates in 3 weeks. her email was [email protected]. that was 4 years ago and not sure if she is still in business.
papanomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:57 PM   #15
deucemac

In California also look under Lien Sale services. I had no paperwork at all for mine. The frame was given to me by a close friend and by the time I needed paperwork, he had passed away.Called CHP and they wanted nothing to do with me until car was ready for the road and then needed to truck it to them. I was at a muffler shop and noticed the lien sale company across the street and walked over. The lady took 15 minutes and $150 and I had my title and non-op until the time came to put the car on the road. When I did put it on the road, I took all her paperwork down to my AAA office and less than 30 minutes later had current registration and plates. I don't go to ANY DMV office unless forced to. I've dealt with offices from Sad Diego to Bakersfield and unknowing, unfriendly and knowledgeable staff almost everywhere. Thus my 30 year membership in AAA.
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #16
Itchy-Pit

THANK YOU Papanomad and all of you guys! Terrific banter. An independent sounds like the winning idea here. And AAA is SOOOO much better than DMV. I too hate THE dmv
Old 07-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #17
wspiker

I recommend you just go to DMV and give them what they say they need. I got 'bum' info from CHP. I decided to go straight to DMV. They were very nice and helpful and I got it done. Just be patient and don't carry pre-conceived notions about DMV; it works every time.
wspiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #18
Rusty Junk Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by papanomad View Post
I used Donna Leek with pro reg service in truckee Ca. sent her form with picture of frame serial number and check and had registration, pink slip and plates in 3 weeks. her email was [email protected]. that was 4 years ago and not sure if she is still in business.
Donna did 3 cars for me that I had no papers on this year, NO problems, the only way to go. I will be using her again, highly commended. !!
Old 07-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #19
Itchy-Pit

Spoke to Donna by phone. She was very nice. Will update after we're done. I have no doubt she's the ticket. Thanks guys.

Dennis
Old 07-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #20
blucar

During the past twenty plus years I have dealt with many vehicles from '28-54 that I bought for many reasons, some to restore and some to part out.
After having a terrible experience with a vehicle that turned out to be on the stolen vehicle list, in spite of the fact that it had fallen off of the DMV radar, I started using an independent Auto Registration service here in Ventura.. Very Quick and painless.
I found that the vehicle in question MUST LOOK LIKE A COMPLETE vehicle, ie; engine/trans, wheels/tires, fenders, etc. Condition of the paint, interior means nothing.
All of the serial numbers, body numbers, if they apply (GM, DCPD) must be clearly visible in the correct locations. For the last three plus years the CA-DMV has been requiring two indentification's on vehicles.
I have the DMV agent register the vehicle and get a title and license plates, while at the same time she puts the vehicle on a Non Op.. The agents fee is $150. plus a blank check for the DMV fees.
I like the method I use because if and when I get the vehicle running I only have to get insurance on the vehicle and sent in the current non-op form with the amount shown on the form.. No further inspections of the vehicle is required.
A side benefit is that if I decide to sell the vehicle, the non-op status goes with the vehicle...
I have found that it is very foolish to get a vehicle pretty well done before clear ownership of the vehicle is established..