Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
Big Shark

Default LeBarron Bonney

I have an issue with my door panels on my 37 tudor sedan. Some of the holes that the clips pop in don't line up. I tried to contact LeBarron Bonney today, three times and left messages. Also e-mailed. Not able to contact a human. Anyone have any ideas? Or similar problems with panels? Bruce
Big Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:18 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: LeBarron Bonney

been said on here that LB was sold and is/has been moved to maine. I had a hard time getting my order from them last winter, so much that I have not even installed the kit I had finally gotten from them. I guess Lee Atherton is rolling in his grave.
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:36 PM   #3
Bursonaw

They have a space at Hershey this week. Could possibly be why your not getting an answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bursonaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:09 AM   #4
DavidG

They are indeed at Hershey.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
Habusailor

I have the same issue with my 35 2door. Now I have a bulge along both door panels right where the creases run Parallel to garnish moldings. They screwed up with the holes around the door latches.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Habusailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:58 AM   #6
Chuck Kuntz

I had the same problem with the door panels on my 36 coupe. Also, the side quarter window panels are not correct. Their quality sure has suffered. I have their 33 tudor interior and am dreading starting on it.
Chuck Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #7
deuce lover

Chuck, I don't know when you ordered and received your '33 interior but the bottom holes on my door panels were off (1/4 " to high).I eventually made them work by fooling with the clips.I called and made them aware of that issue.I bought my interior in Nov 2016.Here is a pic of the panels installed.Still having problems lining up the middle bottom screws on the rear side garnish moldings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33 Ford door panel.jpg (54.2 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 33 Ford side panels.jpg (189.1 KB, 110 views)
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #8
Chuck Kuntz

I ordered mine in 2015. I also had similar problems with a 1932 roadster interior 4 years ago and had a top for a 31 roadster that was too short and had to be replaced. My Dad and I used their interiors in the 1960's and 70's and never had these problems.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
DavidG

Because of inevitable wear and tear on patterns and variations in body components, especially wood-framed doors such as on '33-36 open cars, I learned a long time ago to order the panel cardboard pieces first, fit them to the doors and quarter panels, and then send them back for either replacement with an oversized panel or trimming and then the addition of the padding and upholstery material. That practice saves a lot of time and avoids disappointments. To expect a perfect fit from a kit when no two bodies are absolutely identical in all respects is unrealistic.

Ford recognized this when it built the cars by specifying that certain upholstery and top fasteners not be installed in accordance with the dimensions on the engineering drawings, but rather were to be installed in the assembly plants to fit the actual hole placement in the individual bodies.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #10
glennpm

That's a great suggestion David.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #11
woodiewagon46

I talked to the people at Hershey and a message clearing up all the rumors will be coming out soon. Only the custom work has been moved to Maine, they are still at the same facility.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:35 AM   #12
Chuck Kuntz

The problems reported are not for open cars or wood framed doors. The second top they sent for the 29 roadster fit well without us returning the first one. They need to clean up their act.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #13
DavidG

My comments apply equally to closed car panels as well, based on four of them that I've restored using LeBaron Bonney upholstery. They have had some problems admittedly, but they are working diligently to sort them out.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #14
rotorwrench

I have seen the videos of their facility under what ever ownership was there 10-years ago or so. They have special computer controlled cutting tables. The panel boards are cut for shape and for clip holes by the computer aided system. The robotic arms do the precision cutting.

I have no idea what kind of variations exist in the various body designs and model years of the early Ford automobiles but I'm sure some variations exist. It sound like they need to do an audit of their program patterns and make sure that they haven't been compromised. There is also a chance of operator error in any machine like that. This stuff really can speed manufacture up but accuracy is all in the art of set up for the patterns. If their product is inaccurate then they need to fix it.

I've made my own panel boards since no one makes stuff for the mid century Mercury cars unless it is a convertible and the thick stuff is not easy to punch holes into. I would love to have the equipment that they have but it's too rich for my blood. I would buy LeBarron Bonney if they made stuff for the cars I have.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #15
Kerk

I concur with David G. comment. above Kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #16
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Because of inevitable wear and tear on patterns and variations in body components, especially wood-framed doors such as on '33-36 open cars, I learned a long time ago to order the panel cardboard pieces first, fit them to the doors and quarter panels, and then send them back for either replacement with an oversized panel or trimming and then the addition of the padding and upholstery material. That practice saves a lot of time and avoids disappointments. To expect a perfect fit from a kit when no two bodies are absolutely identical in all respects is unrealistic.

Ford recognized this when it built the cars by specifying that certain upholstery and top fasteners not be installed in accordance with the dimensions on the engineering drawings, but rather were to be installed in the assembly plants to fit the actual hole placement in the individual bodies.
Dave, like you, I have done this very same thing. Even with doors sans any wood, it is, in my opinion, unreasonable to think that all doors were created equal.

Guys need to remember (I know you understand) that these were low priced vehicles manufactured on a massive scale.

Convertible tops? If and when I have purchased one, I never, and I mean NEVER have the snaps installed for the same reason noted prior...
Old 10-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #17
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
My comments apply equally to closed car panels as well, based on four of them that I've restored using LeBaron Bonney upholstery. They have had some problems admittedly, but they are working diligently to sort them out.
Dave,
I am in the same camp as you - LB is in fact working very hard to maintain / restore their great reputation.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #18
Kerk

Smile Re: LeBarron Bonney

In spoke with the new owner at Hershey and he assured me he was working hard to keep up the GOOD name the Co. had. I tried to express that COMMUNICATION was VERY important. ""He is working on it."" I was told. KERK
Old 03-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #19
Big Shark

Here are some pics of my door panels. https://photos.app.goo.gl/zfAEVrox93rLBwiX8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zfAEVrox93rLBwiX8
Big Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #20
supereal

When we encounter problems in matching door panel clips, it is usually due to the panels having been replaced at some time with non-stock items. If you are using the pop-in two legged style clips, you have to drill corresponding holes in the door frame.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #21
richard crow

i get my inter. from cartouch half the price & JUST AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #22
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
i get my inter. from cartouch half the price & JUST AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER
Cartouche? Better? Wow! Not from what I've witnessed. "OK", sure.
I'm glad you are happy with it.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #23
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shark View Post
I've removed some old original panels and frankly I've never seen panel clips like the ones in your original panel. Not saying that they are not original, I've just never seen them. It's possible there were some running changes done by Ford early in the production year and the patterns used by LB could have come from the later type panel?
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #24
DavidG

As Tom said, those are most unusual clips on your original panel and unlike any I've seen on other original Ford door trim panels. But what matters are the clips on your replacement panel and where they are located relative to the holes in the doors.

While you did not mention how far off the clip holes in the trim panel are from where they should be to fit your door inner panel, I would not drill holes in the inner panels to achieve alignment. Rather I would peel off the upholstery material from the cardboard foundation panel and punch in the holes for the new clips where you want them. Reattach the upholstery material with contact cement (applied sparingly in accordance with the instructions on the container) and you're good to go. Been there, done that.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #25
rotorwrench

I think LB has a big computer aided cutter table that produces the door panel boards. If the program is off or there are differences between body manufacturers then the clip hole alignment may be off. David has the best solution to that problem but it's not really one a product consumer wants to experience. The resto demons strike again.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 03-11-2019 at 05:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #26
richard crow

you guys are rating l.b from past history i lot of water has gone under the bridge since than
Old 03-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #27
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
you guys are rating l.b from past history i lot of water has gone under the bridge since than
I am rating LB from VERY current dealings with them. I've been pleased in their service as well as their product.
And for the record, I would never accept anything that was not correct and of top quality.
While I have no doubt others have had some issues as of late, I can speak only of my experiences - all good.
This latest project, a '38 Buick coupe is the sixteenth "kit" I've purchased from them.

I had inspected Cartouche's offerings just last year as like you say, they are much more reasonable on many items. I found the materials to be of very poor quality in comparison to LB and at least for what I was looking at, just plain incorrect.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:58 PM   #28
DavidG

While my experience with them does span a far amount of history (50+ years as a customer), like Mike I am speaking of my most recent experience which is within the last four months.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:57 AM   #29
Kerk

I know Lee used to go across the pond to the factorys that he bought his materials from to be sure they were what he wanted quality wise! kx
Old 03-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #30
JR48

About 18 months ago, maybe a little more, I ordered a complete upholstery kit and soft top for my 34 Cabriolet. As I live in New Zealand the shipment was first sent to LA where it was consolidated and then on-shipped to NZ by sea. So months later it turns up in NZ, but LESS the all important top hood! Of course, by then the returns/complaints period had elapsed and they were not obligated to do anything about it. And they didn't do anything about it! And I'm still without it. A very disappointing result from a company that once had a top reputation.
JR48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #31
richard crow

heres what i did i ordered a sample kit from lb for my 40 ford i than ordered a kit from cartouch when the samples arived i asked several people if they could tell the difference they could not do you think lb makes there own materal or do they buy it from venders lets do a servay whitch is better
Old 03-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #32
DavidG

You're kidding, right? No seller of upholstery kits makes their own fabrics. Textile weaving is an entirely different industry requiring lots of capital as production looms aren't inexpensive. Cartouche and LeBaron Bonney could be buying fabrics from the same textile manufacturer, but it seems that they are not or at least not the same grade of material which would go a long way to explain the difference in the prices of their kits.

JR48,

Did you order and pay for the top boot (hood) separately? It was always a separate item and not included in their top kits. If you did not do so, you have no grounds to complain.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #33
rotorwrench

I don't know of anyone active in the trim industry in the USA that has there own weaving loom machines to make fabric cloth. Companies like Textron and Berkshire Hathaway got out of the business many years ago. Most of that stuff is overseas now but there may be some small companies in the US that still do specialized weaving for a price.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:29 AM   #34
Maudslay

Usually the holes on door panels don’t line up. The clips are off set. Check your clips, as they have a play of about 1/4 inch. Good luck.
Maudslay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #35
rotorwrench

Especially since LB just bought the farm last Friday the 15th.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #36
DavidG

Beware of the Ides of March!

A touch of irony, to say the least.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #37
tubman

Hey! Literacy. I like that.

What I don't like is bad news like this.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:14 PM   #38
Digger

Wow, a legend out of business. I used them many times, factually Cartouche or whatever it is, was not even close. Admittingly, over the years LB was declining in quality and service. My thoughts are, did they go under because of declining business practices and willingness to adapt, or declining need? I understand all of us here on this site need them, but outside of that, how many customers are really out there for them? Many have touched on it, that Millennials have no interest or clue about old cars, and it is absolutely true. Without a regeneration of clients, I can see how this happened.

I will totally miss them. Now we have to rely on our local guys, or research, and each other to get our interiors right, and I know most of us really care about what it will look like. It matters to us. I hope someone secures the patterns.
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:39 PM   #39
Bursonaw

This news is truly a blow to our hobby. I had called them this past Monday to order a top and side curtains for my 36 Roadster but did not get a reply to my message. I lucked out on not getting caught up in them going out of business.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get a quality top and side curtains? I looked at Cartouche but they don’t even offer the right color fabric that Lebaron Bonney had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bursonaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:43 PM   #40
Carl

....so, restored cars with a LeBarron interior just went up in value.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #41
sidevalve8ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
....so, restored cars with a LeBarron interior just went up in value.
You may well have a very good point there, Carl.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:18 PM   #42

I received a box from L/B today.
Inside it was a headliner and some panels.I ordered a complete kit and I guess this was sitting waiting for the rest to be put together so they sent it out.
They sent it on the day they filed for Chapter 7.
The headliner probably wont match anything out there so it won't do me much good.
At least someone there tried.
I feel bad for the employees who lost their jobs.
I can always figure out something that will work for the interior, these people have their lives turned upside down.
95476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:13 AM   #43
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95476 View Post
I feel bad for the employees who lost their jobs.
I can always figure out something that will work for the interior, these people have their lives turned upside down.
Well said.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #44
flatford8

I’ve used their products (not any where near what others have)and was happy with service/price. They sold a quality product that wasn’t cheap. You get what you pay for. The posters on this site certainly weren’t their only customers. So, how does the company go “tits up”??...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #45
rotorwrench

When LB started up years ago, It likely started in a garage before growing to what it became. The original ownership undoubtedly did a good job of management to last so long through thick and thin. When a company loses it's original management and has high overhead due to bank loans and all that, it can get ravaged by economic factors or poor management (or some combination). I have no idea what the situation was but we can now see the results. I'll miss the videos. It was nice to go back to them now and then for encouragement.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #46
petehoovie

Today, from Hemmings Classic Car > https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/0...cy/?refer=news

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #47
DavidG

Based on the dates in that article, I must have been among their very first customers for a non-Model A Ford interior and top. It was for a '32 deluxe roadster and it was 1964. I recall Jack Atherton explaining that they would be happy to do it, but they had no patterns. So I supplied them with an original interior and copies of the original engineering drawings for the top components and side curtains from Ford's archives. Seems like only yesterday, although they've done ten others for me in the interim.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #48
Ken/Alabama

Hopefully somehow all those patterns can be saved. They worked with me on the upholstery for my 39 Zephyr. I was able to supply them with the patterns they lacked for the Zephyr.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote