Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
61 BLACKTBIRD

Default Wrapping the rims on kelsey hayes spoke rims

I would like to talk to someone that has used the black puumbers tape to cover the spoke nubs on the inside of the wire wheel. This allows the use of tubes with the radial tires. Each rim has the sprayed on black material covering the spoke nubs. Where do I go from here ?
Thanks to All
61 BLACKTBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
ford3

Default Re: Wrapping the rims on kelsey hayes spoke rims

the complete inside of the rim needs to be smooth, sanded and painted , never used plumpers tape, always use duct tape, the inside of the rim needs to be smooth because the tube flexes a lot when rolling with radial tires, dont want any rough edges inside the rim to wear on the tube, also use lots of talcum powder inside the tire for the same reason, radial tires really flex and can be hard on tubes
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
franksford

may i suggest cutting an old truck inner tube across the tube and it pull over the rim like a rubber band it has worked well for me. You still will want tp prep the rim as mentioned above. Frank
franksford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
alt63bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford3 View Post
the complete inside of the rim needs to be smooth, sanded and painted , never used plumpers tape, always use duct tape, the inside of the rim needs to be smooth because the tube flexes a lot when rolling with radial tires, dont want any rough edges inside the rim to wear on the tube, also use lots of talcum powder inside the tire for the same reason, radial tires really flex and can be hard on tubes
Over the years, people on various T-bird message boards including Vintage Thunderbird Club International's at www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net have sworn that 10- or 30-mil thick plumber's tape wrapped over the spokes work much better than duct tape because it provides cushion between the spoke nipples and the tube. I've also been told stories of duct tape balling up inside the rim as the adhesive fails over time. But the long story short is that the original style heavy reinforced wheel liner has been almost impossible to find. A person in Seattle, WA claims to have reproduction liners but I've been told that the joint splits and fails. I've asked at local farm/truck tire stores and only one thought they could find a liner that would match the 14x5.5 size of the Kelsey-Hayes wire. Smoothing the inner rim (removing rust and loose chrome plating) will help, but also remember to remove any labels/stickers inside the tire carcass, as these will also cut into the tube, and as recommended above, make sure the pimple-faced kid that's never seen an inner tube in his life uses judicious amounts of talcum powder.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
ford3

63bird, i worded my post wrong, i meant to say i never use plumbers tape, i use duct tape because it sticks to every thing real good
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
61 BLACKTBIRD

I went to a Truck stop and got an old 36 inch diameter inner tube. I then cut 61/2 inch wide bands for the inner liners. Once I stretched them over the rims they worked great. This is how I took care of my problem. No taping and yes I used the Talcum powder like it was snowing.
Thanks for Everyone's help.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
61 BLACKTBIRD

A followup to my above message. Yes, I preped each rim by sanding roughspots, painting, powdering the tire and tube. After installation of the Truck Tire
Bands I did a small amount of trimming on the band to keep it from curling up on the side to interfere with the tire. I do have two rolls of plummers tape if someone can give me a good use for it.
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP
Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
parklane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 BLACKTBIRD View Post
A followup to my above message. Yes, I preped each rim by sanding roughspots, painting, powdering the tire and tube. After installation of the Truck Tire
Bands I did a small amount of trimming on the band to keep it from curling up on the side to interfere with the tire. I do have two rolls of plummers tape if someone can give me a good use for it.
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP
Ya, you can use it on threads (pipe) to stop water, air or most other gases & liquids from seeping past the threads.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
61 BLACKTBIRD

CAUTION for everyone using duct tape as a wheel liner
The first wheel I did was a reconditioned wheel I had restored. the next two I took off the car were banded with duct tape. One wheel had a small amount of duct tape that had been moved by the tube and kind of wadded into a little ball. Where this ball rubbed the tube it had started to wear thru the rubber. If you use duct tape make sure no sticky side of the tape is exposed on the edge that the tube can contact. I really ljke the inner tube bands. The best way to put the bands on is with two people.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
KULTULZ

Post Re: Wrapping the rims on kelsey hayes spoke rims

K-H offered liners to go with the wheels.

If using a radial tire, also use a radial tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wire Wheel Liner.jpg (62.7 KB, 19 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote